PDA

View Full Version : Meiklejohns Tearooms

ashaw1
26-Sep-07, 16:26
Was surprised to see today that Meiklejohns Tearooms in Wick has closed down. I don't remember seeing any notices saying it was closing they were advertising for staff a few weeks ago. The shop has been emptied and a To Let/For Sale sign in the window. I always thought it was a little goldmine with the school kids using it at lunchtime. So sad to see another local business close.

telfordstar
26-Sep-07, 17:33
Was surprised to see today that Meiklejohns Tearooms in Wick has closed down. I don't remember seeing any notices saying it was closing they were advertising for staff a few weeks ago. The shop has been emptied and a To Let/For Sale sign in the window. I always thought it was a little goldmine with the school kids using it at lunchtime. So sad to see another local business close.

i noticed that as well eh day when me and the hubby drove past shocked wasna the word i always thought it was a busy cafe but when i went into thomases in dempster street he said they werna busy and thats why its closed down its a shame was a nice and clean cafe very friendly.

However had a bad experience in the harbour cafe yesterday went with a friend for a coffee and a bite to eat and was aked by the owner how to make it then gave it to us half raw(bacon by the way) and walked away when we said we wernt happy with it wont be going bk there again thats for sure:(

johno
26-Sep-07, 18:17
i noticed that as well eh day when me and the hubby drove past shocked wasna the word i always thought it was a busy cafe but when i went into thomases in dempster street he said they werna busy and thats why its closed down its a shame was a nice and clean cafe very friendly.

However had a bad experience in the harbour cafe yesterday went with a friend for a coffee and a bite to eat and was aked by the owner how to make it then gave it to us half raw(bacon by the way) and walked away when we said we wernt happy with it wont be going bk there again thats for sure:(
The harbour cafe has been on a downward slope since it was taken over by the new owners. Strange that both Meicklejohns & the Harbour cafe flourished under the previous owner. :roll:

burstbucker
26-Sep-07, 18:46
I heard that the harbour cafe has been sold and is about to get new owners soon.

Ash
26-Sep-07, 18:49
i find the harbour cafe so so dirty its disgusting:eek:

connieb19
26-Sep-07, 18:51
i find the harbour cafe so so dirty its disgusting:eek:You're not wrong there, it's foosum. :eek:

Ash
26-Sep-07, 18:55
used to go there sometimes when i was little and never noticed, went there last summer and it was disgusting!

telfordstar
26-Sep-07, 19:21
i did hear that as well hat it was sold and that the woman who runs the scottish slimmers was going to be the cook in it just rummer mind!!

you are right it is a pretty discusting cafe i certinly wont be going back and after looking at that bacon on my roll it has kind of put me off bacon just now it practically oinked at me it was that raw. i used to work there bout 6 years ago and it was always busy and we were always cleaning and was proper home cooked meals ie the macaroni cheese andlasagna and all the soups were fresh and homemade now you go past and its always empty or maybe just one or two on it its shocking how changing hands can make such a difference.

botheed
26-Sep-07, 19:30
i did hear that as well hat it was sold and that the woman who runs the scottish slimmers was going to be the cook in it just rummer mind!!

you are right it is a pretty discusting cafe i certinly wont be going back and after looking at that bacon on my roll it has kind of put me off bacon just now it practically oinked at me it was that raw. i used to work there bout 6 years ago and it was always busy and we were always cleaning and was proper home cooked meals ie the macaroni cheese andlasagna and all the soups were fresh and homemade now you go past and its always empty or maybe just one or two on it its shocking how changing hands can make such a difference.i hope this new cook just disna do rabbit food, i must say that i do enjoy the food in the harbour cafe, well priced friendly folkes seems to me that some posters on this thread are looking for a five star experience at a local cafe:eek:

Ash
26-Sep-07, 19:36
i hope this new cook just disna do rabbit food, i must say that i do enjoy the food in the harbour cafe, well priced friendly folkes seems to me that some posters on this thread are looking for a five star experience at a local cafe:eek:

no not 5 star food, just for it to be clean! surely its meant to be clean:confused

telfordstar
26-Sep-07, 19:49
i hope this new cook just disna do rabbit food, i must say that i do enjoy the food in the harbour cafe, well priced friendly folkes seems to me that some posters on this thread are looking for a five star experience at a local cafe:eek:

id hardly say that botheed but some people do need the rabbit food:lol:

telfordstar
26-Sep-07, 19:51
no not 5 star food, just for it to be clean! surely its meant to be clean:confused

totally agree with you there ash and properly cooked food as well good job i didnt order chicken thats all i can say. theres no excuse for it not being clean.

