View Full Version : Famous Caithness Folk

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Aug-05, 15:53
Hmmm... is there any? :eyes

johnl
14-Aug-05, 16:39
Alexander Bain Watten inventor of the electric clock
Robert Dick Thurso Geologist
To name but two their are others but can't recall at present.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Aug-05, 16:47
Does Dopey Dan count, do you think? For such a legend I'd be surprised if there wasn't any pix of him out there. C'mon y'all, send some in. Shouldn't the Town Clock church in Thurso be dedicated to him in his honour? Dan Miller - we hardly knew ye.

Dusty
14-Aug-05, 16:48
Sir William Smith Boy's Brigade founder.

Dusty
14-Aug-05, 16:53
I forgot Sir John Sinclair who had the Old Statistical Account of Scotland compiled.
Wasn't there someone from Caithness who was involved in the founding of the Russian Navy?

scotsboy
14-Aug-05, 16:59
Arthur StClair 9th US President

EDDIE
14-Aug-05, 17:24
Well pepsi challenge its been a long time since ive heard the name Dopey Dan.He most certanily was well known in the community when he was alive.I dont think he was always a tramp though.

hereboy
14-Aug-05, 17:40
what about the one that makes the freezers - is she not famous, winning business awards and such.

or the one from Halkirk who has her TV show about hanging curtains and the like?

or the chiel Gunn who lifts heavy things and was world champion of lifting heavy things.

or the local doctors loon who played rugby for Scotland....

or the chiel from Glengolly who played in goal for Norwich and was Scotlands third reserve...

there are plenty famous people from Caithness... we must be a bit like that village in Ireland that has the most millionaires per head, Caithness has the most famous people per head - there are only about 30,000 of us.... every second person you meet is infamous....

bacardibabe
14-Aug-05, 17:47
slevery geordie.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Aug-05, 17:48
Interesting.

I know Jim Sutherland (formerly of Mount Vernon, Thurso) produces soundtracks music for notable films and TV shows. He produced Aberfeldy's debut album, and has Gold and Plantinum Albums for his performance on Page & Plant's No Quarter album. I remember seeing him on Page & Plant's MTV Unplugged performance a few years back. Does that make him famous?

And what about Kevin Williamson? He founded publishers Rebel Inc., and "discovered" Irvine Welsh. It wasn't so long ago he brought the Scottish Parliament to a standstill when he put on a George Bush mask and danced around in the public gallery. A touch of class. Famous in my eyes anyway.

Keep 'em coming, folks.

brokencross
14-Aug-05, 17:55
Alexander Bain was a clever chappie, he invented the first Fax machine way back in 1843. Invented a few other bits and bobs too. Here is a little biography, http://chem.ch.huji.ac.il/~eugeniik/history/bain.html

hereboy
14-Aug-05, 17:57
Wasn't there someone from Caithness who was involved in the founding of the Russian Navy?

Aye, it was Peter the Great - from the Canisbay Greats.... ;)

caithnessgirl
14-Aug-05, 18:09
what about the one from thurso side who has her own paint range etc etc? and the one from the scottish blend advert!!

KitKat
14-Aug-05, 18:17
Anne Mckevitt, nee Wares from Thurso: Interior designer
Aline Mowat, actress
Glenna Morrison, actress
Colin Boyd, Lord Advocate for Scotland, not born here but did his secondary education at Wick High
Susan Hampshire, actress, spent some of her childhood here.

I'm sure there are sculptors, artists and writers as well but can't think of them at the moment.

MagicalTrevor
14-Aug-05, 18:26
As someone has already half mentioned - Bryan Gunn former Norwich goalkeeper (that was when Norwich were Premier League material ;) )

Alli
14-Aug-05, 18:58
Bobby Coghill was a very famous Piper/accordian/fiddle player

colmac
14-Aug-05, 19:23
Arthur StClair 9th US President
I don't think so. No US president with that name unfortunately.

trinkie
14-Aug-05, 19:44
James Bremner , Wreck Raiser.
Born in Keiss 1784
He raised the SS Great Britain in 1874.
and many other ships

Neil Gunn, Author
born Dunbeath 1891.
The Silver Darlings, Butcher's Broom etc.

Christina Keith, author
born Thurso
Wrote The Russet Coat, a study of Burns' Poetry
and several other books.

Donald Campbell, author
born in Caithness 1930 / 40s
wrote The Jesuit and The Widows of Clyth
and others.

