PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Ricco
28-Sep-07, 20:31
This may not be the right forum (I couldn't think of where else to place this appeal) so do forgive me.

I have taken down an old panel ceiling in the garage and am going to insulate between the joists (holding the stuff up by stapling clear plastic sheet to the joists) and want to then fix some fireboard up to cover the joists over again. I realise that this is a two person job but there is just ol' me - so, any suggestions?:eek:

karia
28-Sep-07, 20:51
This may not be the right forum (I couldn't think of where else to place this appeal) so do forgive me.

I have taken down an old panel ceiling in the garage and am going to insulate between the joists (holding the stuff up by stapling clear plastic sheet to the joists) and want to then fix some fireboard up to cover the joists over again. I realise that this is a two person job but there is just ol' me - so, any suggestions?

Hi Ricco,

Congrats on your cycling endeavour..!;)

Stuff that needs doin' above your head is most gut wrenching and really needs two or more folk.

I am sure that you have mates who will help,...I can send a posse of lovely scottish Lassies to assist but you might have some explaining to do!;)

karia

pat
28-Sep-07, 21:36
folk putting up plasterboard have a prop - like a bit of scaffolding they expand to take the weight and keep it in position whilst they secure board in position, ask one of the tradesmen who work with plasterboard what it is they use.
Friend building new house, went to see it last week, fellas were using this thing - saw it and thought it was a great idea but did not really pay much attention to it
May be local tool hire place would know what I mean if you cannot find out.

Bobinovich
28-Sep-07, 21:59
Ideally what you need is a plasterboard sheet lift with which you can simply wind the sheet up to the ceiling and is ideal for working alone.

However, if you can't hire one of these then I learned a good lesson from a true 'jack of all trades' which was to use a "dead man"!

Using some lengths of rough 2" x 2" (or bigger), cut them a bit longer than the height to the bottom of your joists. Then cut some 2' lengths and nail or screw them to the end of the long pieces to make a long 'T' - 2 of these Ts should be enough.

Unless you're 6' or thereabouts you'll need a couple of saw-horses and some scaffold boards to raise you up to a suitable height for nailing your boards to the rafters.

Now the trick is to get yourself into a good position to raise the board up on one of the Ts, when you're close just lock the T into place between floor & ceiling. Now catch hold of your other T (which you're placed close at hand!) and wedge it the same way. With care you can de-wedge one slightly, nudge the board about a bit until it's in place, then re-wedge it back up. When your board is in place then hammer home your nails or put in your screws.

It'll be tough work but you'll get a massive rush getting the first one up and, from there on it should get easier.

Good luck

Blazing Sporrans
28-Sep-07, 22:04
Bang on Bobinovich. I'm lucky enough to be 6'4" but I used the dead man to put up two complete ceilings and repair three others in just the way you describe.... Best of luck Ricco!

karia
28-Sep-07, 22:37
Bang on Bobinovich. I'm lucky enough to be 6'4" but I used the dead man to put up two complete ceilings and repair three others in just the way you describe.... Best of luck Ricco!

Drawing your attention to the words 'dead' and 'man'!;)

Oh yeah!:eek:

karia

Tristan
29-Sep-07, 08:16
I find screws faster but you will want to use some nails. tap them into the plaster board before you try and put it up. When you get it in place it up it is a quick few taps to secure it.

Assuming you manage to get it up and in place the chances are your plaster board will not line up right on the joist. Leave the overhang of plaster board and screw a piece of wood to the overhang so that it overhangs a bit as well. You will be able to screw your next piece of drywall onto the wood.
.....................................joist........ ...............joist.................joist
.......................................|...._____ wood......|.....................|
plaster board --------------------- -------------------------------

Mall67
29-Sep-07, 08:20
I might be wrong but using plastic to hold up your insulation may encourage moisture later on. I would put the boards on first and leave an access hatch then put down the insulation. Good Luck

Ricco
29-Sep-07, 09:08
Hi Ricco,

Congrats on your cycling endeavour..!

I am sure that you have mates who will help,...I can send a posse of lovely scottish Lassies to assist but you might have some explaining to do!

karia

Thanks, Karia. I saw on TV last night about a charity ride one the south coast - 100 miles; now that sounds interesting!

You are a dear.. a posse of lovely lassies will be wonderful, but it wouldn't be the ceiling that goes up! ;)

karia
29-Sep-07, 21:32
Thanks, Karia. I saw on TV last night about a charity ride one the south coast - 100 miles; now that sounds interesting!

You are a dear.. a posse of lovely lassies will be wonderful, but it wouldn't be the ceiling that goes up!

Evening Ricco,

Your versatility in these matters astounds me!;)

Yet your style wavers..only momentarily!

Shall we share a cracker at the Org christmas dinner?..and would it be fair to limit ourselves thus and deprive someone of a righteous bang?:D

kariaxx

Ricco
01-Oct-07, 21:55
Evening Ricco,

Your versatility in these matters astounds me!

Yet your style wavers..only momentarily!

Shall we share a cracker at the Org christmas dinner?..and would it be fair to limit ourselves thus and deprive someone of a righteous bang?:D

kariaxx

Now... there is a distinct natural tendancy to read between the lines here. ;)

johno
01-Oct-07, 22:00
deprive someone of a righteous bang?:grin:
Karia you want to rephrase that.. i know, i got a mucky mind but everyone already knows that. [lol]

karia
01-Oct-07, 22:18
What kept you guys?

You are usually so quick on the uptake!

I was thinking 'tumbleweed..tumbleweed'.............where are they? ;)

karia

Tubthumper
01-Oct-07, 23:12
Evening Ricco,

at the Org christmas dinner?..

An org christmas dinner??? Where, when etc????

Ricco
02-Oct-07, 19:14
Ideally what you need is a plasterboard sheet lift with which you can simply wind the sheet up to the ceiling and is ideal for working alone.

However, if you can't hire one of these then I learned a good lesson from a true 'jack of all trades' which was to use a "dead man"!

Using some lengths of rough 2" x 2" (or bigger), cut them a bit longer than the height to the bottom of your joists. Then cut some 2' lengths and nail or screw them to the end of the long pieces to make a long 'T' - 2 of these Ts should be enough.

Unless you're 6' or thereabouts you'll need a couple of saw-horses and some scaffold boards to raise you up to a suitable height for nailing your boards to the rafters.

Now the trick is to get yourself into a good position to raise the board up on one of the Ts, when you're close just lock the T into place between floor & ceiling. Now catch hold of your other T (which you're placed close at hand!) and wedge it the same way. With care you can de-wedge one slightly, nudge the board about a bit until it's in place, then re-wedge it back up. When your board is in place then hammer home your nails or put in your screws.

It'll be tough work but you'll get a massive rush getting the first one up and, from there on it should get easier.

Good luck

Excellent advice, Bobinovitch. I'll start knocking up a couple this weekend. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks, ;)