PDA

View Full Version : Security @ Tesco

Julia
05-Oct-07, 22:05
Once I got home this evening and unpacked my shopping only then did I notice I had bought an allegedly 'security protected' item, I opened the box and the first thing I found was the wee grey security device which is supposed to activate the alarms at the door. Needless to say the alarm did not go off, so much for 'security protected'.

northener
05-Oct-07, 22:08
Sorry to tell you Julia, but it's a tracking device.

Tesco's elite security force will kick in your front door anytime now:)

TBH
05-Oct-07, 22:11

Tesco's elite security force will kick in your front door anytime now:)That's what they have club cards for.:lol:

laguna2
05-Oct-07, 22:26
... stand back from the shopping ... you have been warned .... in 5 seconds it will explode ...... :eek:

Dog-eared
05-Oct-07, 22:29
You'll get a fixed penalty notice through the mail.
It helps to cut down on court time.

Julia
05-Oct-07, 22:34

Tesco's elite security force will kick in your front door anytime now:)

Thanks for the heads up, I managed to catch the neighbours cat and tie the tracking device to it's collar!

j4bberw0ck
05-Oct-07, 22:46
I'm not sure whether you're serious or not, but on the off-chance, it's called an RFID and its unique ID number was read - and updated to the store security systems - by the till when your goods were scanned and paid for, so it didn't set the exit alarms off. RFIDs cost about 10 cents (5p) each. Once someone manages to get the price down to 1 cent you'll be lucky if you can avoid ingesting them with every mouthful you eat.

Riffman
05-Oct-07, 22:59
I bought a DVD player from tesco, and found a wee taggy thing inside when I got home....

...had no visits yet....

Julia
05-Oct-07, 23:09
I'm not sure whether you're serious or not, but on the off-chance, it's called an RFID and its unique ID number was read - and updated to the store security systems - by the till when your goods were scanned and paid for, so it didn't set the exit alarms off. RFIDs cost about 10 cents (5p) each. Once someone manages to get the price down to 1 cent you'll be lucky if you can avoid ingesting them with every mouthful you eat.

Ahh, I see, so it would only activate the alarm if I had not paid for the goods? Wouldn't the security tag itself need to be scanned, it was sealed inside the box.

j4bberw0ck
05-Oct-07, 23:14
It was scanned - inside the box! It's passed though an electrical field which induces a current inside the device (only a tiny one), which then transmits its ID signal by radio (RFID - Radio Frequency Identification - geddit??) to the till so it can be "ticked off" on the database of goods.

Clever stuff. Wish I'd invented it.........

TBH
05-Oct-07, 23:21
The tags, (Sensormatic hard security tags), used there should be removed after the purchase, they should set the alarms off whether the item has been paid for or not.

j4bberw0ck
05-Oct-07, 23:30
Wrong tags, I think. The ones you're thinking of are hard plastic things locked to (usually) clothes. Contain ink and a simple RFIDthat's detected by the scanners at the exit.

These are little cardboardy things typically inside packaging. They're not removed.

Julia
05-Oct-07, 23:34
The tag I found is a hard plastic, it looks like a big grey jelly baby

TBH
05-Oct-07, 23:39
The tag I found is a hard plastic, it looks like a big grey jelly babyWith a blue button on it, if so, that's a hard tag?
Tesco are using rfid's experimentally, attached to cages and produce crates to trace their goods from the supplier to the store.

j4bberw0ck
05-Oct-07, 23:43
Oh well. If it's non-removable, or inside the package, it's an RFID, unless the local Tesco employs fairies and pixies or perhaps gnarled old wizards. Whilst I wish I'd invented them and so made my fortune, I regret I can't be responsible for grey jelly babies as opposed to cardboardy things, strips of plasticky stuff, little round nondescript blobs, swallowable capsules or the many other guises they appear in! :lol::lol:

j4bberw0ck
05-Oct-07, 23:48
Here you go - try this (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1001211,00.html). A bit old, but it's what comes back if you Google "Gillette Mach 3 rfid" which is one of the prime uses for RFIDs. One of the most nicked pieces of merchandise. Or used to be.

Julia
05-Oct-07, 23:52
Here is a pic of the 'grey jelly baby'

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/jmbudge/Photo-0062.jpg

TBH
05-Oct-07, 23:55
Here you go - try this (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1001211,00.html). A bit old, but it's what comes back if you Google "Gillette Mach 3 rfid" which is one of the prime uses for RFIDs. One of the most nicked pieces of merchandise. Or used to be.
You couldn't get a gillette mach 3 off the shelf in boots the chemists, you got a little card from the shelf which you took to the counter and then they gave you your razors.:lol:

TBH
05-Oct-07, 23:58
Here is a pic of the 'grey jelly baby'

That's a sensormatic hard security tag.

Julia
06-Oct-07, 00:06
Boring I know but I googled sensormatic hard security tag, didn't know there were so many kinds, i.e. kittens, pencils, mini pencils, gators. I shall now refer to the 'grey jelly baby' with it's correct title of mini pencil, although it does look more like a jelly baby than a pencil.

Lolabelle
06-Oct-07, 08:40
But... should it have gone off at the security thingo, near the door??? That's what I want to know!

ashaw1
06-Oct-07, 09:13
Being an ex Tesco employee who worked with these tags it looks to me that you just got a dodgy tag. When an item is over £10 the box is opened by a member of staff and the tag is placed inside and the box is re-sealed. These tags are used thousands of times and have often been used in another store before being transferred. They are used for hundreds of different items and are often trod on , sat on or kicked about the floor for a while so it is no wonder some of them have stopped working.In most instances they do work.

Julia
06-Oct-07, 11:54
Pity it won't work, I could of had some fun loitering near the door setting the alarms off when unsuspecting shoppers pass by [lol], plus I'd have to catch the neighbours cat first!

mccaugm
06-Oct-07, 17:22
Ahh, I see, so it would only activate the alarm if I had not paid for the goods? Wouldn't the security tag itself need to be scanned, it was sealed inside the box.

I bought a bottle of Whiskey for my father last Christmas from Tesco in Wick. I paid for my shopping and the beeper went of as I left the store...very embarassing. The boy on the till had not removed it from the Whiskey container...

When still living in Ross-Shire I was shopping in the "Big Tesco" and paid for my shopping. Beeper started going off....did not know why. Turned out it was a wallet I had bought in London 3 years previously, which still had a security tag in it. The security guard was a little over zealous and I am afraid to say I was not very nice to him...:roll:

Welcomefamily
06-Oct-07, 22:41
Its certainly puts you in the spot light, when wick first opened, it seemed to happen every time, soon my wife and kids would rush on ahead just in case, the staff have improve or its turned off.

bluelady
07-Oct-07, 12:14
we had one go off in e Tesco's Inverness store, we had a huge TV in e trolley and boy, it certainly woke e security man up, especially when my old man walked out e store and left me stood there with it. The so and so [lol]

Dadie
07-Oct-07, 13:42
i wonder if anyone collects these tags ... like stamp collecting ..

hotrod4
07-Oct-07, 14:26
The big grey jelly baby is like gold dust!
I am always looking for them to security protect goods.
I often have to fight with the girls on the clothing dept to get my hands on them(the tag not the girls!!)

cuddlepop
07-Oct-07, 15:09
Has anyone else noticed that certain "all weather proof" jackets set off these alarms too.

Refused to go shopping with my OH if he had on that "dodgy" jacket on :lol: