PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Sutherland SSC b Wick 1856

David Sutherland
03-Oct-07, 10:47
My grandfather was Alexander Sutherland, born in Wick on 16th August 1856. He was a Solicitor before the Supreme Court (SSC). He married Margaret Bremner (born in Wick 16th March 1856) in Edinburgh on 10th August 1886.
They had seven children, 6 born in Wick, Alexander Percy Granville, James Musgrave (my father), Marjory Winifred, Mary, Christine Margarita, Hector Daniel Louttit, and Thule Alexandra who was born in Lerwick.
They lived in various addresses in Wick, 3 and 9 Breadalbane Crescent, Sinclair Terrace, and 61 Dempster Street.
If anyone has information on my grandfather's family I would be grateful.

Paul Sutherland
18-Apr-08, 18:44
I've been trying to find out about your grandfather because he features in a book I am writing about George H M Thoms, Sheriff Principal of Caithness, Orkney and Shetland from 1870 to 1899. Your grandfather was one of the Caithness solicitors with whom the Sheriff fell out rather badly. So much so that they held a couple of meetings of the local faculty in which they resolved to petition for the abolition of the office of Sheriff Principal! The other lawyers involved were George M Sutherland, Hector Sutherland, David Cormack and D W Georgeson. Were any of these Sutherlands related? I'd be grateful for any background information you could let me have. Perhaps you could pm me. Incidentally, I'm not a relation - I'm an Orkney Sutherland.

David Sutherland
23-Apr-08, 18:09
My grandfather, Alexander Sutherland's parents were Alexander Sutherland and Mary Flett. Mary Flett's sister, Jean, married Alexander's brother George. I am not sure if George was also a solicitor, however, they had a son, Hector, who became Town Clerk of Wick.
There is a photograph in Wick Libarary or Museum of the Wick Old Players Cricket Club. Among those photographed are my grandfather, Alexander Sutherland, Hector Sutherland (Town Clerk) and also an S.F.Sutherland, S.S.C.. I am not sure if this S.F. Sutherland is possibly another relation.
I am pretty sure there may also be a connection with the Cormack family, as a Cormack connection does appear in my Family Tree. I will search for further details

Paul Sutherland
23-Apr-08, 19:56
Thanks very much. Your grandfather's obituary in the John O' Groat Journal of 28th November 1930 states that his brother S F Sutherland SSC had died in Edinburgh two years previously almost to the day. If you don't have a copy of the obituary, I can send it to you if you like.

David Sutherland
24-Apr-08, 09:53
Thanks for the offer of the obituary. I would really appreciate a copy. Regarding the Cormack connection. Catherine Sutherland, a daughter of George Sutherland and Jean Flett, married an Alexander Cormack, however I can find no David Cormack in the family at present.

Mamie_2
27-Apr-08, 05:13
Could he be the one from Slickly? born 1837. he is listed on the 1901 census as a JP and farvaer??(an mistranscribe for lawyer maybe?). Prior to that time he is listed as a farmer.

A number of his sons were fairly prominent in the grocers trade in Edinburgh.

Mamie