PDA

View Full Version : Whale sighting

Sairheed
10-Aug-05, 10:32
Sighted group of three or four animals feeding in Thurso Bay (about 3/4 mile from shore) yesterday.

Could not clearly identify them but suspect they were minke whales given, size about ten feet, diving for about ten to twenty minutes at a time and each dive was preceded by a steep arch of the back.

Can anyone confirm.

Seabird
10-Aug-05, 11:26
Can not confirm your sighting, but in may tie up with my sighting at Gills Bay when i saw
a re-occuring Minke with lots of dolphins heading east.
That was at 14.50 until 15.30.
There were also Porpoise in the sound between Stroma and the mainland.
If you have'nt done so already can you send a report to the seawatch foundation or the ranger service.
Many thanks

Tugmistress
10-Aug-05, 11:51
there certainly were minkes in the bay yesterday, i saw one just off the old ola pier at scrabster. My partner and our friend were out on a boat fishing yesterday and also saw minkes, porpoises and a school of dolphins balling the mackeral shoal to feed on aswell as a Basking shark again :D

kas
10-Aug-05, 16:03
Minkie sightings this year have been excellent,alot of dolphin and porpoise. You can report your sightings to the seawatch foundation at

http://www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk/

Seawatch week also starts on the 13th throught to the 21st, so keep your eyes peeled.The countryside rangers have 2 events this week at Strathy and Lybster. Details are in todays Courier.

Lester
12-Aug-05, 17:02
There are two whales (i think ) one large and one small in Wick bay at the moment.