Gordon Gunn,
Traditional Fiddler, born in Wick 1970s?
Superb music

trinkie
14-Aug-05, 19:48
Jock Davidson, house plant expert and broadcaster.
Published book on house plants.

born Wick 1920s served in 2nd World War

golach
14-Aug-05, 19:52
Alexander Bain of Watten also invented the Fax machine

lasher
14-Aug-05, 21:28
How about swivel neck from Ulbster, seen him on tv once!

katarina
14-Aug-05, 21:40
Proffesor Ian Scott, who must be at least on a par with Dali and Piccasso, and who incidentally has made the face of George Robertson more famous than 'Whistler's Mother.'

scotsboy
15-Aug-05, 05:01
FAO Colmac http://www.arthurstclair.com/

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Aug-05, 07:47
You just couldn't make it up, could you? This county will NEVER cease to amaze me. What next - Elvis used to stay at the Scapa House Hotel during the Cold War? Johnny Fatts is really Jimi Hendrix? Robert Dick discovered aliens in Scrabster (a half truth admittedly)?

Next you'll be saying Monica Lewinsky used to go to Thurso High School. ('Ahem!')

franny
15-Aug-05, 19:22
Proffesor Ian Scott, who must be at least on a par with Dali and Piccasso, and who incidentally has made the face of George Robertson more famous than 'Whistler's Mother.'

Calm down, on a par with Dali and Picasso??? not quite

hereboy
15-Aug-05, 20:00
Calm down, on a par with Dali and Picasso??? not quite

be fair now, Picasso or Dali never did a Japanese phonecard or a Wet, Wet, Wet single cover now did they? ;)

colmac
15-Aug-05, 21:52
FAO Colmac http://www.arthurstclair.com/

www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/index2.html DRAT!! I can never get URL's to work on here. :confused
If you go to this website it lists all the US presidents starting with the first one, George Washington, right through to the current one. George Washington didn't become the first US President until 1789 so I don't see how Arthur Sinclair could have been the 9th US president in 1787. I don't claim to be an expert on US history, but surely if a former US president came from Thurso it would be well known and much made of it? I DO know however, that now anyhow, you need to be BORN in the US to be a US president. Not naturalised. It must be an Urban legend.......

Naefearjustbeer
15-Aug-05, 22:20
From the site http://www.arthurstclair.com

In this landmark work on Early Presidential History, Historian Stanley L. Klos unravels the complex birth of the US Presidency while providing captivating biographies on the Four Presidents of the Continental Congress and ten Presidents of the United States before George Washington. The book is filled with actual photographs of Pre-Constitutional letters, resolutions, treaties, and laws enacted by the Confederation Congress and signed by the Presidents of the Confederation Congress as “President of the United States

DrSzin
15-Aug-05, 22:40
Isn't there some guy who writes regularly for the Scotsman? He must be famous. :D

I'm editor of a book that was published a few weeks ago. Does that make me famous too?

Maybe all we famous people should meet up in a pub and watch some footie.

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Aug-05, 23:02
Isn't there some guy who writes regularly for the Scotsman? He must be famous. :D

I'm editor of a book that was published a few weeks ago. Does that make me famous too?

Gee whizz, Szin, you fairly get about. Is it a conceptual scratch 'n' sniff book? I dunno about The Scotsman, but a certain Ian Swanson is the political editor for its sister paper, The Edinburgh Evening News. Footie? I hear there's a Ross County bar in Edinburgh somewhere. Must check it out sometime.

golach
15-Aug-05, 23:34

Gee whizz, Szin, you fairly get about. Is it a conceptual scratch 'n' sniff book? I dunno about The Scotsman, but a certain Ian Swanson is the political editor for its sister paper, The Edinburgh Evening News. Footie? I hear there's a Ross County bar in Edinburgh somewhere. Must check it out sometime.

Right you pair, come on make a commitment, how about the Standing Order at a time of your choosing, I have the time if ye hev the money

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Aug-05, 00:25
The Standing Order, golach? Are you really that skint? You better be, 'cause no-one I know would go there unless they were uttery rooked. The Pond, in Leith (beside Seafield) is a quality bar well worth taking the time to get to. As is the little-known Star in Northumberland Street. It's tucked into a wee corner, and given its location has a surprising wide-spectrum of people. A bit like The Phoenix, another quality boozer on Broughton Street.

