PDA

View Full Version : Band Practice Venue.

loganbiffy
02-Oct-07, 14:44
Hi folks does anyone have any ideas where a suitable place for band practice would be?
Willing to pay for somewhere suitable.
Thanks.

telfordstar
02-Oct-07, 15:53
Hi there if its in wick that you are looking try the wick family centre in bank row. Hope this helps:)

floyed
02-Oct-07, 16:56
Maybe Staxigoe hall, i know they used to let people have it for parties ect you would probable have to pay for it though hope that helps:)

Gizmo
02-Oct-07, 17:04
Maybe Staxigoe hall, i know they used to let people have it for parties ect you would probable have to pay for it though hope that helps:)

I used to practice there 17 years ago....but it had really rubbish acoustics back then, you could never get a good sound, but maybe thats cos we were rubbish :)

Andrew C
02-Oct-07, 18:49
What kinda band is it? (Will determine whether I want you practicing in the hall attached to my house :o) )

dirdyweeker
02-Oct-07, 19:31
Scout Hall, Wick???

lynne duncan
02-Oct-07, 22:17
what about pipeband hall

loganbiffy
03-Oct-07, 12:03
Sorry folks i forgot to put where.
The band is based in Thurso and would ideally be looking for somewhere close to the town.
Thanks.

Royster1911
03-Oct-07, 18:44
How about one of the schools?

gollach
03-Oct-07, 23:03
I believe the Free Church Hall in Millbank Road is available for a small donation.

Riffman
04-Oct-07, 00:26
ROFL.....

sorry, that really cracks me up....

On a more serious note, they might give you some space, worth asking.

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Oct-07, 15:01
If there's such a vibrant music scene in Caithness - and, if there's so many bands kicking around, too - then, surely, there is a demand and requirment for rehearsal facilities, no? Not a lot has changed since 1994.

Jeid
04-Oct-07, 15:43
Oh you love picking don't you? Nah, there's no scene up here biy. No bands or anything. We sold our instruments to the devil :D

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Oct-07, 15:53
Oh you love picking don't you? Nah, there's no scene up here biy. No bands or anything. We sold our instruments to the devil :D

Seriously, I'm asking an honest question.

Jeid
04-Oct-07, 16:20
There's a few bands kicking about yeah, but you're right, there is no real scene up here. There's potential, but nobody can be arsed... hence why bands continually fail from up here and generally halt in their progression.

There's talent, there's just not the facilities to exploit it properly

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Oct-07, 16:28
In some ways it's like an architects model: lots of people doing the same thing in different places yet not coming together. I am no longer sure geography really has a lot to do with local music success, no matter how you measure it. Durness' recent festival proved you can have a vibrant, highly publicised event and still find room for local talent, as your band discovered. I sincerely believe it's down to apathy, general short-sightedness and the selfish that Caithness doesn't have the positive music scene it (sometimes) deserves. For instance, we have a reunion of 60s bands that's developed into a bicker about who or should not be invited (good grief!), and there's not enough live music around town in general. I was up north for a week last week - the only live music I saw was at the folk night in the Comm. When you could hear what they were playing above the chatter, it was the same tunes I heard when I was up in July. Fight The Power, though, Jamie.

K dragon
04-Oct-07, 17:53
agree with jeid.

not enough drive, or facilities.

might work something out, not a huge hope, but i will see.

Jeid
04-Oct-07, 17:59
I think you're kind of right. Y'see, people put petty bickering ahead of anything up here. People will say "We're not playing that because that band is" or "we don't want that band to play" etc. It's pretty pathetic. Then it gets highlighted and is raised as an issue. Fair enough, if the organiser of an event doesn't want a specific band on a line-up, that's all good and well, I don't see why people feel the need to question it(see the other thread... the focus should've been on the good music and the money raised for charity, not why Fats wasn't playing).

Geography is not as big a problem as it once was, however, it still causes slight problems as I've noticed with my band. Networking with other bands is difficult. People don't really take you seriously as you're from "all the way up there?" and even introducing yourself to other bands makes them look at you funny. It's dog-eat-dog in the central belt. Bands are only interested in themselves... or, at least the ones we've met were.

Durness was a success because of the John Lennon link, let's be serious, I doubt people would've travelled from overseas and the south if it had just been a Durness festival... I could be wrong though, we'll never know.

The problems musicians in Caithness face are, a general lack of support from any venue in town(I await the Y-Not/Newmarket support to knock this one down), no real promoters in the area, Skinandi's(yes, I can openly criticise my boss' policy on live music), the number of places available to rehearse, people(general public) only seem interested in cover bands or tribute bands and sometimes even top quality cover bands (Hayseed Dixie anyone?) fail to pull in as big a crowd as they deserve.

