PDA

View Full Version : THS censored album

K dragon
03-Oct-07, 21:16
can anyone fill me in on the whole history of this album please

Flyermonkey
03-Oct-07, 21:52
Hi there,

I just dug out my copy of the CD. It was produced by Thurso High School Art and Music departments with help from CASE and Toyota UK (according to the blurb on the booklet) and featured a variety of school bands. The only teacher mentioned is Colin McPhee so I assume that he was the driving force behind it. It doesn't have the year on it, oddly, but if me memory isn't too far wrong I think it was about 1995 give or take a year?

The bands featured on it included Rubber Band (the core of whom went on to become Buddha Crush), Steel, Atmosphere Elektrik, Niall Porter, Bleach, Monkey Kettle and Trip. Many of the players featured in multiple bands on the CD, a few of whom are still playing in various places in various bands including in Caithness.

I have a feeling I might have one or two spare copies somewhere if you want one?

K dragon
04-Oct-07, 17:50
ah well i have come across one actually, i was curious as to "why" it was made, you know the "story" behind it.

i was only in thurso high from 1999 and the music dept never mentioned it, and to my knowlegded they have never been interested in producing albums before

just curious, i find it interesting.

cheers though.

moncur
05-Oct-07, 16:53
Stop That Train!

the_big_mac
05-Oct-07, 20:24
ah well i have come across one actually, i was curious as to "why" it was made, you know the "story" behind it.

i was only in thurso high from 1999 and the music dept never mentioned it, and to my knowlegded they have never been interested in producing albums before

cheers though.

Cant remember why we made it, and there aint that much of a story im afraid. Music teachers asked bands to write some stuff and record it. Some of it was truly dreadful, see the band i "played" with, and some was actually pretty good. Bleach, Steele and Rubber Band I remember being decent.

You gotta bare in mind that the vast majority of us that played on it were 13,14 and 15 years old. CD's were still quite newish and THS got a grant to publish some far north talent. There is still a video of the concert kicking about somewhere.

I doubt they ever considered doing it again, as other than the novelty value, there wasnt much point buying it. Other than band members i dont know anyone who bought it to listen to!

And "Stop that train" is a lethal choon! May even make a comeback someday ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Oct-07, 20:43
The music department - if you can call them that (a sincere joke) - filmed quite a few concerts held in the school. My band at the time, Box Clever, were the first, and only band, to ensure those recording a concert we performed at, scrub the entire thing. Why? Because the few "dancers" we invited up to the stage tried to re-enact the end of a Who gig. The amps were knocked over, someone took out the drums Kurt Cobain style, and several underpants were worn upon the head. The best part was seeing the janitor chase some of them through the school corridors and some of the parents comparing it to the Sex Pistols. The biggest injustice was that we, the band, got suspended for doing nothing other than inviting people onto the stage to dance. Too rock 'n' roll for school. Censored? Now there's a laugh. Mummys' boys with expensive guitars. :)

Jeid
05-Oct-07, 21:04
Mummys' boys with expensive guitars. :)

Pretty much like the indie wimp craze that's gripping the UK Music scene just now.

Liked the review of the JLNL Festival in the Record today, the bit about farmers made me laugh. Also had a good laugh at the Fightstar review.. I can't believe you asked for Busted to come back!

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Oct-07, 21:24
You would, too, if you were locked in the same, cramped room as Fightstar for an hour. Fair dos to Chuck, though, for not selling out. Well, sort of.

foreveruntitled
06-Oct-07, 15:21
Pretty much like the indie wimp craze that's gripping the UK Music scene just now.

Haha, yeah.

theone
07-Oct-07, 22:02
The music department - if you can call them that (a sincere joke) - filmed quite a few concerts held in the school. My band at the time, Box Clever, were the first, and only band, to ensure those recording a concert we performed at, scrub the entire thing. Why? Because the few "dancers" we invited up to the stage tried to re-enact the end of a Who gig. The amps were knocked over, someone took out the drums Kurt Cobain style, and several underpants were worn upon the head. The best part was seeing the janitor chase some of them through the school corridors and some of the parents comparing it to the Sex Pistols. The biggest injustice was that we, the band, got suspended for doing nothing other than inviting people onto the stage to dance. Too rock 'n' roll for school. Censored? Now there's a laugh. Mummys' boys with expensive guitars. :)

I have that video!

theone
07-Oct-07, 22:58

cheers though.