Once you've steered clear of George Street and the West End, golach, give us a shout.

golach
16-Aug-05, 08:45
Pepsi the Standing order was only a suggestion, and in the centre of town, as for Seafield its not an area I would hing around at night, the Star is not on a bus route, and I wont even comment on the Phoenix, but the Barony is a bitty better

honestjohn
17-Aug-05, 20:53
Noel Donaldson [lol] [lol]

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Aug-05, 01:42
Noel Donaldson? A legend in his own bathroom, perhaps.

So, golach, how about that pint?

DrSzin
18-Aug-05, 10:10
So, golach, how about that pint?
Yes, indeedy, how about that pint, golach?

I still owe you one from a year ago today -- guess who rarely clears out his email.

weeboyagee
18-Aug-05, 10:15
Aye Golach,.....how about a pint right enough?! In the Tynie Arms as you call it :D - might as well while we're at the top (not that we might be there long???) I might even buy - and the rest of you guys are free to join us!....

DrSzin
18-Aug-05, 10:26
The Tynie Arms? But golach's a Hibbee! They'll no let him in! lol:

golach
18-Aug-05, 10:30
Lol No way weeboyagee, I would be barred from all the pubs in Easter Road, enjoy your time at the top o the league, as long as we can keep the west coasters off the top I am happy

Green_not_greed
18-Aug-05, 12:25
Bunty Gunn - lives at Banniskirk, ex presenter of "How!"

Steve McLeod - ex Thurso, now in London - photographer of the famous

Johnny Fatts - leading houseplant expert.......

RobRoy
18-Aug-05, 18:49
Arthur St. Clair was the only foreign born "President", but he was the President of the Continetal Congress, the 15th 2nd to the last from February 2, 1787 to January 21, 1788. All the Presidents of the Continental Congress signed documents "President of the United States" and this is where most of the confusion comes from.

marion
18-Aug-05, 20:57
From the site http://www.arthurstclair.com

In this landmark work on Early Presidential History, Historian Stanley L. Klos unravels the complex birth of the US Presidency while providing captivating biographies on the Four Presidents of the Continental Congress and ten Presidents of the United States before George Washington. The book is filled with actual photographs of Pre-Constitutional letters, resolutions, treaties, and laws enacted by the Confederation Congress and signed by the Presidents of the Confederation Congress as “President of the United States

Excellent history lesson on the four presidents of the Continental Congress. Something new for me to read. Thank you.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Aug-05, 21:44
Hi Marion,

Is the Hotel Tucson still in effect? I saw a rock show there once.

marion
19-Aug-05, 05:59
Hi Marion,

Is the Hotel Tucson still in effect? I saw a rock show there once.

No Hotel Tucson listed in the telephone directory.

DrSzin
19-Aug-05, 10:09
Hey Marion, I'll likely be in Tucson for a week next July (allegedly staying here (http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=TUSSP)). Fancy a beer?

mike.mckenzie
19-Aug-05, 10:16
I was on Byker Grove with Ant and Dec and have had some of my music used on the tele, does that make me famous?

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Aug-05, 17:02
Marion, sorry; it was the Hotel Congress. Watching the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion back in '96.

captain chaos
19-Aug-05, 20:00
How about Dr Jack Dunnett . You'll probably not have heard the name that often but the chances are you have eaten his potatoes

His success as a breeder of new potato varieties has been remarkable: his trio of export varieties, Winston, Argos, and Valor generates annually a demand for some five thousand tonnes of Scotch seed potatoes, mostly for planting in Middle Eastern countries where potato stocks deteriorate rapidly due to virus infection. His variety Nadine, besides being one of the top varieties in the British market, is the leading variety in New Zealand and is increasingly grown in Australia, partly for export to South East Asia. Varieties such as Osprey, Harmony and Kestrel also appear regularly in British supermarkets, while Mimi, his latest variety, won the RHS Award of Garden Merit, In addition to the nine already mentioned, another eleven varieties are on the UK National List.

Not bad for a caithness chiel

hereboy
19-Aug-05, 20:43
as my mither always says

"tatties - a meal 'n themsels"

Dr Jack Dunnett - I salute you sir!

marion
19-Aug-05, 21:15
Marion, sorry; it was the Hotel Congress. Watching the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion back in '96.

The Hotel Congress is still there and going strong with its old west charm.