PDA

View Full Version : CMOS Battery

Mall67
29-Sep-07, 07:51
Every time I turn on my PC I get the message "CMOS Battery Failure" Does anyone know what it is and can it be fixed? If so where in Caithness can I get it fixed? Or is it worth fixing?

Cheers

davem
29-Sep-07, 08:37
Its the little battery on the motherboard that lets the pc keep all the settings. I wouldn't have thought it'd be too expensive to replace. You could do it yourself once you'd found out the spec of the battery - just be careful to earth yourself before touching any components. Although I'm sure wiser council will advise more later.
Dave

Mr_Me19
29-Sep-07, 11:22
Maybe not so much wiser.... but its just the "watch battery" that keeps the computer clock going. You may have noticed this? Also when the battery runs out you will lose any settings you made to your BIOS. Easy enough to replace. Just make sure you get the right kind. Usually they just pop out (i think (only had experience on my own computers)) and pop back in. Hope this helps!!

P.S. The best person to help you with this is Bobinovich. I'm sure he will be along to help shortly.

Bobinovich
29-Sep-07, 17:51
LOL Thanks Mr_Me19! Most modern PC's use a CR2032 battery on their motherboards - it's about the size of a 10p piece and half as thick again. Available for jsut a few pounds from most jewellers or your local friendly PC company ;)

I could write out the procedure for changin it but this link (http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp) does it so much better and with pictures!

If you're not confident then send me a PM and we can arrange something for you.

Mall67
30-Sep-07, 08:13
Cheers guys I'll give it a go. Watch this space.