PDA

View Full Version : Ormlie - Cat shot with Air Gun

bremkins
12-Aug-05, 20:31
Hi. One of my cats got shot in the small hours of this morning (apx 2.15am, Fri 13 Aug) by somebody using an airgun in Ormlie. I live in Henderson Street and my cats roam Macaulay View, Meiklejohn Court + Marr Terrace so I am assuming that it must have happened in this area. Plus I could hear the shots from my house so it couldn't have happened too far away. I would just like to warn other pet owners in this area to be careful. Thankfully my cat will survive although his eye had to be removed today. The Vet cannot remove the pellet from the eye socket and there is a fear that it will move and possibly give him brain damage. It is only by chance that my cat will survive as he was discovered by my neighbour in their garden curled up under a bush, weak and waiting to die.

If you are the person that commited this sick and cowardly act, this incident has been reported to the police.

Please tell the police if you have any info on who this person is.

Thankyou

caithnessgirl
12-Aug-05, 20:34
oh my god thats awful! hope puss is on the road to recovery soon! :o)

Rheghead
12-Aug-05, 21:11
Sorry to hear about your cat. My cat also lost an eye because of a disgruntled neighbour. If it puts your mind at rest, they soon get used to having one eye.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Aug-05, 22:51
I doubt such vermin would be found trawling messageboards such as this. However...

kas
12-Aug-05, 22:52
This is things you expect to read in the papers not happen in your own town. It was a very cruel, sick crime and I hope the culprit is caught.
I hope your cat recovers as well as can be expected considering what the poor thing went through.

Margaret M.
12-Aug-05, 22:55
I sure hope they find the low-life scum who did it. Wishing kitty a speedy recovery.

Liz
12-Aug-05, 23:46
Poor poor cat! Very much hope he makes a full recovery both physically and emotionally.

What kind of sick and twisted mind takes pleasure in inflicting suffering on a poor defenceless creature!!!!! [mad]

What worries me is they might be doing this to stray cats who will have no-one to care for them and could be lying somewhere injured and in pain. It doesn't bear thinking about!! :(

Really, really hope the culprits are caught.

Riffman
13-Aug-05, 11:46
Gah, as an airgun owner I find this sickening. Who in their right mind would want to shoot at a cat, and at the same time endanger the public and break several laws!

It is a criminal offence to have an airgun in a public place without it being in a securly fastened container, and firing it on public land or within 50 feet of any road or public land is also an offence. IIRC the maximum fine is about £5,000, or 6 month inside.

What's the betting this was done by kids who are too young to legally use an airgun?!

Hope you cat recovers ok,

Riff

bremkins
13-Aug-05, 18:09
Hi. Thanks for all your supporting comments. I just thought I would let you know that I got my cat back from the vets today and he is doing well. He is feeling a bit depressed because he has to wear one of those collars and he's not allowed outside but his missing eye doesn't seem to be bothering him. He doesn't look too pretty at the moment but once his eyelids have healed shut and the fur grows back he will be fine. I am just so thankful that he is alive and on the mend.

Once again, I implore anybody who may have information on who the shooter is, please report it to the police. Also I would strongly advise any pet owners in that area to keep their pets indoors at night, I know I will be.

Thankyou.

Liz
13-Aug-05, 19:03
So glad that your cat is recovering well although it should never have happened in the first place! [mad] Really hope the louts responsible for this are caught!

Bach Flower Rescue Remedy might help. It can be added to the drinking water. It can even help with pain relief.

As Rheghead said your cat will cope fine without an eye.

You are right in saying that it is safer for cats to be kept in at night. In fact it is safer to keep them in before dusk as this is the worst time for road accidents etc.
It is a myth that cats should be 'put out at night'.

I'm not blaming you for letting your cat out though and it isn't your fault this happened. You obviously love your cat very much.

Give him a big hug and tell him that there are a lot of people thinking of him !

Liz

marion
13-Aug-05, 19:15
Sad, sad, sad. We are proud owners of a cat who is a house cat and we leave it outside only when we are outside with her when and where we can keep our eyes open for her safety.

bremkins
14-Aug-05, 15:39
This will be my last posting on this forum as I think my original message is being lost. I posted the original message to warn other pet owners and the public that somebody in the Ormlie area is up to no good with an airgun. This kind of behaviour is dangerous and against the law for a reason. Whether you are a cat lover or not, surely this kind of incident in a residential area is a concern for everyone?

