PDA

View Full Version : Light Bulb Ban

Julia
01-Oct-07, 22:49
What's everybody's thoughts on the coming light bulb ban?

I'm all for it as I already use energy saving bulbs, incandescent light bulbs waste an incredible amount of energy and money but my only tiny gripe is that energy efficient bulbs cast quite a gloomy light and take a while to warm up.

What is to stop shoppers bulk-buying and hoarding bulbs for future use?

www.banthebulb.org

Whitewater
01-Oct-07, 22:57
If you hoard them the light bulb police will be after you, probably with a taser.

Metalattakk
01-Oct-07, 23:00
That would fair light up the room though. [lol]

anneoctober
01-Oct-07, 23:26
we have all the bright sparks on e Org....:lol:

George Brims
01-Oct-07, 23:28
I am in two minds about this. Saving electricity is fine, but what about the disposal problems? There is mercury in those fluorescents. I also dislike the warmup period before they give out a decent amount of light, though I do find the cheaper the bulb the worse that is.

tommy1979
01-Oct-07, 23:45
We all have to face facts and these fluorescent energy saving lamps are the way ahead, They last "practically" forever and the light colour output from them can vary depending on what you like, I personally like the cool white of around 4200 Kelvin as it gives crisp colour definition compared to a standard incandescent lamp

http://www.venturelighting.com/TechCenter/Lamps/Color%20Temp%20Chart.jpg

Cattach
02-Oct-07, 07:49
What's everybody's thoughts on the coming light bulb ban?

I'm all for it as I already use energy saving bulbs, incandescent light bulbs waste an incredible amount of energy and money but my only tiny gripe is that energy efficient bulbs cast quite a gloomy light and take a while to warm up.

What is to stop shoppers bulk-buying and hoarding bulbs for future use?

www.banthebulb.org

I use them in many places around the house but there are areas where I want quick quality light - bathroom in the middle of the night, kitchen on a quick visit for a cuppa, etc. I also find that I cannot have one in my bedside lamp as it causes interference with my beside clock radio.

All the saving is negated by the ever increasing lighting out of the home at businesses, road signs, advertising, etc. Light pollution is a big problem and though the lights may be of a lower usage type this ever increasing light pollution is very costly.

fred
02-Oct-07, 08:07
All the saving is negated by the ever increasing lighting out of the home at businesses, road signs, advertising, etc. Light pollution is a big problem and though the lights may be of a lower usage type this ever increasing light pollution is very costly.

I agree. It is the ever increasing outside lighting where real savings could be made, it is madness banning light bulbs while people are wasting money lighting up the night sky. They could ban patio heaters too and make a huge impact, the smoking ban has led to a lot of pubs down south heating an outside area for smokers.

Most of the energy ordinary light bulbs are claimed to waste is not wasted anyway. If you have a 100w light bulb that bulb gives out 100w of energy, it is all converted to heat and helps to warms the home.

newpark
02-Oct-07, 08:33
I hate them, rooms look so glum with energy saving bulbs. I will continue to not use them as long as I can.

Thumper
02-Oct-07, 09:12
I do use them but I really don't like them, they take so long to warm up and give a half decent light....many a night I have tried to get ready to go out only to find my make up looks like a clowns when I go into "real light" :eek: mind you it gives my mates a laugh.They are ok but really could do with being brighter x

northener
02-Oct-07, 09:15
Ban ALL lightbulbs, I say.

Rushlights are the way forward - Carbon neutral, organic and edible - especially if you use beef dripping as tallow.

johno
02-Oct-07, 13:07
niether do i use them, they do not give a decent light . i think that switching off lights & appliances when there not needed is a better way to go green.:cool:

Ricco
02-Oct-07, 19:10
I agree. It is the ever increasing outside lighting where real savings could be made, it is madness banning light bulbs while people are wasting money lighting up the night sky. They could ban patio heaters too and make a huge impact, the smoking ban has led to a lot of pubs down south heating an outside area for smokers.

Most of the energy ordinary light bulbs are claimed to waste is not wasted anyway. If you have a 100w light bulb that bulb gives out 100w of energy, it is all converted to heat and helps to warms the home.

I agree with Fred here. A ban on patio heaters is common sense - what a moronic device! "Hey, let's light up and try to warm this big open space" Goodness, I cannot believe that those things are actually legal!

mareng
02-Oct-07, 20:04
I agree with Fred here. A ban on patio heaters is common sense - what a moronic device! "Hey, let's light up and try to warm this big open space" Goodness, I cannot believe that those things are actually legal!

That is my gut feeling about them, but on a previous thread - someone stated how long the gas bottle lasted and I had to admit that it wasn't really a hanging offence.

I wonder how much money Gordon Brown and his henchmen spent............. trying to see if they could put a tax (sorry - "environmental levy") on light bulbs................?

pjyemail
02-Oct-07, 22:18
some things need the old type bulbs like reptiles to get the heat they need, if you ban them how would i heat my reptile?

I have energy saving light bulbs every where else.

also you can't use them on dimmer switches and touch lamps, so you will not beable to ban them.