PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Connections

Lolabelle
03-Oct-07, 22:06
I bet this has been done before, but there are lots of new people so let's hear how we are all connected to Caithness.
As for me and my house, I was looking for the "Right" castle to set my childrens novel in and found it in Caithness, started on here and stayed. Actually, became addicted is probably a better description.

PS, sometimes my spelling is not my fault, my keyboard is possessed, and keeps moving the keys, swapping the letters around. It's TRUE!!! :eek:

anneoctober
03-Oct-07, 22:13
I was born in Inverness, but moved up here when a wee babee. Half my family are in Caithness and the rest are in Ross shire, with our son, daughter in law & boys in Edinburgh.
What castle did you choose Lolabelle?:)

golach
03-Oct-07, 22:14
Lolabelle my connection is simple, I was born in Thurso, and my Paternal Family Tree goes back to 1750 all in Caithness, still got to research my Maternal Tree, maybe my Winter project.

Lolabelle
03-Oct-07, 22:23
What castle did you choose Lolabelle?:)

I chose Ackergill, anneoctober, not that the story is actually set there, just needed a picture so I could visualise.

karia
03-Oct-07, 22:24
My Husband is from Strathy in Sutherland..we love to visit both counties and I have been especially welcomed on this site.

Don't close the borders on me now!;)

karia

anneoctober
03-Oct-07, 22:25
My Husband is from Strathy in Sutherland..we love to visit both counties and I have been especially welcomed on this site.

Don't close the borders on me now!;)

karia
As if.....................;)

anneoctober
03-Oct-07, 22:29
I chose Ackergill, anneoctober, not that the story is actually set there, just needed a picture so I could visualise.
I would n't argue with your choice wifie, now I'm sitting comfortably , so you can begin the story.......... Hey I'm a kid at heart..... [lol]

robynaus
04-Oct-07, 01:36
My Gfather was born in Keiss-by-Wick. I always used to go to the New Year Highland Gathering in Sydney wiyth him. Never talked about it but I knew he had a bro in Edinburgh and actually met a 2nd cousin in the early 50's. Kids don't know the questions to ask so - life moved on.
When my uncle died in 2003 my bro found loads of Caithness stuff which he gave me and this site and Genes reunited have filled in lots of blanks. So thanks everyone regards robyn

nikki
04-Oct-07, 09:14
Quite simply lived here all my life, as have my parents, and their parents. Not sure how far back it goes though.

helenwyler
04-Oct-07, 10:11
My great grandparents on my dad's side came from Caithness.

It's been an intriguing bit of detective work to find that out. This time last year I didn't even know my great grandmother's maiden name, or where they came from in Scotland!

Murchiemannie
04-Oct-07, 15:51
Born and went to school in wick. Married and had family (Hendersons Maternity) then we moved away in the early 70's to Aberdeen where we still reside. As far as I know both sets of Grandparents and further back are all born in the Wick area. Dare say if I delve far enough back I could be a"viking love child" Well I can dream can't I.!!!![lol]

paris
04-Oct-07, 18:06
Came for a visit to see Poo`s place and fell in love, but him in doors was home sick ,,,,missed the kids so moved back. worse thing i ever did .... jan x

cuddlepop
04-Oct-07, 18:17
I had a job interview up in Thurso so decided to visit this community web site to see what was on offer.

Didn't get the job,but I'm still here.:)

Say's everything about this web site:D

singysmum
04-Oct-07, 18:18
Came for a visit to see some friends from engalnd - fell in love with the place and moved here - all within 3 months. Not one moments regret about the move but feel it would have been nice to have some ancestry here. :)

Maybe one day when I look up my family tree I might find an ancient relative was a born and bred Wickian!!:Razz

karia
04-Oct-07, 18:28
Came for a visit to see some friends from engalnd - fell in love with the place and moved here - all within 3 months. Not one moments regret about the move but feel it would have been nice to have some ancestry here.

