PDA

View Full Version : Smoking ban

justine
01-Oct-07, 20:34
Well they have gone and finally done it and raised the legal age limit for buying fags to 18. There is just one thing i would like to know is how will they stop young teens getting them from the net.There are loads of sites that sell cigs and as long as they have either a bank account or even postal order and an address they can pretty much get what they want..I agree with the age limit but i still dont think that they will combat the smoking problem amongst teens.....Any words from the orgers on this....

Julia
01-Oct-07, 22:23
Cigs on the internet, didn't know they could! At least by raising the age limit it should make it harder for kids to buy them, a worthwhile deterrent, and with shopkeepers facing a £2500 fine for breaking the law it may just work.

I'm all for a total ban on smoking in all public places, by all means smoke but do it in your own home.

Now that smokers are banished to the doorways it's not so nice for us non-smokers having to get past them without inhaling their second hand smoke, it's easy for me to hold my breath for a second but my baby can't!

I really can't express how much I detest smoking and banning the sale of cigarettes to under-18's can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Cattach
02-Oct-07, 07:54
Well they have gone and finally done it and raised the legal age limit for buying fags to 18. There is just one thing i would like to know is how will they stop young teens getting them from the net.There are loads of sites that sell cigs and as long as they have either a bank account or even postal order and an address they can pretty much get what they want..I agree with the age limit but i still dont think that they will combat the smoking problem amongst teens.....Any words from the orgers on this....

It is astep in the right direction but needs the support of the retailers. Last night on TV I saw the results of a testing of a number of shops. Almost all sold cigs to a 16 year old girl who looked 14. None asked for proof or even questioned her age. Shopkeepers say they find it diffivult to age kids - simple, if in doubt do not sell if the person does not have proof. Many youngsters now have picture driving licence, student cards, school identity cards, etc, so should be no difficulty proving age if over 18.

brandy
02-Oct-07, 08:29
now just to raise the drinking age to 21...

newpark
02-Oct-07, 08:30
I agree with anything that may help stop kids starting smoking but how many kids buy their own fags? Hardly any. I dont think rasing the limit will help. I'm afraid I can't think of anything that may help so I suppose anything is worth a try.

mccaugm
02-Oct-07, 09:06
Cigs on the internet, didn't know they could! At least by raising the age limit it should make it harder for kids to buy them, a worthwhile deterrent, and with shopkeepers facing a £2500 fine for breaking the law it may just work.

I'm all for a total ban on smoking in all public places, by all means smoke but do it in your own home.

Now that smokers are banished to the doorways it's not so nice for us non-smokers having to get past them without inhaling their second hand smoke, it's easy for me to hold my breath for a second but my baby can't!

I really can't express how much I detest smoking and banning the sale of cigarettes to under-18's can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Could not have put it better myself.

young_fishin_neep
02-Oct-07, 11:07
oki so i thought i shoul put my point of veiw across as i am 16 and yes a smoker, i felt quite angry over this new law and am now in the process of quiting smokeing as i will no longer be able to buy fags, wat makes me more angry is that fact i have to stop because of the law not because i want to, well technically i do but it is mainly due to the law change.

putting the age up to 18 isnt going to stop alot of people, kids arent afraid to go up to a random person and ask them to buy fags for them, also alot of children know people older than them that can buy their fags for them so either way its not realy going to help.

might just mean an increase on fake ids though to be perfectly honest

kaz xxxxx

TBH
02-Oct-07, 12:20
Let's hope it all for the right reasons and not just to save money from going to the nhs when it could be spent on the military.

mccaugm
02-Oct-07, 12:40
oki so i thought i shoul put my point of veiw across as i am 16 and yes a smoker, i felt quite angry over this new law and am now in the process of quiting smokeing as i will no longer be able to buy fags, wat makes me more angry is that fact i have to stop because of the law not because i want to, well technically i do but it is mainly due to the law change.