I would also like to point out that my cats wear collars and tags, they are microchipped and dressed, up to date with their vaccinations, regularly wormed and treated for fleas/tics etc. Nothing that my cats could possibly do to my neighbours could warrant them being shot at.

I would also like to tell you a bit about my cat that got shot and lost his eye. He is little more than a kitten really as he is not even a year old yet. He is such a simple, sweet natured little thing. He's a real mummy's boy and he follows me everywhere. When I go to the bathroom he comes with me and sits in the sink or the bath. In the morning, I always find that he's brought me little presents of moss and sweetie papers from outside. I have a furry blanket that he suckles on several times a day for comfort. He dribbles when he is happy. What could he have possibly done to deserve being shot in the eye? He was in so much pain that he crawled away to die. I understand that not everybody likes cats, but could even the most avid cat-hater condone the pain and suffering that my pet went through?

Again, I would like to thank people for their supportive comments and once again ask if anyone has any info, please report it to the police as this was a crime afterall.

Thankyou.

gleeber
14-Aug-05, 19:16
Your original message was never lost on this thread bremkins. It was an awful thing that happened to your cat and you have my every sympathy. you seem to embrace the need for cat owners to be more responsible too. I think thats the problem with cats, most owners wash their hands once pussy goes out on the hunt but you are prepared to do everything you can to claim responsability. More power to you.
Golach, the difference is cats are domesticated. We can help to control nature in our gardens by using bells and other electronic gadgets to make pussy more cat hater friendly.
I think cat owners need to become more aware that some people have a problem with cats who they come into contact with on a daily basis. Thats all!

scorrie
14-Aug-05, 21:23
Your original message was never lost on this thread bremkins. It was an awful thing that happened to your cat and you have my every sympathy. you seem to embrace the need for cat owners to be more responsible too. I think thats the problem with cats, most owners wash their hands once pussy goes out on the hunt but you are prepared to do everything you can to claim responsability. More power to you.
Golach, the difference is cats are domesticated. We can help to control nature in our gardens by using bells and other electronic gadgets to make pussy more cat hater friendly.
I think cat owners need to become more aware that some people have a problem with cats who they come into contact with on a daily basis. Thats all!

In what way will a bell on a cat make a cat hater any less likely to despise it? It is people who need to be educated and realise that cats have hunting bred into them and even when they might not be killing for food they are killing in order to keep their skills honed. Human beings are great for trying to rise above their own status as animals and seem to forget that we, too, were hunters and had to be equally ruthless. It is all very sanitised picking up your joint of beef all nicely cut and cellophane wrapped at the local supermarket but the fact is that someone had to put a bullet in the cow's head and bring an end to our modern "hunt" by proxy. I am sure the cow was very relieved to know that it was killed "Humanely"

I dare say, if we could train a cat to hunt down a tin of kit-e-kat then we could replicate the thrill of the chase for him, keep his fitness levels up and appease cat haters all at the same time. That only leaves us with teaching the cat how to operate a tin opener so that he can actually consume his catch if desired.

The fact is that cats are just like people, some people will like you, some will hate you and some may be ambivalent. Just as we tolerate people whom we do not like, so should we show respect for an animal with no pretentions about having moved on from its original status as a hunter.

Solitude
14-Aug-05, 22:44
Ok i think it is my turn to have alittle rant on the subject......

first of all I AM NOT impressed by some of the un-human comments on this post. I am a cat lover and i enjoy the company of cats and have often met one in the street with a kindly stroke. I would like to draw your attention to something.

Scenario A - being told that killing cats is ok (by some of the posts on this board) leads to more cats being shot. If only one impressionable mind where to read this that IS what would happen.

Scenario B - An impressionable mind goes onto another website where some of the post promote killing humans. The person goes out that day and kills a human. This ofcourse is a tragedy!

It's like a balance, if it is tipped either way it will continue to plummit.

WE CANNOTFORGET THAT WE ARE NOT THE ONLY THINGS ON THIS WORLD AND THAT WE MUST LIVE WITH OTHER BEINGS PEACEFULLY AND NOT VIOLENTLY!