If I remember rightly Censored came about from the old "skills for enterprise" class where pupils would set up a business. Most classes sold home baking or whatever but "Censored Limited" went a lot further.

I think they raised most of the initial money from CASE and Toyota (The toyota garage was at bridgend then). That paid for the mixing desk and the PC based recording system.

At the time the high school had a really good music scene, concerts on every couple of months or so. All the bands were invited to write songs, with Colin McPhee doing the producing. The mixing desk was set up in the keyboard room, with the bands performing in Mr Watsons room next door.

I think most of the artwork, a green dragon??? was done by Duncan Crofts, the singer of rubber band.

Although all the songs were meant to be originals I remeber at the time speculation a few songs were actually rip offs! Don't suppose anybody noticed though!

There must be a pile of the CD's lying around somewhere, I'm sure they made 2000 of them!

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Oct-07, 00:05
I have that video!

What - with Box Clever on it? I'm sceptical, but if you do, punt us on a copy, please, gadgo.

marty123
08-Oct-07, 13:00
Oh the memories came flooding back when reading this!! To think then that i was going to make a living out of drumming, 'the one' has the story spot on, to why such a magical thing was created!! In all my time playing music as a young un, a certain track was the one and only time I sang, due to a certain person not being able to make the recording lying in his pit hungover!!

'Why does she hate me'

theone
08-Oct-07, 16:28
What - with Box Clever on it? I'm sceptical, but if you do, punt us on a copy, please, gadgo.

Definately have it, I'll try to dig it out, I remember watching it a couple of years ago and being surprised that JP on drums had hair!

K dragon
08-Oct-07, 18:28
so while remembering the birth of this cd, has the music scene indeed gone somewhat downhill for the younger generation as the high school is no longer as music orientated as it once was?

thank you for the info. curiosity quelled.

cheers

theone
08-Oct-07, 20:40

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxO-4LLQlag

I can't believe rhino shirts were once considered cool!

Dug out the video and found 5 or 6 concerts from 1993-97 and a couple of the early "battle of the bands" Must upload more of them.

theone
08-Oct-07, 23:14
Here's rubber band playing one of their songs from the Censored CD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqRZFdLf9ws

This was at the first ever THS battle of the bands.

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Oct-07, 00:05
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxO-4LLQlag

I can't believe rhino shirts were once considered cool!

Dug out the video and found 5 or 6 concerts from 1993-97 and a couple of the early "battle of the bands" Must upload more of them.

Jesus, Mary (Chain) and Joseph! That was shocking. Think it'll take me another ten years to get over that. Erm, thanks for putting that up, I think. One thing is for sure - it backs up my statement that all music is about hair and clothes.

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Oct-07, 00:48
Jesus, Mary (Chain) and Joseph! That was shocking. Think it'll take me another ten years to get over that. Erm, thanks for putting that up, I think. One thing is for sure - it backs up my statement that all music is about hair and clothes.

Jesus, Mary (Chain) and Joseph! That was shocking. Think it'll take me another ten years to get over that. Erm, thanks for putting that up, I think.

Jason never had hair - he always wore a wig, or at least that's what he called his sad, Madchester haircut. JP sure was a victim in all senses of the word. He was the whipping boy of every band I played in with him, he always had to have the last word (a badly-timed crash cymbal), so it was funny seeing him have to try and piece the drumkit back together himself in the video.

The "dancers" by the way were (naming and shaming here): Keith Pentland, Gary Daniels, Ian Brands, and the simply fantastic drum-kit-taker-outer Dougal Kennedy. How Nirvana was that?!

The antagonist was none other than Dave Cuthbert. Dave lives in Edinburgh's Tollcross district now and was, not so long ago, playing bass and keyboards in the very excellent My Electric Love Affair (www.myspace.com/myelectricloveaffair).

