PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Dounreay?

ecb
26-Sep-07, 11:02
There is an article in today's "Scotsman", titled "Fancy a night in the Hotel Dounreay?" :

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1537602007

about future plans for Dounreay, some quite amusing comments have been added.

Whitewater
26-Sep-07, 13:59
Many people have been under the impression (wrongly I must add) that it became a hotel many years ago.

the nomad
26-Sep-07, 16:59
Many people have been under the impression (wrongly I must add) that it became a hotel many years ago.

That was a bit cruel and quite untrue, having worked at Dounreay for 26 years (now left) it was more like a holiday camp to some.

Believe it or not Dounreay employees it isn't normal for employers to provide you a cooked breakfast which you eat at your leisure, a 15 min smoke break every hour is not the norm, most staff have to walk from car parks in the rain and wind, employers do not have a duty to provide outdoor clothing for personal use, work outside is not always done in sunshine, contractors do actually have a brain, wearing a tie doesn't make you intelligent, it is not a good idea to promote someone into a post they no nothing about, you are not entitled to a bonus you earn it, same for your salary.

Better stop I'm ranting.

Julia
26-Sep-07, 22:10
I can't imagine 'Hotel Dounreay' being a very popular holiday retreat, mind you the views would be great!

How about making a tourist attraction, it's the right shape for a planetarium?

scorrie
26-Sep-07, 23:17
It's cheesy, oh so cheesy. I am sure plenty are thinking it but haven't got the lead clad cojones to come out with it. Somebody has got to do it though, so I will step forward and get it over with.

The faint refrain of an Eagles melody starts in the background and the advert for the Dounreay Resort bursts into life with the words:-

"Welcome to The Hotel Californium"

Told you it was cheesy!!

Moira
27-Sep-07, 00:13
Good one Scorrie

I like the Eagles - well at least my hubby has convinced me about that. It's not so cheesy though.

I've never worked at Dounreay but I'm all in favour of preserving the Dome for posterity. I did not have "lead clad cojones" the last time I looked but maybe I am looking in the wrong place :eek:

I've worked with many UKAEA employees however & the general perception is not what I've witnessed in the scaremongering & fingerpointing over the past few years. Most are happy & proud to have worked there.....
to say anything else would take the thread off-topic.

Long live the Dome.

webmannie
27-Sep-07, 06:57
I did not have "lead clad cojones" the last time I looked but maybe I am looking in the wrong place :eek:

Maybe you need some professional help, i'll go get my bag :roll:

brokencross
27-Sep-07, 07:34
CoJones only in Welsh people, the Scots, English and Irish ones must be called something else.

Did you all read the comments under the article, some witty, some very damning.