PDA

View Full Version : Moral dilemma with old drivers

Rheghead
09-Aug-05, 22:17
ok, I have a friend of a friend of a friend :roll: whose father is getting a bit forgetful, a lot forgetful in fact. His only bit of independence is his car but his passengers are getting quite scared now. He is 74, I am not too sure on the procedure of renewal of driving licence after 70. I am wanting him to give up driving whilst not upsetting him. I would expect my friend of a friend of a friend :roll: would not be able to live with himself if he did not find a way to get his father to give up driving if his old man later had an accident and hurt someone.

I am after a tactful way of getting him off the road, useful suggestions please...

gleeber
09-Aug-05, 22:23
Put a tattie in the exhaust pipe of his car or some sugar in the petrol tank. :D

Jeid
10-Aug-05, 02:16
if he's really forgetful, the person could sell his car and hope that he forgot he sold it(when in fact it was your friend)

might work

sassylass
10-Aug-05, 07:37
Reminds me of my grandfather and his neighbour lady. My grandfather had all his wits but gave up driving because other drivers made him nervous. The neighbour lady was losing her marbles but still retained her reflexes. So, she would drive him around town, and he would navigate... " turn left here, your house is just there, get ready to stop".... oh dear! :eek:

It's a tough situation, one that I am on the brink of dealing with too, with my own friend's father :roll: . For the moment, I just make sure I am in the driver's seat when we go somewhere together. I ask if I can drive because I LOVE driving his car and he goes for it everytime. But there are many times he is driving around by himself, and it's worrisome.

If anyone has any good suggestions, I would like to hear them, too.

garycs
10-Aug-05, 21:57
A really awkward situation for all involved :( A friend's father gave up driving a couple of years ago at the age of 90 after pulling out in front of another car on the A66, all involved were shaken but no injuries which, I'm sure Rheghead will agree, is a miracle on that road.

You have to renew your licence at 70 years of age and then every three years thereafter, to do this the DVLA requires a "health declaration". I'm not sure if this has to be provided by a doctor or if it is similar to the law for anyone who becomes disabled i.e. the onus is on the licence holder to declare a condition which affects driving, once that has been done they require a doctor to certify they are OK to drive again. :(

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Aug-05, 02:16
Why not make them re-sit their test - as everyone should every ten years? I'm doing a piece for a newspaper tomorrow on two people who will be attempting to pass their driving test all over again. One of the people involved is a Caithness lass. Keep yer eyes peeled, y'all.

garycs
11-Aug-05, 08:34
I agree there should be ongoing assessment of all drivers, regardless of age. But more along the lines of proper eyesight, hazard awareness and reaction tests; there are assessment centres aimed at disabled drivers where these tests are already carried out.

I'd have no objection to paying say £100 every couple of years if I was certain the system was contributing to keeping us all a lot safer on the road, and it would help avoid the quandry that started this thread.

marion
13-Aug-05, 19:10
I agree there should be ongoing assessment of all drivers, regardless of age. But more along the lines of proper eyesight, hazard awareness and reaction tests; there are assessment centres aimed at disabled drivers where these tests are already carried out. .

Makes sence to me. I have seen too many young drivers who are in too much of a hurry with speeding and reckless driving. Many of them wind up taking out themselves along with innocent victims. I attended a wothwhile course for senior citizens teaching us on how to drive safely. I believe it changes the percentages of senior citizens being involved in accidents.