PDA

View Full Version : VJ day celibrations

compo
14-Aug-05, 03:28
its VJ day this weekend anything happening in caithness to celibrate ?

Bill Fernie
14-Aug-05, 07:26
Today (Sunday 14 August) at 2.00pm there is -
A special Service Of thanksgiving and Remebrance and Celbration of the end Of world War Two at Wick Airport organised by the Canisbay Lybster, Thurso and Wickb branches of the British Legion.
After the service there wil be a parade of Pipe Bands, Military Band and Highland Dancers etc. There is to be music and a singalong of war time songs. This wil all take place on the tarmac at the airport which is closed for the day. Eveyone is invited to go along. You can take picnics and chairs to sit on.

Car parking is on the hard standing within wick airport itself with perdestrian access on to the Airport Apron where the parade will take place.
There are FREE buses from several parts of the county if required. timetables werepublished in the Groat and Courier this week. Buses are going on specific routes to pick people up on the way. Three buses will take different routes in Thurso. Two buses in Thurso from the British Legion hall. Pretty weel evey villageis covered by a bus so anyone should be able to get to the ceremonies and celebrations.

Various contact numbers for the buses are in the local paper in the ads published.

There is to be fly past during it all

kas
14-Aug-05, 22:14
Did anyone go? If so how was it?

I had planned to go but my son had a football tournament in Halkirk, as would of half the population of Caithness boys.
I saw the nimrod though, it passed over Thurso bay about 3pm.

rainbow
14-Aug-05, 23:12
It was excellent - the weather was nice, which meant some of the people on parade were passing out! It was a worthy tribute and alot of people turned out to acknowledge the people who fought and died to give us our freedom - we should not forget them. The bands were excellent, both the pipe band and the brass band. Does anyone know where the brass band were from - it certainly wasn't Caithness!