As for Rubber Band? Well, we were always the most punk band in Caithness (right, folks?), so I'll perhaps leave that for another thread. What I will say is that Duncan Crofts looked like Jim Reid (of the Mary Chain) just nowhere near as cool, and Ritchie looked like a gerbil auditioning for The Replacements. Unfortunately no amount of string-snapping and geeky looks was going to turn Thurso High into Athens High, Georgia. In fact, I saw Ritchie not too long ago. He said he was working in HMV in Edinburgh (he might as well be working in a shoe shop) and now plays lap-steel in a couple of alt-country bands.

Am a music hack and funk genius.

Funny how things work out, eh?

theone
09-Oct-07, 01:02
I always liked rubber band, yeah they were no REM but they were good.

I've been watching more of the videos tonight. Some of rubber bands original songs were very good, indie type feel good music.

When they morphed into Buddah Crush I think image became more important than music and I never liked the whole glam rock thing!

I'll post more of them shortly........

theone
09-Oct-07, 01:13
Jesus, Mary (Chain) and Joseph! That was shocking. Think it'll take me another ten years to get over that. Erm, thanks for putting that up, I think.

Jason never had hair - he always wore a wig, or at least that's what he called his sad, Madchester haircut. JP sure was a victim in all senses of the word. He was the whipping boy of every band I played in with him, he always had to have the last word (a badly-timed crash cymbal), so it was funny seeing him have to try and piece the drumkit back together himself in the video.

The "dancers" by the way were (naming and shaming here): Keith Pentland, Gary Daniels, Ian Brands, and the simply fantastic drum-kit-taker-outer Dougal Kennedy. How Nirvana was that?!

The antagonist was none other than Dave Cuthbert. Dave lives in Edinburgh's Tollcross district now and was, not so long ago, playing bass and keyboards in the very excellent My Electric Love Affair (www.myspace.com/myelectricloveaffair).

As for Rubber Band? Well, we were always the most punk band in Caithness (right, folks?), so I'll perhaps leave that for another thread. What I will say is that Duncan Crofts looked like Jim Reid (of the Mary Chain) just nowhere near as cool, and Ritchie looked like a gerbil auditioning for The Replacements. Unfortunately no amount of string-snapping and geeky looks was going to turn Thurso High into Athens High, Georgia. In fact, I saw Ritchie not too long ago. He said he was working in HMV in Edinburgh (he might as well be working in a shoe shop) and now plays lap-steel in a couple of alt-country bands.

Am a music hack and funk genius.

Funny how things work out, eh?

Haha, as for the string snapping I have that video too. 2 strings in 2 songs, unlucky ritchie!

theone
09-Oct-07, 01:29
Stop That Train!

Ask and you will recieve my friend...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4GWVnuewIQ

There's a good chance Darren won't speak to me again for this, but hey, you wear a GnR waistcoat then what do you expect?

Those of you who know the Middleyard twins and Euan may be suprised that yes, they once had hair!

Steel or Steele, can't really remember how they spelled it was originally named by Euan the drummer because he fancied Marion Steele! I'm sure that was back when the band consisited of Euan singing, Gordy Bain on guitar, Donald Mackay on drums? and Robbie Wares on the bass.

It feels like Christmas tonight............

theboss
09-Oct-07, 08:47
[QUOTE=theone;280785]Ask and you will recieve my friend...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4GWVnuewIQ

There's a good chance Darren won't speak to me again for this, but hey, you wear a GnR waistcoat then what do you expect? [QUOTE]

Right that's it, let's see some early Bleach then. Come on "theone" don't hide yourself. I have a feeling that your hair was equally as shocking as mine back then, although, I do have to hold my hands up to the GNR waistcoat... what a stroop!

theone
09-Oct-07, 11:49
Right that's it, let's see some early Bleach then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_iFx_8i4ow

That was bleach's second concert, I have the first somewhere too. Shaun was replaced as singer shortly afterwards when Mr Watson "banned him for life" because he pulled out of going to Kinlochleven for a music exchange thing.