putting the age up to 18 isnt going to stop alot of people, kids arent afraid to go up to a random person and ask them to buy fags for them, also alot of children know people older than them that can buy their fags for them so either way its not realy going to help.

kaz xxxxx

(Don't take offence) Just wondered with all the information out there, why did you start smoking in the first place?

nikki
02-Oct-07, 13:30
I am 16, nearly 17, and I also smoke. I have to agree with Kaz. when the age was 16 it never stopped under 16s from starting, so why do they think that it will work for 18. it just means that the "underage" smokers will be more confident and, as kaz said, ask any stranger to go in and buy fags for them.
I've also tried stopping, but I'm finding it alot harder because I'm being told to, rather than doing it by choice.

ber219
02-Oct-07, 14:54
What a huge waste of time raising the smoking ban by two years is. If kids want to smoke they will smoke.

It doesn't matter how old they are, they will always get served somewhere by a shopkeeper or just get someone else to buy them for them.

It will not make an ounce of different.

scotsboy
02-Oct-07, 15:06
What a huge waste of time raising the smoking ban by two years is. If kids want to smoke they will smoke.

It doesn't matter how old they are, they will always get served somewhere by a shopkeeper or just get someone else to buy them for them.

So would you remove all legislation from the sale of fags then?

ber219
02-Oct-07, 15:10
No i wouldn't remove it at all.

Its just not worth the coverage on the news when their are much more important things to be talked about.

Cookerpebble
02-Oct-07, 15:40

I agree that if kids want to smoke they will find a way. But at least there is something being done to try to make a difference.

Another thing, it was funny that the day a potential drop in cigarette tax, through the age limit increase, was counter balanced with the increase in fuel duty. Conspiracy, probably!

Mr_Me19
02-Oct-07, 16:46
I don't think anyone should smoke. Put simply its not good for their health. But I do feel sorry for all those people (16 and 17 year olds) who are already hooked on smokeing and now have to stop. I think it should have at least been phased in. E.g. If you are 16 now you can still buy them but if your only 15 you can't, and won't be able to next year.

emszxr
02-Oct-07, 17:34

i totally agree.

scorrie
02-Oct-07, 18:07
I don't see it making much difference either. Not sure what it is like in Wick at the moment, but there used to be a shedload of hookie fags and baccy on the go. I wouldn't think that anyone who is happy to cheat the taxman would be too worried about selling to under 18's.

I wonder if anyone has thought about the notion that by making cigarettes harder for under 18's to purchase, it might actually leave those youngsters in a position where it is actually easier for them to obtain drugs instead?

orkneylass
02-Oct-07, 18:15
So because you have not got the sense to want to stop smoking, this legal change is forcing you to do something which is entirely in your interests - what a success story for the change in the law! I hope you do stop, what a huge favour you will do yourself!

kaz xxxxx

orkneylass
02-Oct-07, 18:17
No i wouldn't remove it at all.

Its just not worth the coverage on the news when their are much more important things to be talked about.

Given that smoking kills prematurely at least 100 times more than war, road accidents, HIV, drugs and murders added together, why would it not be a newsworthy subject?

Tubthumper
02-Oct-07, 19:10
I saw today a sight that made
My bubbles rise like lemonade
In uniform, with large schoolbags
The bairns withdrawn, now banned from fags

On first of Oct this age ban came
Cross country for both loon and dame
No more ten Regal King Size smoke
For addict sprogs it is no joke

See shaky Joe and shivering Tanya
What can you do when from cigs they ban ya?
Kylie bites her nails with nerves
And smokey Pete’s got what he deserves

The shops are braced, tobacconists
They know the ages, kids on lists
But lo! No more shoplifting spree
In sweetie shop ‘tween one and three

These days it’s not newspaper shops
The ones that sell fags, juice, pan drops
That suffer bairns in fives and tens
A-lifting sweets and books and pens

Oh no, ‘tis chemists suffer spree
They’re lifting from the pharmacy
It’s Nicotine replacement patches
Departing fast in lots of batches

