PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes

scotsboy
13-Aug-05, 13:29
No not the bar, the Cricket. I trust everyone is hoping England do us all proud?

Never been a great fan of cricket, but after having managed to get into the one-day stuff, and then really enjoying to 20-20s, the Ashes Test series has kind of won me over.

Rheghead
13-Aug-05, 13:35
That is strange that this subject has cropped up. I have also taken an interest in the Ashes this year for an unknown reason in a long long time, the last time was in 1981 when England won the Ashes.

Omen? Lets hope...

Go Freddie!!

gleeber
13-Aug-05, 16:32
I love cricket and have followed it since I was a boy. The reason was not because we ever played it at school or any form of encouragement from anyone it was because in those days when I came home from school there was nothing on the television except cricket. There was only the one channel BBC 1 so there was no choice. I'm glad though because Its a fantastic game.
Theres not many blokes around Thurso or for that matter Scotland into the cricket which is such a shame.
As for the present series. I have always supported England and hope that they win the Ashes back. Theres been some fantastic cricket played so far in the series and fortunately the present Aussie side is not the world beaters of previous tours.
The cricket has just started for the day because of the rain and as I speak the Aussies need another 18 runs to avoid the follow on. They may just about do it but i think even if they dont the English will not enforce the follow on because the pitch will not be good for the side batting last.

champagnebaby
13-Aug-05, 18:11
I don't like watching it cos i don't know what the rules are or how the scores are awarded(showing my blondeness now, lol)

Anyone care to enlighten me please??

Like is it good or bad if you hit the stump things behind the batter?

honestjohn
13-Aug-05, 20:18
Personally I would like to see Australia win the series.

golach
13-Aug-05, 20:29
I don't like watching it cos i don't know what the rules are or how the scores are awarded(showing my blondeness now, lol)

Champagnebaby hope this helps

Cricket is played by two teams of eleven, one team goes in, the other team is out, the team thats out trys to get the team thats in out. Once that has happened, then they reverse the whole process.So that the team that was out now becomes "in" and the team that was "in" becomes "out"

honestjohn
13-Aug-05, 20:43

Champagnebaby hope this helps

Cricket is played by two teams of eleven, one team goes in, the other team is out, the team thats out trys to get the team thats in out. Once that has happened, then they reverse the whole process.So that the team that was out now becomes "in" and the team that was "in" becomes "out"

Unless the team that is "in" cannot reach a certain amount of runs which were set by the team that is now "out" in the first innings when they were" in", to avoid a follow on which means that if the team which bats first have a lead of over 200 runs has the option requiring the other team to follow their innings. Confused?, so am I. And only god knows how they manage a draw in cricket. I always thought a draw was when both teams score an equal amount. Funny old game cricket.

gleeber
13-Aug-05, 23:46
A draw is when neither team is either in or out. :confused

gleeber
11-Sep-05, 09:58
2 days to go and my money is on England winning the ashes back. OK the weather may play an important factor in the result but that can take nothing away from the English performance over the whole series. They have been fantastic.
Unfortunately after this series is over cricket is being privatised. Young people who have got a touch of the cricketing bug over the summer will only be able to watch cricket on Sky Sports. Shame on the cricketing authorities for selling out to the highest bidder. Cricket will never achieve the heights of footbal in this country unless it is seen as often on the television as football. Mind you football allows ordinary people to turn into raging bigots for a while so maybe thats another attraction in football that cricket doesnt embrace. Limited over games have been introduced (20 overs a team) to attract peoples attention but even then the traditional cricket fan pours scorn on the idea. Sometimes people have to be dragged screaming and scratching into the modern world. Traditional cricket fans are no exception.
Something cricket doesnt have is the bigotry and prejudice displayed by football supporters. The football thread (Scotland 2 Norway1) is pretty active at the moment Hopefully they stay there and make cricket a no bigot zone on caithness.org. :D

Sandra
11-Sep-05, 13:11
In simpler teams, think of 'in' as the team that is batting, and think of 'out' as the team that is bowling/fielding.

When they mention scores like 237 for 5, that means the runs the 'in' team have scored against the number of wickets that team 'out' have taken.

Think of wicket as a batsman.

So 237 for 5, means the 'in' (batting) team have scored 237 runs, but they have lost 5 batsmen (wickets). Which leaves them another 6 batsmen to bat.