I believe it was Shaun not turning up for the recording that Marty was on about here
Oh the memories came flooding back when reading this!! To think then that i was going to make a living out of drumming, 'the one' has the story spot on, to why such a magical thing was created!! In all my time playing music as a young un, a certain track was the one and only time I sang, due to a certain person not being able to make the recording lying in his pit hungover!!

'Why does she hate me'

All over print t-shirts and global hypercolour were obviously the best things since sliced bread!

As for your drumming career Martin, I remember drummers back then were judged by the quantity and quality of their cymbals! You win face down with your "china"! Here you were with "Trip" possibly named after Nialls experimentation with little paper squares up the river????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3alTZMxrCc

WeeBurd
09-Oct-07, 12:08
Ahhhh, memories of being young, carefree, and making a tube of ourselves...:eek:

buddyrich
09-Oct-07, 15:45
That is hilarious. Even predates darren bleaching his hair.

And Calum kepping it real in a ride the lightning shirt.

theboss
09-Oct-07, 15:53
That is hilarious. Even predates darren bleaching his hair.

And Calum kepping it real in a ride the lightning shirt.

Mr Rich. Your identity has confused me for some time and now even more so. How on earth do you remember the hair bleaching? Clues please...

buddyrich
09-Oct-07, 16:01
Man, i thought you would have twigged by now. We used to terrorize stuarty watson, or as we knew him, "E bey!"

theboss
09-Oct-07, 16:03
You trawled these forums under a different name previously. It all makes sense now...

buddyrich
09-Oct-07, 16:06
Indeed. I've been creating musical history with my twenty-legged band but thought i'd take some time to offer some pearls of wisdom.

What year was that video of steel? Gotta be 95 or possibly 96. I mind the GnR thing you wore-textbook attire! Wish i had one now.

theone
09-Oct-07, 16:08
Indeed. I've been creating musical history with my twenty-legged band but thought i'd take some time to offer some pearls of wisdom.

What year was that video of steel? Gotta be 95 or possibly 96. I mind the GnR thing you wore-textbook attire! Wish i had one now.

November 94 believe it or not.

theboss
09-Oct-07, 16:24
Was it really '94! My god... I was 13 years old! That's my excuse for the GNR denim waistcoat!

moncur
09-Oct-07, 17:22
This is a lethal thread!!!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Oct-07, 17:31
Shouldn't this thread's name be changed to High School Gigs? I've got over 101 stories about the gigs in Thurso High. So here's your starter for ten... After we'd Who'd/ Nirvana'd/ Hendrix'd the stage, I was due to play in another band called Obsessive Kittens (note pop fans: a light play on one of the names Joy Division tinkered with prior to naming themselves New Order after Ian Curtis's death). Now because stage destroyer Keith Pentland had been turfed out the school along with every other stage-invader - and because he was the bass player in Obsessive Kittens - he wasn't allowed back in to play with us. Cue Scott Wordie. So laid-back he was often mistook for a spirit level, we dragged him into the Gym 2 changing rooms and taught him the songs - in about 15 minutes. Needless to say we came out and slayed them dead. Again.

theone
09-Oct-07, 19:18
This is a lethal thread!!!!!

Be careful, you might be next.........

the_big_mac
09-Oct-07, 19:35
Be careful, you might be next.........

Ahh, at least you put one up of yourself.

I take it you've spent the day sticking everything on the PC?

If so, I gotta get a copy of a few of them?

theone
09-Oct-07, 19:39
Ahh, at least you put one up of yourself.

I take it you've spent the day sticking everything on the PC?

If so, I gotta get a copy of a few of them?

Not done many but will do.

I'll refrain from putting up the atmosphere electric ones!

the_big_mac
09-Oct-07, 19:41
Not done many but will do.

I'll refrain from putting up the atmosphere electric ones!

Eh yeah, wouldn't want to subject anyone to that!

moncur
09-Oct-07, 20:25
i think ben has all my high school videos.

buddyrich
10-Oct-07, 18:50
I wonder if theres a video of the show where lenny shearer didnt turn up and Bones and i were ably assisted by The Boss on bass and The Big Mac on emergency vocals.

