PDA

View Full Version : Eating out in caithness

tommy1979
01-Oct-07, 23:33
Folks, anyone care to recommend some good places to eat out in Caithness? Ideally somewhere that caters well for vegetarians and preferably in or around Wick.

cheers

aburns
03-Oct-07, 16:06
i was up 2 weeks ago & we went to le bistro in thurso they have a good evening menu & a really nice special board!! They have a few vegetarian meals on there... I was very pleased with the food & the service...x

northener
05-Oct-07, 12:58
Bord L'eu, euau, eue, - mkdifhfkfnryf!!!! - the French restaurant by the river or Mackays.

If you're watching the pennies then Wetherspoons can be very good value, but I'd suggest going in when it's got a a few people already eating. I've found that if you go in when it's quiet, sometimes you end up with a meal that's been under the heaters a little too long.

Schoolhouse at John O'Groats is getting good reports, be aware they cook to order so expect a leisuirely (but excellent) meal.

Welcomefamily
07-Oct-07, 23:33
The Park in Thurso is good at lunch times, chicken fillet burgers are very good.

Smithy
08-Oct-07, 11:43
Haven't been myself but family members say the pub in castletown that Sandy Mackay has does excellent food.

philupmaboug
08-Oct-07, 12:43
Have to agree Smithy, been twice in the last two weeks, all round great food and a great selection of sweets but not very good for the expanding waist line.... good lad Sandy.

justine
08-Oct-07, 19:04
the old schoolhouse in John O Groats..Nice place, quality meals and great service..Homely atmosphere...

Also try the portland arms, lybster..Not sureif there many places that do veg, meals with me being a meat eater....I am still trying to find one that does a good piece of venison so i can enjoy a good meal after abay born.

outsider
08-Oct-07, 23:05
The pentland make realy nice paninis!!

Venture
09-Oct-07, 10:17
Have to say the last meal we had in No 1 at Mackay's Hotel was superb. It might be a little bit pricey but its worth it for the good food pleasant staff and surroundings. Their sweets were to die for.

Justine -- I dont know if its still on the menu but they did do a very tasty venison dish.

tommy1979
11-Oct-07, 20:34
decided on the old school house, thanks for all your replies :D

bb1stwick
07-Nov-07, 16:54
Wick Meals

The No.1 Bistro (Wick) and Bord De L'eau (Wick) are too expensive. The Smiddy (Thrumster), Nethercliffe (Wick) and Yard (Wick) are not bad. Wetherspoons-Alexander Bain (Wick) is a poor show.

The Queens Hotel (Wick) is a good place for a meal. The hotel has been completely refurbished including the bar which also has a lovely atmosphere. They have Sky and Setanta Sports TV, pool table and dart boards available.

I recommend the Silver Darlings (Wick). The restaurant is lovely and has the view of the harbour and the river mouth. The chef is from a world award winning restaurant and knows how to make a perfect three course meal. Every customer has given excellent views over all.