Inhalators in demand
Because from smokes the kids are banned
Chewing gum with fag-smoke taste
Where pocket-money goes to waste

So soon addiction’s history
The nation’s proud sure, you and me
We’ve saved the kids from smokes and that
Now what do we do as they’ve got too fat?

northener
02-Oct-07, 19:15
Nice one Tubthumper!

young_fishin_neep
02-Oct-07, 21:48
i knew i wasnt ready to stop smoking but the law has now forced me to, if it is so good for my health to stop why is my chest alot worse than it has ever been from smoking playing up, my health was perfectly fine until i began to quit, now im constantly coughing and splutering

i agree with Mr_me19 they should have brought it in slowly it would have certainly made the difference to alot of peoples veiw of the way the governments controling our lifes in this day and age

kaz xxxx

Tubthumper
02-Oct-07, 21:58
Hey, I packed in smoking just over 2 years ago, after 25 years and about 40 a day. I coughed and spluttered for about 6 months, and you would not believe the things I coughed up - black lumps, grey wobbly bits, foul-smelling clods of brown gunge, green slavers; Things that looked like bat's wings, bits of what I thought was lung, it was horrible. Even now, every once in a while, something evil pops out just to remind me why I packed in.

Hey 16 year old, the reason you're coughing and choking is because of the crap you've been putting in, it's your body trying to expel some rubbish that shouldn't be there. It's worth packing in, even if for no other reason than you'll save over £2000 a year, yes £2000 a year! That's a really tasty holiday for you and a mate in Ibiza every year, without having to skimp on bevvy or sleep in a slum.

I wish, when I was 16, that it had been harder to kid on I was a big man by buying fags. That way I wouldn't have spent over £50,000 lining the taxman's pocket over 25 years. Think of the car I could have had!
I'd bite your arm off for a fag right now, but there's no way I'm going back!

Julia
02-Oct-07, 23:08
if it is so good for my health to stop why is my chest alot worse than it has ever been from smoking playing up, my health was perfectly fine until i began to quit, now im constantly coughing and splutering

As Tubthumper says it is your lungs getting rid of all the muck they have been fed since you began smoking, the coughing will soon stop and you will feel loads better, your sense of taste and smell will improve and your hair and clothes won't stink like an dirty old ashtray.

Hey, I packed in smoking just over 2 years ago, after 25 years and about 40 a day. I coughed and spluttered for about 6 months, and you would not believe the things I coughed up - black lumps, grey wobbly bits, foul-smelling clods of brown gunge, green slavers; Things that looked like bat's wings, bits of what I thought was lung, it was horrible. Even now, every once in a while, something evil pops out just to remind me why I packed in.

Now if ever there was a reason to never smoke or to quit right now then your post is it! Thank you for sharing your lung contents with us, I hope it will endeavour at least one person to quit.

Welcomefamily
03-Oct-07, 09:45
Its about time they put the price up as well.

ber219
03-Oct-07, 10:07
Putting the price up is no good for anyone. As earlier mentioned it would be cheaper for kids to go by drugs than a pack of fags and also if they did want a pack then it will just get kids to steal to gain the money.

Welcomefamily
03-Oct-07, 10:34
Might beworth giving up kids

golach
03-Oct-07, 10:42
Might beworth giving up kids
Kids!!! I gave them up a long time ago........I never could eat a whole one [lol]

loganbiffy
03-Oct-07, 11:53
As a few people have said already, kids can get fags from anywhere these days, i started when i was 13 and i quit over 3 years ago.
It is all down to the individual and what they want to do, whether it be smoking or drinking or whatever else.
I agree with the smoking ban in pubs and clubs and stuff but when is the government gonna stop trying to play god?

It really is down to the individual, 16 year olds can have sex and get married yet not buy ciggies? Ridiculous.
Watch the drinking age go up now too (it still wouldn't stop kids getting booze)

Cookerpebble
03-Oct-07, 12:05
Putting the price up is no good for anyone. As earlier mentioned it would be cheaper for kids to go by drugs than a pack of fags and also if they did want a pack then it will just get kids to steal to gain the money.

