PDA

View Full Version : Rush - SECC Glasgow

Deemac
02-Oct-07, 19:12
Anyone going to see Rush tomorrow night?

My forth time seeing the band (though its been 15 years since my last outing with them). I have high expectations from the general net reviews, blogs and concert images I've seen so far.

buddyrich
02-Oct-07, 20:11
I'll be there tomorrow night. Saw them on the 30th anniversary tour about three years ago-amazing. Dont have the new album yet so it'll be a first listen to new material.

mareng
02-Oct-07, 20:13
Blast! Forgot about that!

Saw them in 1977 though - at the Apollo, Glasgow..............

Enjoy the gig :)

Deemac
02-Oct-07, 22:38
I think their new album (Snakes & Arrows) is their best in a long time. Highly recommended (and hence my concert attendance!!)

Also, just read the groups biography (Chemistry). Worth also checking out if you are so inclined.

Tubthumper
03-Oct-07, 00:00
Neal Peart made 'Working Man' his own. Who was it that played drums on the original?
(Not a trick question, I genuinely cannae remember)

fender
03-Oct-07, 08:09
Drummer before The Prof was John Rutsey who played on their first album

buddyrich
04-Oct-07, 18:05
Rush were superb last night. The new stuff stands up well to the classic material even more when played live. And they did Digital Man. And Subdivisions. And Distant Early Warning. And the drum solo was textbook. Fantastic night. It looked pretty close to a sell out from where we were sitting.

Deemac
05-Oct-07, 01:21
Rush
- its been 15 years since I last saw the boys in concert (also at the SECC in Glasgow). I was way off centre stage position (Block P), but I thought the sound was fairly dire!!

I barely heard the ride cymbal or hihat. Neil's kit just had no definition or slam. LOTS & lots of mid/bass mush and highly impressive REAL bottom end. I was expecting so much more from the line-array speaker systems (I've been reading too many stage production reviews in magazines it appears!!) Even the kick drum was too boomy during his solo (I also don't like the big band section - the brass samples are so synthetic, sorry Neil, stick to the Buddy Rich big band stuff).

I'm fairly sure in a good sounding room (aircraft hangers don't make for a promising start acoustically!!) and a better seating positioning things would have been very different. (The mix engineer needs to walk the room).

I have a soft spot here, me and Rush go way back!!!, so it was great to be in the same space as them and they all played very well indeed. The production and lighting was superb. Its good to see those green lasers again, also the pyro was very impressive.

Lots of amusing video work also (here also the line-arrays got in the way visually).

I'll not be back to the SECC in a hurry for sure (unless Genesis plays, maybe).;)

Douglas Cowie
05-Oct-07, 13:40
Must have been where you were sitting Deemac, I really enjoyed the show
I was sitting pretty much bang in centre of the mix in the tiered seats and the sound was superb, great clarity and definition across all instruments. Whenever you sit to the side the sound becomes a compromise, If I can't get a seat in a good position I don't bother buying a ticket, simple as that.

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Oct-07, 14:48
Rush
- its been 15 years since I last saw the boys in concert (also at the SECC in Glasgow). I was way off centre stage position (Block P), but I thought the sound was fairly dire!!

I barely heard the ride cymbal or hihat. Neil's kit just had no definition or slam. LOTS & lots of mid/bass mush and highly impressive REAL bottom end. I was expecting so much more from the line-array speaker systems (I've been reading too many stage production reviews in magazines it appears!!) Even the kick drum was too boomy during his solo (I also don't like the big band section - the brass samples are so synthetic, sorry Neil, stick to the Buddy Rich big band stuff).

I'm fairly sure in a good sounding room (aircraft hangers don't make for a promising start acoustically!!) and a better seating positioning things would have been very different. (The mix engineer needs to walk the room).

I have a soft spot here, me and Rush go way back!!!, so it was great to be in the same space as them and they all played very well indeed. The production and lighting was superb. Its good to see those green lasers again, also the pyro was very impressive.

Lots of amusing video work also (here also the line-arrays got in the way visually).

I'll not be back to the SECC in a hurry for sure (unless Genesis plays, maybe).;)

I've been covering gigs at the SECC for years, and it ALWAYS has a bad sound mix.

Deemac
05-Oct-07, 14:57
Must have been where you were sitting Deemac, I really enjoyed the show
I was sitting pretty much bang in centre of the mix in the tiered seats and the sound was superb, great clarity and definition across all instruments. Whenever you sit to the side the sound becomes a compromise, If I can't get a seat in a good position I don't bother buying a ticket, simple as that.

Yes, lesson learn't I suppose. (ie get a good seat)

I was relying too much on the side fill line-arrays to rescue this bad sounding space. I also thought it was just too quite!!

My ears "sing" more after a Whisky gig than this!! (Black Sabbath hold the record here - 3 days . . . I know this is not a good thing health wise)

Anyway, don't get me wrong, still glad I went.:Razz

buddyrich
09-Oct-07, 15:10
Its just a dump, soundwise. The snare drum was a bit muffled at times but from where we were, slightly stage left in the tiers, it was a great production. I noticed that anyone sitting further round would have had trouble seeing the screens so you've got my sympathy.

The review in the herald i think was moaning about the setlist. Yawn.

I like the big band section though it was much better on the last tour.

zenmaster
11-Oct-07, 14:57
Great to see the guys again - plenty of favourites to enjoy and I gave S&A a good listen so enjoyed those songs too. Last Rush gig I saw at the SECC had inflatable rabbits/top hats on the stage (Roll the Bones tour I think), so their backdrops have come on since then! I was way up in the tiered section in G and the middle video was blocked by the hanging speakers. Still £40 to see Rush after a long time was money well spent.

buddyrich
11-Oct-07, 15:16
Aye that propably was the RTB tour. They didnt play here again til 2004 on the anniversary tour.