This is how it was explained to me by my friends, all females, who understood cricket alot more than me. Thanks to them I can now watch cricket with an understanding of the scoring.

A run is when the batsman runs between the two wicket stumps. They can also score a 4 or 6..... 4 is when the ball is hit to the boundary, 6 is when the ball is hit beyond the boundary and doesn't touch the ground on it's way.

Taking a wicket is when the bowler hits the wicket stumps behind the batsman, or when the ball is caught by a fielder (after being hit by batsman), and something called LBW (leg before wicket), which is when the ball hits the batsmans leg protectors or hand before the ball hits the bat (or something like that .... LOL).

There are other ways of getting out too.

An 'over' is the term used for bowling. In Test cricket it's 6 balls per over, which means they bowl the ball 6 times, then the bowler changes. So when they talk about 90 overs, it means the ball is bowled 540 times.

Take a look at these sites for more details.

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/hosking/cricket/explanation.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/cricket/rules/default.stm

lasher
11-Sep-05, 16:34
Come on Australia!! :D :)

2little2late
11-Sep-05, 18:37
Looks like England has the act of god on their side. Talk about lady luck. If rain stops play altogether the the match will be drawn and England will win the ashes by default.

How can a match be drawn just because the weather puts a halt to play?
Surely a draw is when both teams have scored exactly the same amount of runs in exactly the same amount of innings by getting exactly the same amount of batsmen out.

But, as the saying goes "FUNNY OLD GAME CRICKET".

Rheghead
12-Sep-05, 00:51
Rain or no rain, bad light or good light, England still scored more than the Aussies in their first innings.

armi
12-Sep-05, 11:33
Well, I have been away from Scotland for 20 years and oh dear. It appears we have been letting in too many white settlers. I mean cricket, who cares its an English game.

Therefore as a true Scot I hope they lose. However it looks like the Aussies need a miracle for this to happen.

I cannot believe it is the fastest growing sport in Scotland. Come on now stop this infiltration now. Take up curling or shinty.

Rheghead
12-Sep-05, 14:20
Well, I have been away from Scotland for 20 years and oh dear. It appears we have been letting in too many white settlers. I mean cricket, who cares its an English game.
I cannot believe it is the fastest growing sport in Scotland. Come on now stop this infiltration now. Take up curling or shinty.

Oh dear, if everyone took up that way of thinking then there would be no one playing that really silly game, golf!! [lol]

lassieinfife
12-Sep-05, 14:38

Therefore as a true Scot I hope they lose. However it looks like the Aussies need a miracle for this to happen.

All I know bout cricket is a few years ago a wee team from Fruchie in Fife :lol: went south and beat the "english" team at their game :p ...... not being nasty just dont remember who that team were, no doubt someone can enlighten me?
:lol:

Rheghead
12-Sep-05, 14:40
I mean cricket, who cares its an English game.....
Take up curling or shinty.

Isn't shinty an irish game anyway?

armi
12-Sep-05, 15:04

No I think you will find it is traditionally Scottish. It may have been introduced by the Irish but is only played in Scotland I believe. The Irish prefer hurling.

Re your earlier comments on golf. You dont associate golf as a team sport so no need to support England.

Rheghead
12-Sep-05, 15:36

No I think you will find it is traditionally Scottish. It may have been introduced by the Irish but is only played in Scotland I believe. The Irish prefer hurling.

Re your earlier comments on golf. You dont associate golf as a team sport so no need to support England.

So the aussies new zealanders irish and scots should not play football or Rugby then?

Or the argies shouldn't play football.

your point about scots not plating cricket seems a bit of a joke to me.

armi
12-Sep-05, 15:45
Don't throw the rattle out of the cot. If you had the slightest understanding of cricket you would know it is very much an English tradition.

Scots have only taken up cricket en mass in recent years. Football and rugby, although originating in England, have been played in Scotland and other countries for years.

Mountains and molehills come to mind!

Rheghead
12-Sep-05, 15:52
The first scottish cricket club was kelso 220 years, hardly recently.

I remember the IRA targetting a cricket club in Belfast purely because that it is deemed to be an english game, a similiar view from yours no?

It is a game, if people want to play it, so be it.

armi
12-Sep-05, 15:58

I remember the IRA targetting a cricket club in Belfast purely because that it is deemed to be an english game, a similiar view from yours no?