Sorry I'm a bit sketchy with the details, but I heard on Radio 5 the results of a survey asking people how much they were willing to pay for cigarettes, the price was astonishingly high around £15 give or take a few quid.

mccaugm
03-Oct-07, 15:41
i knew i wasnt ready to stop smoking but the law has now forced me to, if it is so good for my health to stop why is my chest alot worse than it has ever been from smoking playing up, my health was perfectly fine until i began to quit, now im constantly coughing and splutering

i agree with Mr_me19 they should have brought it in slowly it would have certainly made the difference to alot of peoples veiw of the way the governments controling our lifes in this day and age

kaz xxxx

Kaz thats what will happen when you give up, your body is trying to get rid of the thick, gloopy tar and chemicals in your lungs etc. keep at it as it will be worth it in the end. Believe me....

mccaugm
03-Oct-07, 15:45
As a few people have said already, kids can get fags from anywhere these days, i started when i was 13 and i quit over 3 years ago.
It is all down to the individual and what they want to do, whether it be smoking or drinking or whatever else.
I agree with the smoking ban in pubs and clubs and stuff but when is the government gonna stop trying to play god?

It really is down to the individual, 16 year olds can have sex and get married yet not buy ciggies? Ridiculous.
Watch the drinking age go up now too (it still wouldn't stop kids getting booze)

Why can't being an adult be set at one age? Sex, Marriage, driving, drinking, smoking etc, 18 for everything. Someone told me once, it would be too much for an 18 year old to handle. What I don't understand is having children is the biggest responsibility in the world but you can do that at 16 but you are not trusted to have a cigarette or alcohol for 2 years after that..daft IMHO.

rfr10
03-Oct-07, 16:58
I still haven't quite figured out why people smoke yet unless they just want to die earlier...

I don't see why they couldn't have raised the actual legal age to smoke rather than just the age to buy cigarettes because basically what smokers are being told is, it's still okay for you to smoke at 16 you just have to get someone else to buy them for you. I can't really get that. Putting the age for buying cigarettes is not going to stop young people from starting smoking because I'm sure they'll always find someone who is 18 years old to buy them for them. Raising the legal age to smoke however may put a message into their heads saying "This is illegal what I'm doing. Maybe I should stop" But no, they're just getting told to carry on smoking, but we'll make it a challange to see how you're going to get your hands on them.

I understand that it may not be so simple just to raise the illegal age for smoking as, if you are a 16 year old and already smoke then, it is going to be very difficult for them to immediately stop smoking. You see pleanty of people under the age of 16 smoking so all that raising the age for buying cigarettes is going to do is make the smoker go to a different, older person to get them from.

orkneylass
03-Oct-07, 19:40
I still haven't quite figured out why people smoke yet unless they just want to die earlier...

I don't see why they couldn't have raised the actual legal age to smoke rather than just the age to buy cigarettes because basically what smokers are being told is, it's still okay for you to smoke at 16 you just have to get someone else to buy them for you. I can't really get that. Putting the age for buying cigarettes is not going to stop young people from starting smoking because I'm sure they'll always find someone who is 18 years old to buy them for them. Raising the legal age to smoke however may put a message into their heads saying "This is illegal what I'm doing. Maybe I should stop" But no, they're just getting told to carry on smoking, but we'll make it a challange to see how you're going to get your hands on them.

I understand that it may not be so simple just to raise the illegal age for smoking as, if you are a 16 year old and already smoke then, it is going to be very difficult for them to immediately stop smoking. You see pleanty of people under the age of 16 smoking so all that raising the age for buying cigarettes is going to do is make the smoker go to a different, older person to get them from.

And what enforcement of the law did you see for smokers aged under 16 before the law change????

Julia
03-Oct-07, 21:10
Won't the ban encourage 'dealing' of cigarettes? Picture it - over 18's hanging around on street corners looking shifty waiting for the next under 18 trying to score some cigs at inflated prices.