PDA

View Full Version : food waste

cuddlepop
28-Sep-07, 17:25
I have gone into the fridge today and have thrown out.

3Bio yohurts
I cadbury's flake yohurt
1strawberry muller yohurt.
1pkt coarse cut liver and garlic pate
I large tib of potato salad
1tub of coleslaw
1pkt of mixed sald.
1 halve eatin pkt of cranberry and wedlesdale cheese.

And I moan about the money we spend on food:(

At least we have dogs and they can eat the loose meat even on its use by date everyone goes... Nooooo ta

karia
28-Sep-07, 18:13
I have gone into the fridge today and have thrown out.

3Bio yohurts
I cadbury's flake yohurt
1tub of coleslaw
1pkt of mixed sald.
1 halve eatin pkt of cranberry and wedlesdale cheese.

And I moan about the money we spend on food

At least we have dogs and they can eat the loose meat even on its use by date everyone goes... Nooooo ta

Hi Cuddlepop,

Ah yes, the fridge purge is a frequent occurrence in our house.

I was so sure we could eat it/it was too good a bargain to miss and some kind of strange belief that we DO eat 10 meals a day often conspire against me!:roll:

I don't have a dog, but happily I have a husband with a cast iron stomach and the knack of putting together the strangest meal combo's that really shouldn't work..yet somehow do.;)

You are not alone

karia

cuddlepop
28-Sep-07, 18:17
I go into the supermarkets and buy those "use by " bargains ,I've yet to learn the lesson their not flamin bargains if the end up in the bin:mad:.

wifie
28-Sep-07, 18:21
Cuddlepop and Karia I am shocked. Make a rough menu for the week (ours often goes a bit adrift) and then make a shopping list checking the cupboard, the fridge and the freezer and (this bit is important) (oops a bit like a L'Oreal ad) take the list with you when you go shopping. Sounds a bit pathetic but it works, I hardly ever waste stuff and save a bit of dosh! Tried not to make this preaching but I just hate chucking out food!

cuddlepop
28-Sep-07, 18:25
Wifie,In my previous jobs I had the art of shopping/ordering and cooking down to a fine art but I have never been able to do it at home.

I'll need to start pretending its work:lol:

karia
28-Sep-07, 18:46
Cuddlepop and Karia I am shocked. Make a rough menu for the week (ours often goes a bit adrift) and then make a shopping list checking the cupboard, the fridge and the freezer and (this bit is important) (oops a bit like a L'Oreal ad) take the list with you when you go shopping. Sounds a bit pathetic but it works, I hardly ever waste stuff and save a bit of dosh! Tried not to make this preaching but I just hate chucking out food!

Hi Wifie,

Great idea..two problems!

1) Ooh, I could really murder a *curry tonight!

2) We never have lobster* it's just too expensive, but look at that one on offer with todays date on it..never mind that we have a million things already, having seen it ONLY lobster will do!

Spontaneity!...:D

sometimes I hate knowing what's for dinner the night before!

* replace with your own cravings or luxury food items...can I suggest Asparagus with melted butter!;)

karia

footie chick
28-Sep-07, 18:46
I make a list only I leave it at home :lol: our fridge is tiny so dont seem to waste much either that or were a hungry lot :roll:

emszxr
28-Sep-07, 19:41
get a pig, thats where all our waste food and scraps go.

karia
28-Sep-07, 19:48

When I was wee, we had a 'pig bin' and all vegetable scraps went in there...it got collected with the normal rubbish.

I lived in a town,..OH who lived in Strathy cannot remember such a thing.

Was it different in the country?

karia

wifie
28-Sep-07, 22:39
Karia - I'm all for spontaneity but that is OK when I am in town. As I am a bit countrified I mostly stick to the list but I did say we sometimes went adrift. Get you lobster and asparagus! He He

Wish
28-Sep-07, 22:54
OOo heck, I was terrible for this too, but have managed to improve on it loads. When I unpack the shopping I arrange everything in order, so oldest use by dates are at the bottom, shortest on the top. If I do see bargains, I freeze them, fruit and vege get kept on view in the fridge and not in the salad draw, as I forget they are there otherwise and end up chucking them:confused

If you need a short, sharp shock into how much your wasting, write down the cost of everything you throw away, it really does mount up.

wifie
29-Sep-07, 00:49
Great idea Wish - that would be a good incentive!