When the old E Rock Concerts used to run in the Viewfirth, they used to pull in a decent crowd, I think Darren said that the highest amount of people in attendance was around the 300 mark. Pretty good. But events have been held in Skinandi's since then, open to all ages with 3-4 good rock bands on the bill and the highest we've ever had was 200. Skinandi's seems to be a deterrant for people. I've no idea why? The money made goes directly to the musicians involved for their performance. It's not as if Cardosi or any 3rd party is taking money. The events are well organised and advertised. Plenty of postering and messaging etc goes into advertising these events.

And yeah, I quite understand that about the musicians in the Comm, people aren't there to pay attention to them it would seem. If there's football on the tv in the pub, they'll watch that instead, if not, they'll chat amongst themselves. It's easy for bands to lose motivation up here as it would seem there is nothing to aim for. It's not as if there's anywhere to play. My band have kind of hit a comfort zone just now where we're happy with the group of songs we're playing. It'd be easy to just stick with things, but we are moving on. Bands need to realise that getting outwith the community for gigs is simple, making contacts through avenues such as Myspace has made that easier, getting bands up here to play couldn't be easier as I get plenty messages asking if we could put a band on and organising a gig is easier than most bands think.

It's an uphill struggle and getting people to realise that they don't need other bands or musicians to hold their hands in holding an event is near impossible.

I've kind of gone off in a tangent tbh, but I feel like venting frustration...

buddyrich
04-Oct-07, 18:19
Someone will no doubt suggest a cooperative type of rehearsal facility where everyone involved is responsible, maybe through some kind of membership dues like a social club. But it'd get abused and end in tears so quickly that i dont even know why im bringing it up. Though it's the type of thing there's probably funding available for through t'lottery.

Jeid
04-Oct-07, 18:44
You're right there. Also, finding a location that everyone would agree on, sorting out times etc etc would be a nightmare.

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Oct-07, 21:16
But it'd get abused and end in tears so quickly that i dont even know why im bringing it up.t'lottery.

This is exactly the same phrase I and other musicians constantly heard when trying to locate a place to rehearse: "you'll just break everything" and words to that effect. Sad, sad, sad.

Jeid
04-Oct-07, 21:47
It's true, unless there was some sort of person watching over it full time. Unfortunately, not everyone treats equipment with the respect it deserves

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Oct-07, 14:46
Ah well, that'll be that, then. Case closed.

Gleber2
05-Oct-07, 15:31
the focus should've been on the good music and the money raised for charity, not why Fats wasn't playing).

Not often it happens, but I agree entirely with your big post. The history between myself and the organisers of that gig is ancient and there is as much chance of us working together as my cat getting the MBE. Such is life.
The music scene in Caithness could be really good if the problems could be ironed out but there is as much chance of that happening as Pepsi Challenge getting made King.:)

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Oct-07, 17:10
King of the Butchers, perhaps :)

davem
05-Oct-07, 17:19
What happened to the Blue Monday gear? that was about helping young bands kick off their careers. The organisation is there snoozing maybe, but if there is a good idea and people to run with it, grants are not hard to find.
It could be that a venue is available to rent - is the youth club not still a possibility?
As to keeping up enthusiasm, After Hours have always had good nights at both the Y not and Newmarket other gigs sometimes less so, a memorable night was the legion where we were up for a good gig but Thurso preferred one guy with guitar and backing track to a full on band I don't think we got to outnumberthe audience that night - hey ho! Mind - when you go to Orkney.....check out our review in the Orcadian, chalk and cheese.

davem
05-Oct-07, 17:29
Music is about collaboration - the sum being greater than the indiv. parts; it only works well when people are considerate of each other.
There are times reading the boards here when I wonder how some of the combatants manage anything other than solo projects.
If some of the energy expended on tired feuds was used to move things on we'd be the Madchester of the 00ies.

"We made him for good but he turned out evil" - Wendolin Ramsbottom

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Oct-07, 17:40
It seems that while there is a small minority of people who appreciate and support live music played by real people playing original music, the majority is made up of those who prefer recorded music, or tribute bands. Therefore, they deserve nothing but; as for the aforementioned, you're pretty stuffed.

Gleber2
05-Oct-07, 19:09
Music is about collaboration - the sum being greater than the indiv. parts; it only works well when people are considerate of each other.
There are times reading the boards here when I wonder how some of the combatants manage anything other than solo projects.
If some of the energy expended on tired feuds was used to move things on we'd be the Madchester of the 00ies.

