PDA

View Full Version : Longberry (again)

Saveman
04-Oct-07, 15:23
Anyone know what is the biggest fish ever caught at Longberry and what tackle was used?

Murchiemannie
04-Oct-07, 15:54
Other half used a huge bamboo pole with mackeral for bait. Couldn't say how big or small they were.:lol:

TBH
05-Oct-07, 02:35
I don't know what's the biggest as there are no records that I am aware of but I have seen a 34lb pollack taken on 20lb b.s gut with a 12' michell basic beachcaster coupled with a shakespeare multiplier. Longberry used to be the holy grail of the mackeral fisherman many moons ago, so much so, you wouldn't get a rod space for life nor money unless you were down there at 5am with your sleeping bag, bit like the january sales, I hear it is making a comeback and the mackeral are starting t come back whether in the same numbers I don't know but doubt very much.
Other half used a huge bamboo pole with mackeral for bait. Couldn't say how big or small they were.:lol:I remember those and a particular gentleman that used them all the time for the mackeral, it was called a wahny I think, I don't know how it's spelt exactly but that should be close enough.:D

northener
05-Oct-07, 09:05
Mate of mine got an 8lb cod there last year. Not the biggest, I'm sure there's more to be had!

ashaw1
06-Oct-07, 09:17
My other half goes there on a regular basis and has recently found that raw prawns are the fishes favourite. This has been discovered by months of trial and error but i must admit the last few times he has been successfull. ( God i hope i'm not giving away any major secrets here, like the magic circle for magicians)

thebigman
09-Oct-07, 14:03
I've seen double figure cod taken off there. A 34lb pollack off the shore wold have been a Scottish and British record! Bigger than current boat records.

Saveman
29-Aug-08, 23:15
Got a ling there tonight........just under 3 pounds......small for a ling, but still the biggest sea fish i've caught :)

domino
04-Sep-08, 19:52
Know of huge congers caught at Longberry.

TBH
05-Sep-08, 00:08
I've seen double figure cod taken off there. A 34lb pollack off the shore wold have been a Scottish and British record! Bigger than current boat records.It was definitely 34lbs as it was weighed but nobody at that time would be bothered looking to see if it was a record..

Welcomefamily
05-Sep-08, 06:58
Im sure there are many records just waiting to be broken around the caithness coast, I seen a few close calls, but that would nearly double the record which is 18lbs 4 oz.

Geo
05-Sep-08, 18:14
When I was there a number of years ago there was the skeletal head of what must have been a HUGE fish, lying at the edge of the carpark area. Someone must had had fish suppers for a month!

the second coming
05-Sep-08, 18:21
My brother in law has the record for catching the biggest cold there. That's about all he can catch mind you! :lol: Get it up ye WBB

TBH
05-Sep-08, 20:27
Im sure there are many records just waiting to be broken around the caithness coast, I seen a few close calls, but that would nearly double the record which is 18lbs 4 oz.Yes it would nearly double the record but as I say, 'nobody was looking for records in those days', as I am sure there have been many records broken unofficially

Amy-Winehouse
05-Sep-08, 20:33
My brother told me he caught a skate at Longberry & that it was so big , he had to cut the wings off it to get it in the car!!!!:eek:

Big fish or big fib???

hotrod4
05-Sep-08, 20:34
Was always promised by my stepdad that he would take me to longberry when I was knee high to a grasshopper but never got :(. Its like the carlsberg ad "If Hotrod fished Longberry................................. ;)

TBH
05-Sep-08, 20:35
My brother told me he caught a skate at Longberry & that it was so big , he had to cut the wings off it to get it in the car!!!!:eek:

Big fish or big fib???Did it hev wheels?[lol]

Amy-Winehouse
05-Sep-08, 20:40
Did it hev wheels?[lol]

The Car?? Of course it did. Another time, he told us him & his mate got a conger eel so big it wrapped itself around them 3 times before stopping??......
I think it was an Anaconda myself or a very fishy tale.....

TBH
05-Sep-08, 20:45
The Car?? Of course it did. Another time, he told us him & his mate got a conger eel so big it wrapped itself around them 3 times before stopping??......
I think it was an Anaconda myself or a very fishy tale.....That's a true story.

Amy-Winehouse
05-Sep-08, 20:51
Youre kidding??? No way:eek::eek:

the second coming
05-Sep-08, 21:21
Anyone read this Thursday's Oban Times? Page 3,UK Tope Fishing contest off Isle of Islay. 10year old girl caught a 46lb Tope whilst one of the other competitors caught a Blue Whale!!! :confused. Wonder what bait was usd for that?