Dadie
26-Sep-07, 20:02
I think it could do with a good clean and mebe a refurb.. new tables and chairs some paint (inside and out), floor tiles, counter needs looked at too if its nice and sparkly inside and they get decent staff (that know how to cook) it may be a good place to go but it looks grotty at the mo!

telfordstar
26-Sep-07, 20:06
I think it could do with a good clean and mebe a refurb.. new tables and chairs some paint (inside and out), floor tiles, counter needs looked at too if its nice and sparkly inside and they get decent staff (that know how to cook) it may be a good place to go but it looks grotty at the mo!

think your dead right there maybe if it is gettin taken over the new owners should close for a wee while and give it a good clean and a lick of paint and a whole new menu draw everyone back in

angela5
26-Sep-07, 20:23
think your dead right there maybe if it is gettin taken over the new owners should close for a wee while and give it a good clean and a lick of paint and a whole new menu draw everyone back in

I did hear it has been sold and the new owners plan to close the sweet shop side and turn it into a cafe for the workmen.
I stopped going there about 5 years ago, i was sick of getting dirty cups!
The place has been filthy for years.

connieb19
26-Sep-07, 20:26
i was sick of getting dirty cups!Those workmen should be washing their hands but thats what you get for sitting about all day in crubby cafes in your bra. :eek:

Moira
26-Sep-07, 21:45
What Connie? I'm sure you wash your hands so.....I'm assuming the workmen sit in there all day wearing bras :eek: Next time I drive along the harbour it will be "Eyes Right" - driving from the Firestation end of course :D

angela5
26-Sep-07, 21:57
Those workmen should be washing their hands but thats what you get for sitting about all day in crubby cafes in your bra. :eek:

Least i can keep mine on.;)

connieb19
26-Sep-07, 21:57
What Connie? I'm sure you wash your hands so.....I'm assuming the workmen sit in there all day wearing bras :eek: Next time I drive along the harbour it will be "Eyes Right" - driving from the Firestation end of course
We could go a walk down some night Moira, Hyacinth Bucket and Hilda Ogden teetin in the cafe windows before ooglin at the firemen. :eek: I'm off to put ma rollers in.

connieb19
26-Sep-07, 22:00
Least i can keep mine on.;)You would need to, they must get in the way dangling about beside your knees when you take it off. :lol:

DeHaviLand
26-Sep-07, 22:11

you are right it is a pretty discusting cafe i certinly wont be going back and after looking at that bacon on my roll it has kind of put me off bacon just now it practically oinked at me it was that raw. i used to work there bout 6 years ago and it was always busy and we were always cleaning and was proper home cooked meals ie the macaroni cheese andlasagna and all the soups were fresh and homemade now you go past and its always empty or maybe just one or two on it its shocking how changing hands can make such a difference.

You wouldnt want what i got out the harbour cafe this time last year!!! I lost 3 stone in 3 weeks thanks to them, very painful. Needless to say, I havent been near it since.

connieb19
26-Sep-07, 22:17
You wouldnt want what i got out the harbour cafe this time last year!!! I lost 3 stone in 3 weeks thanks to them, very painful. Needless to say, I havent been near it since.I bet the one from weightwatchers canna beat that? :eek:

telfordstar
26-Sep-07, 22:28
You wouldnt want what i got out the harbour cafe this time last year!!! I lost 3 stone in 3 weeks thanks to them, very painful. Needless to say, I havent been near it since.

oh my goodness what happened DeHaviLand

Margaret M.
26-Sep-07, 23:53
The place is totally disgusting. I ate there one time and I felt like I needed a shower when I left. It's in a great location and has so much potential. I think that the area needs a restaurant that offers different salads, wraps and some healthier options -- rabbit food as you call it.

DeHaviLand
26-Sep-07, 23:57
I got a particularly nasty bout of food poisoning from a plate of mince and tatties. Mince apparently had been left out and hadn't been heated thoroughly. Damn I hate hospitals.

Anyway, I may go back. I put the weight back on and could do with losing it again :roll:

Anne x
27-Sep-07, 00:08
I got a particularly nasty bout of food poisoning from a plate of mince and tatties. Mince apparently had been left out and hadn't been heated thoroughly. Damn I hate hospitals.

Anyway, I may go back. I put the weight back on and could do with losing it again :roll:

thought the thread was about meiklejons cafe no dooon the harbour

DeHaviLand
27-Sep-07, 00:12
And you're blaming me for hijacking it?

Margaret M.
27-Sep-07, 00:18
Threads always wander off in different directions. The discussion is still restaurant related so I fail to see the problem.

zappster
27-Sep-07, 06:36
Meiklejohns was leased out & there was a fallout with the owner

ber219
27-Sep-07, 11:00
So someone tell me this....if the Harbour Cafe is this bad how does it stay open. Would it not have been shut down by the authorities now?

johno
27-Sep-07, 12:01
So someone tell me this....if the Harbour Cafe is this bad how does it stay open. Would it not have been shut down by the authorities now?
valid point that. :cool:

telfordstar
27-Sep-07, 12:16

maybe the authorities havnt been in im guessing that if they had there would be a closed sign on the door by now maybe thats why its still open heres hoping it has been bought over and get a major refurb done to it that it so desperatly needs and nice friendly staff and a cook who knows how to cook and not have to as the customer how to cook it!!!!!!

nikki
27-Sep-07, 14:01
its not just the grubbyness that annoys me though. if you go into the shop they just stand there behind the counter, staring at you like your crazy going to a shop to buy things, except from 1 local lassie ive met in there. im surprised anyone goes in there.

telfordstar
27-Sep-07, 14:15
[quote=DeHaviLand;276352]I got a particularly nasty bout of food poisoning from a plate of mince and tatties. Mince apparently had been left out and hadn't been heated thoroughly. Damn I hate hospitals.

oh that sounds nasty bet you that put you of mince and tatties for life little wonder you didnt go back

floyed
27-Sep-07, 14:30
I just started working in mekiljohn's 3 weeks ago, worked for 7 days and then was told they were to close. It did not shut due to no customers as it was busy over lunch time and doing well. Its a real shame as i enjoyed my time there now we all have to find new jobs

telfordstar
27-Sep-07, 14:34
I just started working in mekiljohn's 3 weeks ago, worked for 7 days and then was told they were to close. It did not shut due to no customers as it was busy over lunch time and doing well. Its a real shame as i enjoyed my time there now we all have to find new jobs

did wonder it was always a popular place for school kids and seemed busy the few times i was in it its a shame was a nice cafe

BRIE
27-Sep-07, 16:32

Dont think the owners anticipated on closing so soon hence the short notice of you losing your jobs.
Its a shame for the school kids that its closed as there was alot that took advantage of their lunch time specials.
I hope the staff are successful in finding future employment.

Cattach
27-Sep-07, 17:12

Just notuiced this thread! Not surprised it closed and I do not think it was very busy recently outwith school lunch times. I used to go regularly under the previous ownership and it was excellent. Only went twice under the present owners and it was empty of customers, the service was poor, the baking nothing like it used to be and the tables not really cleaned up. Pity because I though it was a good coffee shop and offered good snacks under the previous iwnership.

floyed
27-Sep-07, 17:26
Dont think the owners anticipated on closing so soon hence the short notice of you losing your jobs.
Its a shame for the school kids that its closed as there was alot that took advantage of their lunch time specials.
I hope the staff are successful in finding future employment.

I no it was not anticipated, there was nothing my boss could of done its just one of those thing's. I am sure we will have another jobs in no time.

telfordstar
27-Sep-07, 17:30
its such a shame there seems to be more and more shops/cafes closing down all the time

floyed
27-Sep-07, 17:34
Just notuiced this thread! Not surprised it closed and I do not think it was very busy recently outwith school lunch times. I used to go regularly under the previous ownership and it was excellent. Only went twice under the present owners and it was empty of customers, the service was poor, the baking nothing like it used to be and the tables not really cleaned up. Pity because I though it was a good coffee shop and offered good snacks under the previous iwnership.

I worked there with the old owners, and with the new owners. I feel it was just as busy as it always was. You only went twice with the new owners, so how you no it wasn't as busy i have no idea.

George Brims
27-Sep-07, 19:49
I'm sad to hear that place is closed. When we visit it's to take my mum out in her wheelchair, and there are few places we can take her that have easy access. I had better warn my sister before she goes up next. No sense half killing my brother-in-law pushing her up that hill for nothing!

Fran
28-Sep-07, 02:46
The harbour cafe is going to be a bistro and the little shop next door will be a cafe

telfordstar
28-Sep-07, 14:43
The harbour cafe is going to be a bistro and the little shop next door will be a cafe

sounds good is this for definate or just another rumer going around:D

BRIE
28-Sep-07, 16:06

have to agree with floyed on this.
The cafe was just as busy as usual.every cafe in the town has a quite period after the lunchtime rush.
all I can say Cattach is you must of caught them on a bad day! The menu hadnt changed from the previous ownership except they always had a daily special on & they now had a very affordable kids menu.The baking was still made by the same person who baked for the previous owners too.

mccaugm
28-Sep-07, 16:20
maybe the authorities havnt been in im guessing that if they had there would be a closed sign on the door by now maybe thats why its still open heres hoping it has been bought over and get a major refurb done to it that it so desperatly needs and nice friendly staff and a cook who knows how to cook and not have to as the customer how to cook it!!!!!!

Maybe the people who checked it out are recovering from food poisoning. ( Never been there bar getting an ice cream from the shop next door). Have to say it never looked very appealing from the outside.

trix
30-Sep-07, 09:55
aye, i hev til agree wi ye too floyed. i lekt e grub wi both owners. i never hed a bad denner oot o ayre.
its a shame its closed. one o ma best pals worked there ;) and she is gutted. im sorry for her, she loved her job but she's a guid worker so she will get something else soon.
i kwite often go there for lunch wi ma pals an ma grany really leks it too.

as for e harbour cafe, i avoid it when i can. no only is it mingin but e owner gies me e creeps, he keeps askin for ma fone number :mad: just wilna take no for an answer - yuk!! id never eit oot o ayre.
i came off o niteshift iss mornin and hed til wait til efter 9 til get e sunday papers!! efter 9!!
george alec wis up at e crack o dawn sortin oot papers an cleanin. come back george, all is forgiven...

telfordstar
30-Sep-07, 18:26
aye, i hev til agree wi ye too floyed. i lekt e grub wi both owners. i never hed a bad denner oot o ayre.
its a shame its closed. one o ma best pals worked there ;) and she is gutted. im sorry for her, she loved her job but she's a guid worker so she will get something else soon.
i kwite often go there for lunch wi ma pals an ma grany really leks it too.

as for e harbour cafe, i avoid it when i can. no only is it mingin but e owner gies me e creeps, he keeps askin for ma fone number :mad: just wilna take no for an answer - yuk!! id never eit oot o ayre.
i came off o niteshift iss mornin and hed til wait til efter 9 til get e sunday papers!! efter 9!!
george alec wis up at e crack o dawn sortin oot papers an cleanin. come back george, all is forgiven...

omg imagine him asking for your number like that how creepy is that little wonder you avoid it

connieb19
30-Sep-07, 18:30
omg imagine him asking for your number like that how creepy is that little wonder you avoid itYou should see him too, he's no exactly what you would call a bonny boy. :eek:

DeHaviLand
30-Sep-07, 18:38
You should see him too, he's no exactly what you would call a bonny boy. :eek:

That'll be why he has to ask for phone numbers, rather than the lasses just volunteering it ;)

telfordstar
30-Sep-07, 20:39
You should see him too, he's no exactly what you would call a bonny boy. :eek:

oh i think i know which one your on about very weird hair:D

northener
30-Sep-07, 20:43
Well, luckily, I am a very bonny boy myself so i would never hassle anyone for their phone number.

But if any girls out there would like to send me their phone numbers - Id be very grateful.

Not that I'm desperate or anything - oh no, not at all, no way.....honest.

telfordstar
30-Sep-07, 21:17
Well, luckily, I am a very bonny boy myself so i would never hassle anyone for their phone number.

But if any girls out there would like to send me their phone numbers - Id be very grateful.

Not that I'm desperate or anything - oh no, not at all, no way.....honest.

hahahaha good one:lol::lol:

Tom Cornwall
01-Oct-07, 09:16
we were up in September, and the cafe was open. there were customers in and there was nothing wrong with the service. it was perfectly ok.