JAWS
30-Sep-07, 09:45
Karia, I think there are loads of restrictions now, just like with everything else, on what you can feed to pigs, how, where and when.

Use-by dates I just use as a rough guide. Obviously if it's months out of date chuck it but otherwise check it and see. You can usually tell if something that's past it.
Sell-by and Use-by dates are usually so far on the "safe side" that a lot of perfectly safe food ends up in the bin. A lot depends on how the stuff has been stored, I'm fairly relaxed, ok careless, about the darned things and I haven't poisoned my self yet.
At least I don't think I have.

lady penelope
30-Sep-07, 09:57
When I go shopping I take real money out of the hole in the wall and stick to the amount I've taken. I have the advantage of serving on a checkout for my job so I see what rubbish:roll: bargains people buy just because they are on offer or reduced! Don't buy what you don't need.
I also limit the packaging and only have 1 black bag of rubbish in my bin per week. The rest is recycled or composted:)

wifie
30-Sep-07, 10:27
Well done lady P (mind you thought Parker would have done your shopping)! I had forgotten that other advantage as we too hardly ever even half fill our bin!

lady penelope
30-Sep-07, 10:29
Parker is always at work!

wifie
30-Sep-07, 10:36
LOL Lady P - good one!

diddi
02-Oct-07, 11:28

That is a major no no now, there are a number of regulations that don't allow this, as it was thought that the Food and Mouth outbreak in 2001 was a result of infected food waste ding fed to pigs, so I hope you stop doing this before you get found out.

cat
02-Oct-07, 12:46
hi

i'm not too bad at buying things i wont use, but has anyone else noticed that the dates on things aren't very long in tescos?
i like to go shopping once a week and its not easy to do that there.

northener
02-Oct-07, 14:59
That is a major no no now, there are a number of regulations that don't allow this, as it was thought that the Food and Mouth outbreak in 2001 was a result of infected food waste ding fed to pigs, so I hope you stop doing this before you get found out.

Diddi,

Where did you get this information from?

Sounds very suspect to me, I'm not aware if any restrictions on feeding your own pigs your own non-meat food waste.

BSE was caused by feeding meat to cattle, not sure FMD is spread by ingestion. I stand to be corrected on this, of course.

"have gone into the fridge today and have thrown out.

3Bio yohurts
I cadbury's flake yohurt
1tub of coleslaw
1pkt of mixed sald.
1 halve eatin pkt of cranberry and wedlesdale cheese."

Cuddlepop, there was no need to throw any of this out.

You could have pushed it all through my letterbox and I would have gladly eaten it all for you.

telfordstar
02-Oct-07, 15:59
I find that when i go shopping its the bogof offers that seem to be such a good idea or the "on offer" deals i really need to start to write out a list and REMEMBER to take it with me.

Im also the type that if i need milk i cant seem to go into a shop and just buy milk something else always catches my eye another thing i do not need. Am i the only one who is like this???

cuddlepop
02-Oct-07, 16:14
I find that when i go shopping its the bogof offers that seem to be such a good idea or the "on offer" deals i really need to start to write out a list and REMEMBER to take it with me.

Im also the type that if i need milk i cant seem to go into a shop and just buy milk something else always catches my eye another thing i do not need. Am i the only one who is like this???
I do exactly the same.
Went on for big pkt of dog mixer today and came out with three cans of ginger beer aswell.

Maybe the answere is just to take the right money.

Using your switch card is the worst culprit.Its so easy just to swipe .... and in my case Bin.:lol:

karia
02-Oct-07, 17:55
Hi Folks,

Todays confession from the aisles of Morrisons

3 gigantic trout fillets 59p each (from 3.85 each)

Two large avacado's 25p the pair

Two medium mango's 29p the pair

A pack of fresh garlic and coriander pasta 1/s price at 50p

I only went in for 2 bottles of mineral water and a 4pk of wholemeal baps!:eek:

......oops!;)

Karia

telfordstar
02-Oct-07, 18:08
Im so gald its not just me who cant resist picking up extras when just popping in for milk or bread. Your right the debit/credit cards are way to handy maybe we should take exact money in with us and leave the cards in the car.:lol:

karia
02-Oct-07, 18:11
Im so gald its not just me who cant resist picking up extras when just popping in for milk or bread. Your right the debit/credit cards are way to handy maybe we should take exact money in with us and leave the cards in the car.:lol:

Hi telfordstar,

In my case I would need to leave me in the car!;)

Karia

lady penelope
02-Oct-07, 18:47

Half of Wick seem to spend far more than they need to!