"We made him for good but he turned out evil" - Wendolin Ramsbottom

Hear hear!!!!!!!or here here??
Every year I decide that I have no enemies except those who wish to be but every year I still have as many enemies. Perhaps we should all reconsider our misconceptions.

Tubthumper
05-Oct-07, 21:19
Let's help our young musos to build a successful music career, and assist in making the Caithness 'scene' really start to cook, just like the burgeoning Edinburgh scene is at the moment
TPC, Gleber2, Jeid, all you guys out there with the experience can muck in, and everyone gains! Just give your opinion on the following questions...
Rehearsal: Where, how much and how often?
Genre:What the band likes or what the fans like?
Clothes:Leather jackets or the Goth look: what will we get for xmas?
Sound: Buy that neat 5K rig with backfill and a superb in-ear monitoring system for the drummer, or save up for some new plectrums?
Attitude: Mean and moody, manic or boys next door?
Lighting: Do we need it or will the village hall fluorescents do the trick?
Burds/Boys: How many groupies do we really need? And is her car more important than her short skirt?
Gigs: Only do a few worldwide stadiums, or go for a really comprehensive 'back to our roots' tour of the Newmarket, Comm, Skins, Holborn, Y-Not.
Transport: Do we let that gimpy bloke hang about with us just because he's got a transit?
Set List: All self-penned or throw in a few choice covers. Or 12-bar. Or all covers from the 70's and 80's. Or go for the money and play country?
Lifestyle: Aim to burn out young on sex, drugs, rock n roll, or play the long game and stick it out for the nostalgia circuit (Newmarket, Comm, Skins, Holborn, Y-Not and finish at the Legion)
Once we've got your answers, I'm sure the Caithness scene will take off like that of any other 28 000 total resident area.

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Oct-07, 21:28
Rehearsal: Where, how much and how often?
Genre:What the band likes or what the fans like?
Clothes:Leather jackets or the Goth look: what will we get for xmas?
Sound: Buy that neat 5K rig with backfill and a superb in-ear monitoring system for the drummer, or save up for some new plectrums?
Attitude: Mean and moody, manic or boys next door?
Lighting: Do we need it or will the village hall fluorescents do the trick?
Burds/Boys: How many groupies do we really need? And is her car more important than her short skirt?
Gigs: Only do a few worldwide stadiums, or go for a really comprehensive 'back to our roots' tour of the Newmarket, Comm, Skins, Holborn, Y-Not.
Transport: Do we let that gimpy bloke hang about with us just because he's got a transit?
Set List: All self-penned or throw in a few choice covers. Or 12-bar. Or all covers from the 70's and 80's. Or go for the money and play country?
Lifestyle: Aim to burn out young on sex, drugs, rock n roll, or play the long game and stick it out for the nostalgia circuit (Newmarket, Comm, Skins, Holborn, Y-Not and finish at the Legion)
Once we've got your answers, I'm sure the Caithness scene will take off like that of any other 28 000 total resident area.

Whether you're trying to wee on the chips or not, Tubthumper, you pretty much answered everything in your last sentence. The subject of an equipped rehearsal facility in Caithness is really up to those who live there and want to see it happen; not me.

Tubthumper
05-Oct-07, 21:40
Whether you're trying to wee on the chips or not, Tubthumper, you pretty much answered everything in your last sentence. The subject of an equipped rehearsal facility in Caithness is really up to those who live there and want to see it happen; not me.
What, you mean you don't have advice to help our young musos establish a scene? Or won't you share it with them? After all, in order to be a credible critic, one must have at least a modicum of relevant knowledge and experience in the field.
So if we need a scene, your K & E are obviously vital. And as a proud Caithness musical exile, surely you have no problem about helping the poor tired old County...?

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Oct-07, 22:08
I dunno; the tone of your post gives me the feeling you're taking the swisher from the Armitage Shanks. Do you really, really care about what I might have to say?

K dragon
05-Oct-07, 22:36
took a step closer at working towards a facility for bands to rehearse.

have to go through some paper work apparntley then i have to check the building and see how much repair it needs. but its a step.

loganbiffy
06-Oct-07, 02:25
Turned into a debate about it!
I aint looking for anywhere equipped, just somewhere that is basically a shell!

Even just out of town would be fine as long as our gear could be left there.

K dragon
06-Oct-07, 13:45
ah, but you see you've brought up a subject and a problem that has had no solution for a long time. since the closuere and destruction of the view firth not many a place to practice within thurso now.

its a huge problem.

moncur
06-Oct-07, 16:45

The answer is yes. Duress & Empty Fortune would be nothing without my fiesta and tiny trailer!

Jeid
06-Oct-07, 19:26
Well, at least you admit that you're a gimp.