PDA

View Full Version : Strange women in bed.

porshiepoo
29-Sep-07, 17:21
I have to tell you about the most embarrassing incident during our recent stop at RHSC.

By the time my daughter had had her xrays etc and we were shown over to the parents accommodation it was quite late so we just dropped our bags in our room (lovely 3 beds) and my husband and I rushed back to our daughter on the ward.
It was around 10.30 that we managed to leave her for the night and make our way to bed.
The bathroom was a shared one for the whole unit so hubby went into the room while I went to the loo. Now I thought I could hear him chatting to someone (he's soooo loud) but wasn't quite sure so you could imagine my suprise to find that hubby had let himself into our room to find another lady, a rather large lady, in her pj's reading a 'heat' magazine in bed.
Hubby had thought he'd gotten the wrong room and was waiting for this ladies other half to jump him but nope, she assures us we're in the right room we're just sharing for the next night (or so!) with her.
Well, I didn't know what to say. Neither did my husband. I could see he was fidgeting over near his bed looking really uncomfortable and I knew he was thinking about the fact that he wears absolutely zilch to bed. :lol:
I'm sitting on the bed dazed waiting for Jeremy Beadle to jump out while this lady is happily chatting away in her bed! The situation was just so bizarre.
Eventually I realised what hubby's problem was and chucked him some pj bottoms that I'd packed just in case. (must be the old sixth sense).
He looks at me really relieved and legs it to the bathroom while I'm still sitting on the bed wondering what to do next. By this point I'm all up for a night in the car, I mean this woman could be anyone.
Eventually we both get into our beds in complete silence not daring to look at each other else we'd laugh.
The worst of it was I'd bought myself a big bag of big chocolate buttons to eat in bed while reading my mag but I didn't dare eat them cos I knew I'd have to offer her one (hubby would at least know better than to expect one. lol) and by the looks of the sheer enormity of this woman she'd take a blinkin handful. So there sat my buttons all night on the side table just taunting me.:lol:
I managed to drop off to sleep but then heard hubby getting up, he felt so awkward he couldn't sleep and went and sat downstairs at the kitchen table.
Then this woman kept me awake all night with the most loud, god awful snoring I have ever had the misfortune to hear in my entire life, it was bone shattering. I imagine the whole unit heard it - cringe!!!
The next morning I got up at about four and grabbed my clothes as quietly as I could, legged it to the bathroom and changed.

We had a few words to say to the support staff at the unit the next day.
Apparrantly they hadn't realised hubby would be there else they wouldn't have let her share the room, they thought I was a single mum! Besides the point I think, I know we're all in the same boat there but it makes a worrying time all the more fretful if you're worried some strangers going to pop in, undress, leave their monstrous bra and knickers for all to see and climb into a bed next to you.
The funny thing is though that I was going to stay on the ward with my daughter that first night. Imagine how awkward that would have been the next day when hubby explained he'd spent the night with some strange woman. lol.
We can laugh about it now but it was really worrying at the time.

Thumper
29-Sep-07, 17:30
I can definately sympathise with you on this one poshiepoo,when my son was in hospital we didn't even get a room we had to sleep on the dayroom floor...with 3 other parents!It was horrible.I spent the whole nite lying on my handbag (well you never know who is there or indeed who could walk in) and gave up around 3.30am and went to sit at my son's beside instead.Mind you my hubby (at the time) sleep like a baby, but then again he always could [disgust] x

connieb19
29-Sep-07, 17:36
Maybe it was fate. Imagine the state of the sheets if you had fallen asleep with a packet of chocolate buttons in the bed. :eek:

porshiepoo
29-Sep-07, 17:44
Don't think the buttons would have lasted that long Connieb. lol. I don't think I've ever half eaten a bag. :lol:

Thumper the whole situation was bloomin awful. I sympathise with the people that have to sleep at the side of the beds. I think most of them are given fold away beds now but it's still not an easy place to sleep.
Getting a good nights sleep is what helps to keep you going isn't it! I was so blinkin worried that we'd be sharing with someone again that I just couldn't settle at night which made it so much harder during the next day.

angela5
29-Sep-07, 17:54
That must have been a painfull night.....taunted by the chocy buttons!