Thanks

Sols (Davey C) Hi bremkins ;)

munron
15-Aug-05, 10:32
I don't normally post in these forums and I can see from this thread why.

How people can turn one persons distress at a crime committed against them into a debate on cat ownership and responsibility is beyond me.

If there is a debate here it should be on the mentality of people who commit a crime of this nature. It worries me that there are people in this world that care so little for the hurt inflicted on pets or people.

For the record and I the non cat person who's garden the little man was found in by my dog who is scared of cats. I have shooed them out of my garden as my dog is a bit scared to go out for a pee but I am not so precious that they cannot have the run of my garden most of the time. I think that there are far greater crimes in life and certainly more important things in life than worrying about a garden for god sake. I can also safely say that my back door has remained open all day and neither of my neighbours cats have ever ventured into my house.

BUT the point of this is that one person or some people in my town, in my area and probably in my street think NOTHING of being cruel for amusement sake. That is what this thread should be about, not the defenceless who were harmed in it all.

Solitude
15-Aug-05, 12:55
I agree but don't understanded what you meant in your last sentence. Cats are beautiful creatures just like us humans in every aspect no matter what form that takes on. I would never dream of hurting any living thing (except midgies!! oh yeah and spiders!! oh and forky tails!!) whether it feline or human, i would hate to think what goes on in the mind of people who do not care!

Sols!

jay
15-Aug-05, 13:43
I am not a cat lover and never have been but cats wondering don't bother me what does bother me greatly is that some idiot is loose with a dangerous weapon - just last week we saw a court case where a moron was jailed for killing a toddler with a similar gun -what do we need to do to get rid of these weapons!

mentallywinnie
15-Aug-05, 13:46
jay: There were over 30 posts on this thread and many spoke about the incident in the news but for some reason, (I think this debate got a little overheated) they were removed. (All 3 of my posts included though I am unsure why and have emailled Colin about this)

I TOTALLY agree that this needs to be sorted out and soon, cat now (which is bad enough) what next?

gleeber
19-Aug-05, 00:12
Im not bowing to the argument that because they are doing what comes naturally, cats should be free to roam and kill willy nilly in places where they are not welcome.
However my view has softened since I heard of the plight of pussy cats on Vancouver island of the west coast of Canada.
Apparently domestic animals are a prime target for the American Bald Eagle which lives and nests on the island.
During a recent survey of the birds 30 cat collars were found in one nest. :eek:
Who said theres no God?

Rheghead
19-Aug-05, 10:46
jay: There were over 30 posts on this thread and many spoke about the incident in the news but for some reason, (I think this debate got a little overheated) they were removed. (All 3 of my posts included though I am unsure why and have emailled Colin about this)

I TOTALLY agree that this needs to be sorted out and soon, cat now (which is bad enough) what next?

I noticed that you had masked a swear word with asterisks, the moderator is quite strict on that.

I am surprised that you weren't given a banning warning.

scorrie
19-Aug-05, 13:55
Im not bowing to the argument that because they are doing what comes naturally, cats should be free to roam and kill willy nilly in places where they are not welcome.
However my view has softened since I heard of the plight of pussy cats on Vancouver island of the west coast of Canada.
Apparently domestic animals are a prime target for the American Bald Eagle which lives and nests on the island.
During a recent survey of the birds 30 cat collars were found in one nest. :eek:
Who said theres no God?

Well, Shockarooni!! Animals eat other animals. Why isn't there a campaign to force all Bald Eagles to wear an early warning system for the benefit of the cats? Seems like another good reason for cats NOT to wear collars, I'll bet those Eagles are picking them up by the collar and hanging them up on the branches for a buffet supper, while the cats without collars manage to slip out of their grasp and head home for their vegan nut cutlets.

bremkins
19-Aug-05, 16:53
The posts were removed as this thread had turned into a debate on whether cats were a nuiscance or not instead of the real issues of animal cruelty and gun crime. The Administrator sent me the following email:-

'Just taking the off topic posts away, you posted this "This will be my
last posting on this forum as I think my original message is being lost.
I posted the original message to warn other pet owners and the public
that somebody in the Ormlie area is up to no good with an airgun."

I agree that the original message was being lost, it's your post and not
open for other people to take over as they see fit. The purpose of you
message was clear and we think important, if other people want to start
a thread about a different but related subject then they should do that.'