Retailers are very clever and some even employ designers to decide what to put where for maximum retail spending! :eek:

telfordstar
02-Oct-07, 18:56
Hi telfordstar,

In my case I would need to leave me in the car!;)

Karia

hi Kiara

maybe i should put my hubby in hes worse than scrodge he would definatly just come out with what was needed and nothing else. But your right supermaket chains know how to get the maximum pennies out of us shoppers:mad:

cuddlepop
02-Oct-07, 20:00
Right ladies
I'm in agreement with you my OH only buy's whats on a list when he goes shopping maybe its time to reverse the roles and they go shopping and we put our feet up.:lol:

telfordstar
02-Oct-07, 21:32
Right ladies
I'm in agreement with you my OH only buy's whats on a list when he goes shopping maybe its time to reverse the roles and they go shopping and we put our feet up.:lol:

now that sounds like a good idea to me cuddlepop OH/hubby out shopping and me on couch remote in one hand and a cuppa in the other sounds like bliss to me:D

Angela
03-Oct-07, 11:14
Cuddlepop...I never stick rigidly to the dates on things like yoghurt - I just open them and see what they look and smell like...which saves thowing a lot of stuff away. I've not poisoned myself yet! ;)
My new fridge is a lot smaller than the old one - it's taken quite a bit of getting used to, but has turned out to be a good thing as I buy less fresh food at any one time now.
I'm cautious about how much I put into the salad drawer as well -saves having to deal with that puddle of strange green gunge I used to find in the bottom....which I suppose must once have been a lettuce/cucumber/green pepper/courgette....:eek:

cuddlepop
03-Oct-07, 11:51
Cuddlepop...I never stick rigidly to the dates on things like yoghurt - I just open them and see what they look and smell like...which saves thowing a lot of stuff away. I've not poisoned myself yet! ;)
My new fridge is a lot smaller than the old one - it's taken quite a bit of getting used to, but has turned out to be a good thing as I buy less fresh food at any one time now.
I'm cautious about how much I put into the salad drawer as well -saves having to deal with that puddle of strange green gunge I used to find in the bottom....which I suppose must once have been a lettuce/cucumber/green pepper/courgette....:eek:
When our fridge freezer broke down we had to use an old table top fridge.
It does work there is no waste it's just I was at the shop's every day and the special offers were so tempting.
Its amazing what'll freeze lol

diddi
12-Oct-07, 10:33
Diddi,

Where did you get this information from?

Sounds very suspect to me, I'm not aware if any restrictions on feeding your own pigs your own non-meat food waste.

BSE was caused by feeding meat to cattle, not sure FMD is spread by ingestion. I stand to be corrected on this, of course.

"have gone into the fridge today and have thrown out.

3Bio yohurts
I cadbury's flake yohurt
1tub of coleslaw
1pkt of mixed sald.
1 halve eatin pkt of cranberry and wedlesdale cheese."

Cuddlepop, there was no need to throw any of this out.

You could have pushed it all through my letterbox and I would have gladly eaten it all for you.

Its under the Animal By-Products regulations, its very complicated, there is nothing to stop you buying vegetables to feed to pigs as long as they don't share the same airspace as meat products, sounds silly but thats legislation for you.

Its safer not to do it as if you get caught its a hefty fine.

benji
19-Oct-07, 13:28
Rather than throw out waste to create a smell wheely get one of these:

www.greencone.com

They use little bugs that breakdown the food to virtually nothing. One of the mian bonses is that the green cone will take cooked and uncooked waste. They mean that my bins don't smell anymore and our household waste being trucked away has reduced too!

cuddlepop
19-Oct-07, 15:08
Rather than throw out waste to create a smell wheely get one of these:

www.greencone.com (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.greencone.com)

They use little bugs that breakdown the food to virtually nothing. One of the mian bonses is that the green cone will take cooked and uncooked waste. They mean that my bins don't smell anymore and our household waste being trucked away has reduced too!

Thats a good idea but at £80 its out of our price range just now.

Just need to stop wasting money on bargains and save up the housekeeping money but then I'd have no waste to recycle as the dogs eat almost anything.:lol: