PDA

View Full Version : help

gofor
05-Oct-07, 20:38
my poor car has broken down, covered by mechanical breakdown insurance but the nearest garage they use is livingston, so i have to get it there can't drive it as oil pump not working properly. so i thought a car transporter but they won't hire one to you if the car towing is under 2ltr so i need a A-frame towbar but nobody hires them in or about inverness. anybody hire them in caithness:~(

fred
05-Oct-07, 21:21
my poor car has broken down, covered by mechanical breakdown insurance but the nearest garage they use is livingston, so i have to get it there can't drive it as oil pump not working properly. so i thought a car transporter but they won't hire one to you if the car towing is under 2ltr so i need a A-frame towbar but nobody hires them in or about inverness. anybody hire them in caithness:~(

An A-frame would be illegal if you were setting off from home, a trailer would be illegal unless you were towing it with something big as the weight of the trailer would exceed the weight of the towing vehicle. A towing dolly may be legal if it is one that has brakes.

Easiest way is just to use a rope and get someone to tow you.

gofor
05-Oct-07, 21:25
we thought about that but it is a fair distance from inverness to livingston but was informed by police an a frame is ok as long as the car is insured,got a current mot and road taxed

TBH
05-Oct-07, 21:56
How about asking for special dispensation to use a local garage otherwise you are going to get the car to livingston then get it fixed and cancel your insurance with that company?

iain
05-Oct-07, 22:15
Got to be a fixed tow,ropes are legally out the window.I think

fred
05-Oct-07, 22:30
we thought about that but it is a fair distance from inverness to livingston but was informed by police an a frame is ok as long as the car is insured,got a current mot and road taxed

You have a defence then if the police told you it was legal.

The law regarding towing is complicated but in most cases an A frame can only be used for recovery purposes. There are some A frames that have an over-run braking system that applies the brakes on the car being towed when the car towing brakes which combined with a trailer board on the vehicle being towed are legal. I think if you have someone sitting in the car being towed working the brakes and indicators it may be legal as well.

ashaw1
06-Oct-07, 09:04
Pity you didn't realise this before taking out your breakdown cover. I take it you will be looking elsewhere next time.