Geo
12-Sep-08, 00:14
Is there a reason why everyone focuses on that particular bit to fish? Other spots heading back towards the Trinkie look as if you could fish from them.

TBH
12-Sep-08, 00:18
Is there a reason why everyone focuses on that particular bit to fish? Other spots heading back towards the Trinkie look as if you could fish from them.Longberry has been THE place to fish for as long as I can remember and longer than that through other peoples one that got away stories. It's just got that history which other places don't.

Kevin Milkins
12-Sep-08, 01:59
Anyone read this Thursday's Oban Times? Page 3,UK Tope Fishing contest off Isle of Islay. 10year old girl caught a 46lb Tope whilst one of the other competitors caught a Blue Whale!!! :confused. Wonder what bait was usd for that?

I was reading somwere that a bloke from Barry in South Wales, caught and landed a blue whale and was having his photo taken with it and it almost bite his arm off. (or was it a blue shark):confused you can't blame the fish for being a little pissed off.

northener
12-Sep-08, 08:26
I was reading somwere that a bloke from Barry in South Wales, caught and landed a blue whale and was having his photo taken with it and it almost bite his arm off. (or was it a blue shark):confused you can't blame the fish for being a little pissed off.

It would have been a Blue Shark, Kevin.
Blue Whales are baleen whales - in other words they filter feed on plankton and don't eat 'fish'.

http://www.savethewhales.org/blue.html

As for the Blue shark..I would be understandably pee-ed off too if someone hauled me out of the water and then was dim enough to put their hand on my nose![lol]

Full story: http://www.sharktrust.org/content.asp?did=31311

Kevin Milkins
12-Sep-08, 09:26
Blue Whales are baleen whales - in other words they filter feed on plankton and don't eat 'fish'.

As for the Blue shark..I would be understandably pee-ed off too if someone hauled me out of the water and then was dim enough to put their hand on my nose![lol]

Thanks for that Northener.
After I posted it I was begining to think I may have dreamt it.:confused

buggyracer
12-Sep-08, 09:27

perhaps he should have knocked it on the head first? :roll:

at least he was, trying to release it unharmed.

Geo
12-Sep-08, 14:01
Longberry has been THE place to fish for as long as I can remember and longer than that through other peoples one that got away stories. It's just got that history which other places don't.

So there's nothing to stop you fishing further along such as hidden snags waiting to eat your tackle? It's just Longberry can be quite busy.

northener
12-Sep-08, 20:06
perhaps he should have knocked it on the head first? :roll:

at least he was, trying to release it unharmed.

What I mean is that he was being a bit...er...careless by putting his hand anywhere near the sharks nose. If I remember rightly, you keep your hands behind the sharks eyes to avoid being nibbled.

I'm all for catch and release when it comes to any member of the shark family.

TBH
12-Sep-08, 20:23
So there's nothing to stop you fishing further along such as hidden snags waiting to eat your tackle? It's just Longberry can be quite busy.There are other area you can fish successfully along that stretch of coastline and Longberry is not without it's hazzards as to losing tackle.

domino
12-Sep-08, 20:32
When I was young,40's and 50's we fished regularly at the rock below the Coastguards and along from the Big Hill, remember a massive conger being caught. Also other fish.

Kevin Milkins
12-Sep-08, 22:36
What I mean is that he was being a bit...er...careless by putting his hand anywhere near the sharks nose. If I remember rightly, you keep your hands behind the sharks eyes to avoid being nibbled.

I'm all for catch and release when it comes to any member of the shark family.

I think the joke by buggyracer went over your head that time northener.lol:lol: Thats not like you:confused

TBH
12-Sep-08, 22:53
When I was young,40's and 50's we fished regularly at the rock below the Coastguards and along from the Big Hill, remember a massive conger being caught. Also other fish.That's a great spot to fish. I have taken many a big pollack and cod from there.

Saveman
09-Oct-08, 16:46
Anyone ever fished at Noss Head?

hotrod4
09-Oct-08, 17:40

You've started something here!!

This is the 3rd time this year i have seen the thread "Longberry(again)" and every time I've checked its the same thread! :) I keep expecting a new one. lol

Looking forward to "Noss head (again)" ;)

sprint95m
09-Oct-08, 23:20

While not actually at Noss Head, but close to it there are several spots I have fished.
Rocks at Sandigoe and below Sinclair and Girnigoe Castles are fishable but you need to watch for the incoming tide.
On the east side there are a few marks that are viable but all are very prone to bad weather and there is a sizeable population of seals too.
Peltags (saithe) and lyth (pollack) and very occasionally a blockie (red cod) can be caught. All are fairly shallow and very snaggy though.