PDA

View Full Version : Is CCWS running slow?

golach
27-Sep-07, 16:11
Is it just me or has there been problems with Caithness.Org, I have been finding it hard to log on these last few days, keep getting timed out.
And the message boards are running even slower?
Just wondering if I am the only one experiencing these problems?

Mizpah
27-Sep-07, 16:19
No you are not the only one it has been dodgy the last few days but today it is very bad to get logged on at times.:roll:

NickInTheNorth
27-Sep-07, 16:19
Is it just me or has there been problems with Caithness.Org, I have been finding it hard to log on these last few days, keep getting timed out.
And the message boards are running even slower?
Just wondering if I am the only one experiencing these problems?

exactly same problems here. Taking a long time to load if it ever does. Very annoying!

ashaw1
27-Sep-07, 16:20
I have found this too. Glad it's not my computer on the blink ( again)!

Angela
27-Sep-07, 16:29
Me too.....it keeps vanishing ......and when it is here, it is SOOOOOOOOO slow...:(:confused....

nanoo
27-Sep-07, 16:33
guys and gals, thanks very much, this is the first day this week that i've had any problems. Logging in was okay but waiting for pages to load is the bugbear 3 minutes and 47 seconds i counted out once. Still i'm glad to know i'm not the only one. Hope it will be back to normal rather sooner than later. :~(

Anne x
27-Sep-07, 16:36
Same problem here !!! Thought it was me that was running slow !!!![lol]

cuddlepop
27-Sep-07, 16:38
About 1pm this afternoon I was the only one logged on....thought you'd all gone away and left me.:(

Now I know you just weren't the chosen one and weren't gettin on.;)

johno
27-Sep-07, 16:38
yep, the site is slow today. got timed out myself. just went to the other site to kill time.

bekisman
27-Sep-07, 17:18
me too (phone line fixed) can get BBC and any other website almost instantly, but CCWS is V E R Y S L O W recently..

nicnak
27-Sep-07, 17:46
Mine too so pleased to hear other folks having probs i thought it was the computer I was using , so many folks use this one I cant keep track of who's been on what! so thought it had perhaps got a virus or some sort of other prob!

floyed
27-Sep-07, 17:57
Ive found it very slow the last couple of days to. Today has been the worst, it was taking so long earlier that i logged off.

brokencross
27-Sep-07, 18:06
Couldn't get on at all this afternoon "this page cannot be displayed" message kept coming up.

golach
28-Sep-07, 10:19
Still having difficulties, I am suffering with withdrawl symptoms, I am having to resort the chatting to Mrs G[lol]

Angela
28-Sep-07, 10:23
Ive logged on no trouble this morning.....but I can't get on to msn...and am currently chatting to myself...! [lol]
Is this a sign of madness??? :confused

Lolabelle
28-Sep-07, 11:01
Ive logged on no trouble this morning.....but I can't get on to msn...and am currently chatting to myself...! [lol]
Is this a sign of madness??? :confused

No Angela, I find myself in the chat room and on msn lots chatting to myself. I just thought no one loves me.
But the org has been a bit ordinary, though only today that I've noticed. I got kicked out of the chat room and then couldn't get back onto the org at all.

Angela
28-Sep-07, 11:15
No Angela, I find myself in the chat room and on msn lots chatting to myself. I just thought no one loves me.
But the org has been a bit ordinary, though only today that I've noticed. I got kicked out of the chat room and then couldn't get back onto the org at all.

Ah, but Lolabelle, I can chat to myself anywhere!
So far I've not replied to myself.....I suppose that would be more alarming!:eek: :roll:

bluelady
29-Sep-07, 18:03
it keeps slowing up and timing out, it must be e busy periods

helenwyler
29-Sep-07, 18:17
Same here bluelady:eek:. It crashed right in the middle of a post, twice!!

