PDA

View Full Version : The Poison On Your Plate

wifie
25-Sep-07, 00:20
Did anyone else watch this? How much of this ESBL E-coli has to be present in imported chicken before we stop importing it? Seems that not dragging our food half way across the world will not only improve our carbon footprint!

nanoo
25-Sep-07, 15:09
yes wifie, i watched it and it was very frightening. Why do we have to buy chicken from outside the EU anyway, is'nt there enough of them within the community. Of course there is, but then they can get it cheaper outside it can't they.I for one buy chicken in the supermarket that is southern fried or bombay or chinese chicken from time to time and i always thought it was british, so from now on i'll stick to fresh british chicken and do the flavouring myself. Not so quick to prepare, but much safer i think.:~(

wifie
25-Sep-07, 16:02
Yes I really think if we knew what went into the food on the shelves that is where it would be left!

Margaret M.
25-Sep-07, 17:55
Yes I really think if we knew what went into the food on the shelves that is where it would be left!

Agreed, and if slaughterhouses had glass walls, we would all be vegetarians (Paul and Linda Mc.).

changilass
25-Sep-07, 18:43
Having been in a slaughter house I have to say my fav food is STILL fillet steak

Kenn
25-Sep-07, 22:35
I quite agree wifie, I was horrified that chickens are imported frozen from China,where bird flue is endemic, processed here and then labled as British.
Why do the supermarkets do anything to cut costs, mislead us and generally put not only our health at risk but that of the livestock of our farmers?
For many years now I have only bought fresh chickens from a reputable butcher who can tell me which farm they were raised on, and do they taste better or do they!

scorrie
26-Sep-07, 13:39
Agreed, and if slaughterhouses had glass walls, we would all be vegetarians (Paul and Linda Mc.).

I am sure many of us would shun meat if we had to do the slaughtering ourselves.

Still, I wonder if the late Linda's products are much of an alternative? I recall a Spitting Image sketch from some years back that spoofed the Linda McCartney vegetarian range TV ads. When the ad had finished running, the voice-over announced, "That was an advertisment for British Meat!!"