In the words of Bill Shankly:- 'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

Cricket is not that important. I have no sympathy for any person or organisation that interlinks sport and violence.

Finally, Kelso is practically in England so we can forgive them.

If you want to play cricket fine but why the support for the English.

gleeber
12-Sep-05, 20:23
It was a fantastic feast of cricket played to the extreme by the best players in the world. The Australians were magnificent both in the way they played the game and the way they accepted defeat. All of them credited England as being the best team and anyone who knows anything about cricket canna disagree. I cant wait for the next series in Oz starting in December 2007.
I remember as a kid there was a cricket team in Wick called the Wick Oliphants. There was also a concrete wicket over at the Dammies in Thurso but I cant remember anyone ever playing there. I imagine with a concrete wicket the ball would have bounced pretty high. :eek: I have seen an old picture of a Thurso cricket team taken at the turn of last century so cricket was certainly played in Caithness many years ago.

cullbucket
12-Sep-05, 21:37
Well, I am a bit confused, even though I am against the English in every other sport I have turned into an England Cricket fan. I started to feel sorry for the English while in South Africa last Xmas, if you want to see one sided reporting that makes the UK press look good, check out South Africa.
I went along to one of the tests, enjoyed it, took the plunge and have been living with my guilty secret ever since.

The tests have been fantstic and the fair play and sportsmanship from both sides has been excellent.
Well done England.

Whitewater
12-Sep-05, 21:48
Hi gleeber, I agree with you all the way, it was a brilliant series and rekindled my intrest in cricket.

I learned to play on that concrete wicket in the dammies many years ago, the ball didn't bounce too high though as the concrete was covered with a green hession carpet and I guess it reacted in similar fashion to the wickets you would find on a 'normal' pitch. I used to play 'wicket keeper' and bat a bit, but was no use at bowling.(still am not much good at bowling though it is the flat green now)

It has only been in the last few years that the Wick Oliphants ceased to exist, I think they just ran out of opposition.

scotsboy
13-Sep-05, 07:00
Well done England :cool:

bigjjuk
13-Sep-05, 08:51
armi i think u need to sort out your arguments before posting them.

You want the white settlers out of caithness and you dont want scots to take up english sports such as cricket, and you also said cricket is english orientated so dont join the sport.

Now I thought football was just as orientated as cricket, I have just read a post about how to much advertisment and news is based on the english even when they lose, so does that mean you want the scots to quit football as well. Or are just just gonna pick the sports that you want to stay in to benefit your argument.

It would be ashamed to see the scots not enter cricket in the last 2 years they have grown to be a very good side and can only improve.

I also assume you dont like the english can i ask why???
wot reason?
What have us english done to upset you and can we apologise for this?

scorrie
13-Sep-05, 11:57

Where do you get your info Rheghead?

Kelso Cricket Club were established in 1821, making them 184 years old and not 220. If you are going to quote figures, why not make sure they are correct?

Rheghead
13-Sep-05, 12:48
oops I misread the google search.

I see you're just like DrSzin, always checking up on the facts. I better be a bit more careful in future.... :o)

If you are going to quote figures, why not make sure they are correct?
Actually to be really pedantic, we are both wrong according to this source,Kelso CC started in 1820. ;)
http://www.cricketeurope.org/SCOTLAND/DATABASE/SCL/history.shtml

scotsboy
13-Sep-05, 12:54
Perhaps those who wshed England defeat (which I am sure was more important to them than Australia winning) would care to comment on the Scotsmen who have played for England (3 captains amongst them I believe) at Cricket in the past?

I think if anyone has a real gripe it must be the Welsh.......isn't it the England and Wales Cricket Board? Maybe we should campaign for it to be renamed the United Kingdom Cricket Board :cool:

scorrie
13-Sep-05, 14:26
[quote="Rheghead"]
I see you're just like DrSzin, always checking up on the facts. I better be a bit more careful in future.... :o)
[/quote

Nothing wrong with expecting accuracy in my opinion. If you are going to quote figures then it is surely worth making sure they are correct. I would only check other people's "facts" if they seemed to be wrong. Obviously your quote of as many Scots living in England as there are in Scotland was highly doubtful, even to the ungoogled eye. If you prefer to carry on quoting mis-information then crack at it!!