Maybe one day when I look up my family tree I might find an ancient relative was a born and bred Wickian!!:Razz

You felt instantly at home so maybe the land was calling you in ancient whispers!;)

karia

singysmum
04-Oct-07, 18:33
It does feel like that Karia, or it may have been the beautiful BIG skies that there are up here. We feel as if we can see forever.:D Helen

wifie
04-Oct-07, 18:50
Karia this is a true thing. When driving back to Inverness from the north both my brother and I (separately) used to feel strangely at home when nearing the Black Isle area and we found out that our paternal relatives came from there originally! Doo doo doo doo! Spooky!
PS Born and bred in Thurso - moved in the mid 80s.

karia
04-Oct-07, 19:29
Karia this is a true thing. When driving back to Inverness from the north both my brother and I (separately) used to feel strangely at home when nearing the Black Isle area and we found out that our paternal relatives came from there originally! Doo doo doo doo! Spooky!
PS Born and bred in Thurso - moved in the mid 80s.

Hi wifie,

I am not normally swayed by such intangibles, but saw a fascinating study into something called 'land memory?' (someone may remember more than me about it!)

Probably nonsense..but we all have an instinctive reaction to places and you are certainly not alone in experiencing that feeling of belonging in..and to, a certain place...then finding factual evidence that supports it.

karia

Whitewater
04-Oct-07, 19:39
On my fathers side we are all from the Caithness/Orkney with the roots in Caithness, can go back about 4/5 generations in my mind, and I guess If I done some research could probably go much further as my family name is a well known Caithness name that has been here for hundreds of years.
On my mothers side it is different, her mothers side is also local, from the Latheron/Berridale area but my mothers Father must have been an incomer 2 or 3 generations back, I guess if I was going to do a family tree I would begin with that side, it could be more interesting.

moureen
04-Oct-07, 19:47
My Mother comes from Dunbeath maiden name Bethune and I was born in Inverness but brought up in Tongue my Dad is a Macleod and was born in Skerray.I must say that I am glad to be home among the hills again.

Kenn
05-Oct-07, 00:46
I have been visiting for some 25yrs plus , just love the peace and quiet, also if history is to be believed then my hubbie's ancestors would have known the county well.
Just love. the light, the wildlife ( fur and feathered variety before you get hot under the collar,) and the wonderful,proud, genuine folk we have met there.

TRUCKER
05-Oct-07, 05:32
Have lived here all my life.

Oddquine
05-Oct-07, 20:09
My mother is a MacDonald from Caithness, and I spent all my holidays as a child in Halkirk..............and I'm here now because it is easier to do the family tree at source.

lady penelope
05-Oct-07, 22:47
We are not connected at all. We just moved up last year for work and now live here. Bought a house so kind of stuck in Wick:D

floyed
06-Oct-07, 10:31
I have been here all my life, my dads side of the family is from Haster and he was born here.

Angela
06-Oct-07, 10:43
My mum's family were all from Caithness -Mowats and Munros. I've been researching my family history, so far I've got back to the 18th century (my gt gt gt grandparents). Apart from one from Gairloch in Ross-shire, all were Caithness or Sutherland born and bred.
We lived at Milton, near Wick, until I was 6, then moved down to Edinburgh.
I hated moving to the city :~( and for the next ten years I stayed all the summer holidays (7 or 8 weeks in those days) with my auntie and uncle...and kept going back, eventually with my own children.
I've not been back since all my close relations died, my last visit was for a funeral, so it's been a while now...but hopefully next year....:)

dunderheed
06-Oct-07, 13:35
i moved up here exactly 15 years ago last week. i moved here to work in the then (new) prestos . i met my wife who hails from wick and i settled , however as you know i may have to move within the next year but will stay in touch with all my friends i have made both on the org and in the real world, as this place feels more like home than home did

Valerie Campbell
06-Oct-07, 15:07
My husband's family can be traced back to Roderick MacLean and Janet Sutherland who married in Latheron in 1823, although the MacLeans left the area in the later 19th century, only to be revisted by their great great great grandson in the 21st century. So that's my family connection to the area. And I know that my children have Viking blood because of an abnormality with the hand, but where from, I don't know yet! I'll just have to keep digging up the past.

Anne x
07-Oct-07, 09:52
My Father was born in Caithness and I have a lot of relatives and friends still there my Mother belonged to Golspie Sutherland where I was born we went to Caithness a lot when I was young for weekends and holidays I lived in Thurso for years before moving last year still like to visit

airdlass
07-Oct-07, 09:58
Born in Wick, lived there until I was 2 then moved to Tongue. Still have family in Caithness.