I hope not.

the_big_mac
10-Oct-07, 21:27
I wonder if theres a video of the show where lenny shearer didnt turn up and Bones and i were ably assisted by The Boss on bass and The Big Mac on emergency vocals.

I hope not.

I seriously hope not!

Jeid
10-Oct-07, 22:49
I demand that theboss brings back the GnR waistecoat. It's awesome!! :p

K dragon
11-Oct-07, 02:54
do i get some kind of reward for starting this thread.....no...okay worth a try lol

buddyrich
11-Oct-07, 16:05
The Box Clever video is quite something. The drumkit getting cowped over was hilarious.

And Barry's sporting a textbook pair o white trews. Div ye still hev them bey?

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Oct-07, 16:58
I lent them to Metalattakk instead. Madchester-baggy on me, skin-tight on m'lad. As I say: music: s'all hair and clothes.

Metalattakk
11-Oct-07, 17:18
Hell, I widna be seen deid in white breeks, min. I'm a denim an' leather kinda chiel. ;)

buddyrich
11-Oct-07, 17:23
Ha. I didnt think the gunslinger could resist that one.

Denim and leather and hamster toilets did indeed bring us all together.

theone
11-Oct-07, 21:16

I hope not.

Tht was brilliant! I'd forgotten about that. What did he sing again?

theone
11-Oct-07, 21:53
I demand that theboss brings back the GnR waistecoat. It's awesome!! :p

We'll have a whip round for him. http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=282330 I pledge a pound!

Jeid
11-Oct-07, 21:56
I pledge a Fiver if he wears it at every Astronot gig ever!

theboss
11-Oct-07, 22:09
We'll have a whip round for him. http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=282330 I pledge a pound!

That's far posher than the one I had. It was just a denim waistcoat with a small GNR patch on the pack.

Keep your money in your pocket James!

theone
11-Oct-07, 22:24
That's far posher than the one I had. It was just a denim waistcoat with a small GNR patch on the pack.

Are you sure? The one in the video looks like a print? Are you confusing it with this one from Feb '95?

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8327/48448316tp9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Jeid
11-Oct-07, 22:34
Ahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

MORE MORE MORE!!! I LOVE IT! :D

theone
11-Oct-07, 22:42

Yip Darren Sorry, This was definately a "print" one. You can see the Writing across the shoulders and the insignia front and back.

You really were "The Boss" of waistcoats!

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5779/62129478ca8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

theboss
12-Oct-07, 09:14
Right, ok, ok!!! That's enough now!

You will pay for this one day "the one". I have access to many photos of you.

The all over print waistcoat wasn't mine. I think it was Ewens but I could be wrong.

Jeid
12-Oct-07, 09:38
You sir, are in denial

theboss
12-Oct-07, 09:49
Nope biy. I would admit to that beast if it was mine as it looks like a magnificent waistcoat. I think even john Virgo would be proud! Unfortunately it's not mine biy.

Jeid
12-Oct-07, 09:55
One day... it will. We've raised £6 so far. Anyone else wanna get theboss another one of those waistcoats?

zebedy
14-Oct-07, 23:35
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/Zebedy00/darrenbiy.jpg

zebedy
14-Oct-07, 23:37
anyone else have videos from back in teh day?
maybe of voodooqueen?
the rehab rejects?
or
Daclarajam? (spelling )

Jeid
15-Oct-07, 00:07
Dacalgarjam biy ;)

Bring back the old hair biy :D

zebedy
15-Oct-07, 00:12
if my memory is any gud. which in most cases isnt!

wasnt that the year u played in a bra and pants jeid?

Jeid
15-Oct-07, 01:21
Nope, that was Rehab Rejects. And, I played in a bra and a mini-skirt.

In all honesty... I've got no idea for my reasons behind that.

In Dacalgarjam we played in our boxers. That was my last year at school.

buddyrich
16-Oct-07, 17:49
Big Mac crooned on Knockin on heavens door and something else. Cant remember what though. Bones might know. Lake Of Fire maybe?