Rheghead
13-Sep-05, 15:04
For the purposes of proving that cricket is not just a recent thing in scotland like armi claimed, a ball park figure of around 200yrs would have proved the arguement. I wasn't really claiming historical accuracy.

Saveman
13-Sep-05, 20:05
Absolutely amazing!
What a series! England playing reportedly the "best team to have ever taken the field in the history of the game", and England beat them!
PLUS: Richie Benauds last commentary in Britain, Warne and McGraths last test in Britain, and Channel 4s last coverage before Sky take over.

For anyone who has grown up watching England get thrashed year after year (on terrestrial TV) this was an unforgettable summer experience.
All I'm saying is: as a sporting spectacle it was up there with the best. :)

Savey

jacktar
13-Sep-05, 23:05
GOD! AM I THE ONLY ONE SICK OF HEARING AND SEEING THIS.DO WE HAVE TO GET IT RAMED DOWN OUR THROATS EVERY TIME WE PUT THE NEWS ON.TYPICAL OF THE ENGLISH,OVER THE TOP AS USUAL.PEOPLE DYING ALL OVER THE WORLD,BUT THE MAIN HEADLINES "CRICKET"
GET A GRIP!

Saveman
13-Sep-05, 23:24
Just because I enjoyed the cricket, and mentioned that fact under the topic "The Ashes" doesn't mean I'm not concerned about people dying all over the world.
And I'm not English. :)
But I think your comment "typical of the English" is a gross generalisation.
Do you mean typical of the English press?

jacktar
13-Sep-05, 23:51
YES,THE ENGLISH PRESS JUST DON'T KNOW WHEN TO SHUT UP.

Rheghead
13-Sep-05, 23:55
YES,THE ENGLISH PRESS JUST DON'T KNOW WHEN TO SHUT UP.

Yes I am getting quite tired of it now as well, but as these things only come around every 18 years then I just have to endure it a bit more.

Rheghead
13-Sep-05, 23:58
GOD! AM I THE ONLY ONE SICK OF HEARING AND SEEING THIS.DO WE HAVE TO GET IT RAMED DOWN OUR THROATS EVERY TIME WE PUT THE NEWS ON.TYPICAL OF THE ENGLISH,OVER THE TOP AS USUAL.PEOPLE DYING ALL OVER THE WORLD,BUT THE MAIN HEADLINES "CRICKET"
GET A GRIP!

But it does on the other hand make a change to the usual rubbish news.

Tymey
14-Sep-05, 17:51
The thing is for millions of people, myself included, this is a big deal. I think it is good just for once to have something positive on the news. As for the anti-English sentiment, well I am not English. The England cricket is English in name only (does that really matter in the 21st century). Simon Jones is Welsh, Geraint Jones was born in Papua New Guinea. In the time since England last won the Ashes they have had players from Scotland, Northern Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Zimbabwe, Hong Kong, India etc etc.

What however, about cricket in Caithness? I see we lost recently to Orkney. Are there trials (not for losing) for those who enjoy the game. I can hold a bat, have my own pads and once made 36 not out in my back garden.

Finally I think it is good to note that Scotland along with Ireland have qualified for the cricket world cup in the West Indies in 2007. Scotland will take on Australia. Superb!

gleeber
14-Sep-05, 18:41
I used to have a knockabout with the Caithness guys about 5 years ago. Ive never played cricket but they were very patient. Thet used to play on the viewfirth green but I havnt seen them there for a couple of years. Did I hear them say theres cricket practice in the high school during the winter months?
Unfortunately the cricketing authorities have sold out to Sky Sports for the next 4 years. It would be great if they were to promote the game in Scottish schools. In all my time at school i never once got cricket. Is it the same now? How much is down to the gym master about the sports they teach the kids? My gym teacher was Mr Kidd but I presume he wasnt into cricket. Surely the cricketing authorities could be making an effort to change things now that cricket has hit the limelight.
Kids would love to play it if they had as much encouragement to do so at school as they have football or basketball.
Cricket is as passionate as football and much less delinquent.

Saveman
16-Sep-05, 21:26
What however, about cricket in Caithness? I see we lost recently to Orkney. Are there trials (not for losing) for those who enjoy the game. I can hold a bat, have my own pads and once made 36 not out in my back garden.

Heres some contacts for you......hope they're of use....
http://www.caithness.org/sport/ball/cric/cca.htm
:)