PDA

View Full Version : Is the private message system subject to any rules?

scorrie
28-Sep-07, 13:15
I have had a couple of unpleasant PM's from a certain user. I replied to the first one without dragging myself down to their level but I have not replied to the second one as it would probably get out of hand, given the other person's personal assault on my character.

I wanted to know whether there was any restriction on what could be said via PM on this site?

I use PM as if I were posting to the forum itself, in terms of what I would consider appropriate to say, it is clear that some people use it to say things they would be unlikely to post on the org itself.

I seem to have ruffled a few feathers on this forum. I am well aware that there will always be people who simply don't like the cut of your jib but right now there seems to be several users who make me feel about as welcome as a jobbie in a jacuzzi. I don't mind discussing that situation with anyone who feels the need to express what they find offensive but I DO object to a personal attack on my character, using childish speculation, when someone hasn't got the guts to post their comments here, so that people can see the way THEIR mind works.

ps To my PM "sparring partner" :-

Keeping my tongue in cheek, actually makes it less likely that I will choke on it, rather than the reverse!!

crashbandicoot1979
28-Sep-07, 13:22
I'm sure you can report them to admin if they're unpleasant. Not sure what they do about it though.

How pathetic that people feel the need to stoop that low!

Thumper
28-Sep-07, 13:40
IMO pm's are for exactly what they say...a private message BUT the message should not be nasty or threatening in any way.I use pm's regularly for a "bit of banter" that would not be taken in any way but a bit of fun,if you have been sent a pm that is clearly not "friendly" I would think that the moderators would want to know about it.We have all said things that may or may not annoy others but for somebody to send you a pm that has made you feel this way it should be dealt with...I think you can actually block people and their pm's, haven't checked it out but I am sure I remember something along that lines x

johno
28-Sep-07, 13:52
yes you can block them & you can report them to admin if you wish to.

scotsboy
28-Sep-07, 14:20
Totally out of order that Scorrie, needs to be reported to admin. We all have opinions, just becaase you do not agree with someone else does not mean you have to get personal about it. Jeez ohh the World would be a boring place if we all said and thought the same.

I personally would name and shame them.........but that is just me.

golach
28-Sep-07, 14:27
check the Caithness.Org rules on pm's

Private Message System
All users have the ability to send Private Messages (PMs) to each other, if you have any concerns about PMs that you receive please contact the Administrator, give brief details of your concerns and also include

Your Username (if sent via email, not required if you use the forum)
User that sent the PM
Date and Time on the message

scorrie
28-Sep-07, 14:38
Thanks to all for their information.