Hope it wasn't personal:lol:!!

anneoctober
29-Sep-07, 18:21
I'm having more probs today, the thing wont let me log out (in disgust) so it looks like I'm here when I'm not! (having small tantrums at 30 min intervals!) Has n't helped ofcourse - the tantrums - who's cage do we rattle?? :mad:[disgust]

Bobinovich
29-Sep-07, 19:11
I think the problems we're experiencing are because its success - i.e. increased visitor numbers slowing the system down.

I believe that an upgrade is overdue but that restraints (mostly of time and maybe a bit of finance) could well be the reasons behind the delay.

In the meantime we'll just have to ride the storm...

cuddlepop
29-Sep-07, 20:39
It is painfully slow,almost at the giving up stage.
The website is quickly becoming a victim of its own success.:~(

Anne x
29-Sep-07, 21:37
I'm having more probs today, the thing wont let me log out (in disgust) so it looks like I'm here when I'm not! (having small tantrums at 30 min intervals!) Has n't helped ofcourse - the tantrums - who's cage do we rattle?? :mad:[disgust]

exactly the same anneoctober Im here when Im not actually here !!! and when I am cannot log on !!! odd

karia
29-Sep-07, 21:49
Would be nice to hear from those in the Know!

can be very frustrating and part of that is not having it acknowledged.

if someone said..look guys ..this is how it is and we are doing our utmost to fix it,.bear with us..we value your support.......

..I am guessing that we would be happy to be patient.

OR

...we don't give a toss what you think.. are happy to mess you around without explanation and KNOW that you have no choice in the matter...!

I am sure that we are part of the first..so would someone tell us what is going on?

karia

golach
29-Sep-07, 21:54
Would be nice to hear from those in the Know!

OR
...we don't give a toss what you think.. are happy to mess you around without explanation and KNOW that you have no choice in the matter...!
karia
Bobinovich, has let you know what the problem is, the success of the .Org and its popularity, the problem is being addressed, I do not think your conception of the Admin i.e. the "We dont give a toss" is a very good one[disgust]

Murchiemannie
29-Sep-07, 22:09
I've also been having problems trying to log on for the past few days. So frustrating having to wait for a connection especially when I've little or no patience! Grrr.so I'm glad it's seems to be sorted now.:roll:

karia
29-Sep-07, 22:37
Bobinovich, has let you know what the problem is, the success of the .Org and its popularity, the problem is being addressed, I do not think your conception of the Admin i.e. the "We dont give a toss" is a very good one[disgust]

golach,

There appear to be around 160 members and guests on line, are you seriously suggesting that this is too much for the Org to cope with?

Karia

golach
29-Sep-07, 22:43
golach,
There appear to be around 160 members and guests on line, are you seriously suggesting that this is too much for the Org to cope with?
Karia
Karia, I am not getting into a slanging match, Bobinovitch is a Moderator and is nearer the Admin, that you or I, and therefore I accept his word, and bow to his knowledge as he is a computer techy in real life.
The Message Boards are not the only part of the CCWS that visitors use

karia
29-Sep-07, 22:54
Karia, I am not getting into a slanging match, Bobinovitch is a Moderator and is nearer the Admin, that you or I, and therefore I accept his word, and bow to his knowledge as he is a computer techy in real life.
The Message Boards are not the only part of the CCWS that visitors use

and very good it was to hear from someone in admin after days of frustration .

We have finally had the problem acknowledged ...after experiencing it ad infinitum and worrying about the possible problems with our own pc's.

Slanging match...about what?:confused

Bobivinovitch recognised a problem and responded to it....much respect to him as always!

karia

Lolabelle
29-Sep-07, 23:36
Is it all better now??? I dropped out last night, Sat daytime for you guys, and then couldn't get back in for hours, well I gave up at about 1am. Anyway, I hope it's better. But as for the problem being caused by lots of visitors etc, I was in the chat room the other day quite early in the morning with only one or two others on the boards and it was doing the same, so I don't think that was congestion. Not that I understand anything about technical stuff, and so wouldn't presume to say what was the cause. Just letting someone, anyone know that it was happening when there was hardly anyone about... :confused

Bobinovich
29-Sep-07, 23:52
Please don't take my comments as verbatim - I did say think and believe in my post and don't want anyone to take those comments as being a definitive answer. As Lolabelle has mentioned, there have also been problems during the quietest periods so there may well be other reasons.

