PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Brown

Kenn
01-Oct-07, 00:44
I would value considered opinion from north of the border in response to a remark that I heard today.
It was mooted that Mr Brown would be unacceptable to scottish voters and that he would be challenged and beaten by The Scottish Nationalist Party.
In view of the fact that Niel Kinnock as a Welshman was deemed un-electable and that was proved to be right then this could also be a pointer towards the next general election as and when it is called.
Sensible replies only please.

TRUCKER
01-Oct-07, 06:09
I dont see why he would be unacceptable to the scottish voter, he would not be any worse than the snp which i think is making a poor job of being in power.
iI dont think this is a pointer on the way that it would go.

peter macdonald
01-Oct-07, 08:46
Lizz when I hear this kind of stuff it makes me laugh .. Who made Neil Kinnock unelectable ??? Certain newspapers (Sun) and sections of the media who for some reason didnt want him in power Why ?? because he was Welsh ,in the labour party ?? I dont know .
As for Gordon Brown I dont think he is unelectable to Scottish voters just because he is Gordon Brown I think it would be a bit more to do with the policies of his party (I would hope that would be the criterion anyway) Some of his remarks about supporting England at football etc and his attempt to anglisise his accent (as at the recent conference) have been seized on by certain sections of the media in Scotland ...but whats that to do with policies??
As for the policies of his party well if he manages to turn round Blairs intervention in Iraq ,ends the preoccupation of UK prime ministers to becoming the USAs foreign minister and becomes more honest about Green taxes and cuts the spin and sleaze then he will be fine ....Time will tell
PM

golach
01-Oct-07, 15:19
I would value considered opinion from north of the border in response to a remark that I heard today.
It was mooted that Mr Brown would be unacceptable to scottish voters and that he would be challenged and beaten by The Scottish Nationalist Party.
In view of the fact that Niel Kinnock as a Welshman was deemed un-electable and that was proved to be right then this could also be a pointer towards the next general election as and when it is called.
Sensible replies only please.
Lizz, with respect, Gordon is acceptable to Scottish voters.......He is a elected MP for Scotland anyway, and IMO a far better man than the present first minister we have at the moment, Gordon is a man with a proven track record as a Cabinet Front Bencher, in a real government, not like Wee Eck and his bunch of Tartan Tories, who could not get enough seats to form a proper Government.

Angela
01-Oct-07, 16:02
Lizz, I really don't think there are many similarities between Gordon Brown and Neil Kinnock.
I honestly don't believe that the Labour Party did not win a UK election under Neil Kinnock's leadership because the man was Welsh, but if that was indeed the case, it would surely be because he was unacceptable to non-Welsh voters. Labour had proved unelectable under Michael Foot's leadership...and he was neither Welsh nor Scottish! That duffel coat of his seemed to be a big contributing factor....:roll:
I would think that - especially since devolution -it might be more likely that a Welsh or Scottish PM, with a Welsh or Scottish constituency, could perhaps be unacceptable to English voters?
How popular the policies of the Labour Party in Scotland prove to be north of the border at the next general election is another matter of course.

cuddlepop
01-Oct-07, 16:20
Lizz, I really don't think there are many similarities between Gordon Brown and Neil Kinnock.
I honestly don't believe that the Labour Party did not win a UK election under Neil Kinnock's leadership because the man was Welsh, but if that was indeed the case, it would surely be because he was unacceptable to non-Welsh voters. Labour had proved unelectable under Michael Foot's leadership...and he was neither Welsh nor Scottish! That duffel coat of his seemed to be a big contributing factor....:roll:
I would think that - especially since devolution -it might be more likely that a Welsh or Scottish PM, with a Welsh or Scottish constituency, could perhaps be unacceptable to English voters?
How popular the policies of the Labour Party in Scotland prove to be north of the border at the next general election is another matter of course.
I think I couldn't have put it better myself.

peter macdonald
01-Oct-07, 16:22
Gollach Under the system we have in Scottish politics it is vurtually impossible for any party to have outright majority as well you know It is that system that makes for better goverance from Edinburgh than the confrontational punch and judy show which Westmister has become As for "wee Eck and the tartan tories" I take it you have not beeen listening to Gordon Browns views on the unions and on public sector wages recently Obviously not John Major must be so jealous of Blair and Browns ability to push on with their right wing agenda
As for New Labour in Scotland a wee look in the Scotsman today gives an admission about corruption in Labours Lanarkshire operation by Clydesdale MSP Karen Gillon,
Thats a surprise now (sic)
PM
Apologies Lizz I didnt mean to hijack your thread

scotsboy
01-Oct-07, 17:46
I despised Blair - but don't mind Brown, I actually think he comes across as genuine.

Kenn
01-Oct-07, 21:51
Interesting points and reading, good to get some straight talk, much appreciated that you took the trouble to answer .