anneoctober
29-Sep-07, 18:43
poor porshiepoo, your manners are obviously impeccable, however , given that this lady was snoring loudly thats when you could have ripped the packet open, she would n't have heard ! [lol] Is n't it strange how the chocolate aroma permeates through the wrapper? :lol:

WeeBurd
29-Sep-07, 21:10
Oh Porshie, your tale hasn't half made me chuckle out loud:lol:. But I do have complete sympathy for you & Mr Porshie, how incredibly awkward :eek:.

cuddlepop
29-Sep-07, 21:34
You have my upmost sympathy.
Sixteen years ago I had an experience very similar in that I was sharing a room with a woman I didn't know.
Her grandaughter was in heart failure with no hope of a cure and my own daughter was being treated for her's.

The experience for me was so awful I refused to go back to Edinburgh and insisted we went to Glasgow the next time.

I thought when they upgraded, the accommodation was being done to.
Sometimes you do just want to be on your own with your thoughts and you just cant when a stranger is in the room.

Unfortunatly this woman's grandaughter died while I was there.You can imagine the scene.:~(

millwood
29-Sep-07, 22:19
oh , you never ever moaned about me snoring ?

lin
29-Sep-07, 22:22
porshiepoo,
This also happened to me 24 years ago at the RHSC more by choice.
There was a single parent (a man) whos daughter was in the same ward as my daughter. His daughter had Leukemia, and was very poorly. I had talked to this man a few times, he was very nice. As the week went on his daughter was undergoing treatment and was serious. I lived in the hospital in a room with two single beds. He said he was having to live in his car. We approached the ward sister, and asked if we could share the bedroom. It was our choice, we were really strangers, but he was so desprate. That night we put a curtian between the two beds. He had bought me a bottle of wine as a thank you, we sat up half the night and drunk the wine!! We remained friends. Sadly his daughter passed away. Reading your story brought back some bittersweet memories.
Lin

helenwyler
29-Sep-07, 23:16
What an incredibly awkward situation porshiepoo, but you told it brilliantly and made me laugh:)..

...but I wish it hadn't happened at a time when you both needed your sleep and strength.

Hope your daughter's still doing well.

helen

lady penelope
30-Sep-07, 10:14
This is common practice in the McDonald suite in Raigmore.If all the rooms are taken they will put you in a room with someone else. I was introduced to the person I would be sharing with and asked if I didn't mind. The accomodation was better the a hotel and you don't have to pay. They rely on donations and there is always spare clothes and toiletries in case of emergencies.
I don't think they would put men and strange women together though[lol]

paris
30-Sep-07, 19:38
Oh Poo ! It could only happen to you !
Hope Miss poo is getting on ok, Mr Paris is having his op tomorrow.......Just got to wait for the 14 days to get the results...gulp !!!! jan x

mccaugm
30-Sep-07, 19:41
:lol:When my eldest who is now 16 was 11, he broke his arm and I was allocated a room for the night. I didn't realise that I had to share until this woman I obviously didn't know came in. She passed wind in the night much to my amusement. We started chatting and discovered she was my husbands best friends wife. She is now godmother to my youngest son. So these things can have a happy ending I guess...:Razz

floyed
01-Oct-07, 08:50
That story was so funny, you have brightened up my day hehehe:lol:

poppett
04-Oct-07, 11:53
My brother in law was a patient in Raigmore and got up in the night to use the loo. When he went back to bed their was a lady asleep in it. He called the nurse who didn`t want to wake her as she looked so peaceful, and suggested they just swap beds. BiL wasn`t having that, unless the sheets were changed......moan from nurses about the extra work......but it turned out the lady had gone to the empty bed because hers was soaking wet!

mccaugm
05-Oct-07, 14:27
My brother in law was a patient in Raigmore and got up in the night to use the loo. When he went back to bed their was a lady asleep in it. He called the nurse who didn`t want to wake her as she looked so peaceful, and suggested they just swap beds. BiL wasn`t having that, unless the sheets were changed......moan from nurses about the extra work......but it turned out the lady had gone to the empty bed because hers was soaking wet!

Thats really horrible....why didn't the woman just tell a nurse in the first place??