New hardware was discussed a while back but I'm not sure of the current timescale.

I for one will just keep trying, regardless of how annoying it can become.

JAWS
30-Sep-07, 08:50
I don't know if there is any connection but for the last few days I've seen BT up and down the A99 poking round in various junction boxes.
On one occassion I lost the web completely for several hours and also a couple of other times for short periods. .

Bill Fernie
30-Sep-07, 09:50
The problem is not just the huge traffic that Caithness.org generates but also our other web sites and the 3000 or so other web sites that are on the same server as us with the company that hosts our sites.

We have known for along time that the site slowed down at certain times and there is an answer. Buy space on our own dedicated server. The only problem is that it is much more expensive. We already pay an increased amount due to both the size of the web site and the bandwidth increases over the years as the site has become more popular. The heavier the usage and depending on what is happening on the other web sites also on the same server as us will tend to make it slow down.

I have much less time these days than I used to so do not alwasy see it when it is slow. Niall has another job now so we are doing it on a very part-time basis.

So the forum is not the problem and the answer would be to move over to a server dedicated to only our own web sites. Things would improve I am pretty sure dramatically. This will be done once we can move into a better position financially to cover the £1200 or so per annum cost.

Of course other things can also affect the speed of the site and unfortunately most of it is beyond our control.

scorrie
30-Sep-07, 15:50
Perhaps it might be an idea to try to raise some funds via the Community. It is a community website and I don't think it is unfair to expect those of us who use, and enjoy, the site to help the owners make the site perform more effectively. I am sure many of us would miss it, if it were not here.

KCI
30-Sep-07, 17:53
Perhaps it might be an idea to try to raise some funds via the Community. It is a community website and I don't think it is unfair to expect those of us who use, and enjoy, the site to help the owners make the site perform more effectively. I am sure many of us would miss it, if it were not here.

I agree. It's quite common now for websites to raise funds from the people who use the site. I used to visit a website, and they had the same problem, so they asked if anyone would be interested in becoming a member of the forum. We paid £5 a year, which doesn't sound like much, but it certainly adds up if everyone is interested. They had a Private Members Forum, and other perks for members. It does get expensive to run a website, so maybe we should be trying to help, if we can. We all use the site, so why not help in some way to keep it running.

Torvaig
30-Sep-07, 22:40
Hear, hear; good idea!

Lolabelle
01-Oct-07, 07:31
I'd be happy to contribute, just tell me how??? :D

Ricco
01-Oct-07, 21:51
I also would be happy to contribute. £5 per annum (let's say) is nothing to worry about (two pints, maybe?) for the opportunity to spend quality time with my orger friends.

Metalattakk
01-Oct-07, 23:11

I agree that funding should be sought (if the current advertising does not stretch far enough) but as the website serves the community, it should be community organisations that are 'tapped up' for funds first.

Plenty of businesses are listed in the Business Index for free, for example. Time to stump up, I think.

Or how about TTIA, whose events are always highlighted strongly?

I'd also go (yes, cap in hand if needs be) to CASE or whatever they are called these days, for funding. After all, caithness.org does a fair bit for Caithness and generating interest in the area.

Asking the users (or even the relatively small section of users that frequent the forums) for funds should be the absolute last resort.

cuddlepop
02-Oct-07, 11:02
This website is a good advert for Caithness and maybe now is the time for asking the user's for a nominal fee when advertising for sale item's etc.

Other sources of income have to be sought sooner rather tham later.:eek: