PDA

View Full Version : Wick Squash Courts

Gizmo
09-Aug-05, 15:13
My friend and i just tried to book a session at the Squash Courts only to be told that you cannot book the court on a pay to play basis, you have to be a member of the Squash Club and that costs £45 anually, this is just ridiculous and unfair seeing as it's a council owned building, i have never played it before but would love to try it, looks like that plan is well and truly knackered.

So if anyone involved with the Squash Club is reading this could you please explain to me why you have these ridiculous rules?

bird
09-Aug-05, 17:29
The club used to have a sort of 'come and try' - you could play up to 3 times I think without having to become a member. Then if you liked it you could join. You'd have to check it out with a committee member probably but I'll bet the club would be pretty keen to encourage as many new members as possible!!

-=[TLM]=-Spike
09-Aug-05, 19:05
I’m the Treasurer of the Wick Squash Club; the Club is a member only Club, we do allow 3 trial visits after that you must become a member. The trail visits are normally with a member, if you don't know any members that could take you along, you can contact me by PM and I'll arrange something for you. We don't have a pay to play system as this would require the Squash Courts to be constantly manned.

squash
09-Aug-05, 23:03
I would like to know, where Gizmo tried to book a session of SQUASH ?

I would also like to know, how he or she thinks the Building was Council Owned ? because the building is owned by the Squash Club but the GROUND is leased from the Council.

I know for a fact that the Treasurer of the Squash Club would be more than willing to arrange for Gismo and his friend to have at least THREE Trial Session,s before they decide, if they want to join or not.

In all my years that I have been involved in the SQUASH CLUB, this is the FIRST time, that I have heard anyone being TOLD that they have to pay £45 before they can try the Game.

I was off the opinion that, if someone contacted any member of the Club, they would be informed of the THREE SESSION RULE.

I hope GIZMO arranges a SESSION because the Club is always looking for New Members.

Gizmo
09-Aug-05, 23:39
We were told you had to book it at the sports shop, and it was the owner who said that you had to be a member, it's never been mentioned to me before that it is a private club and as it's part of the complex at Harmsworth Park i assumed it was council run and could be used by anyone, just like booking a hall in the assembly rooms to play Badminton...my appolgies for the mistake.

We are not looking to become members, we just wanted to have a game for fun, my friend who is home on holiday has played before but i have not, he just thought i would enjoy it.

Ashes
11-Aug-05, 20:38
Gizmo, I played squash for 30 years, once you start it gets a hold of you, get some lessons, the members will help you, all the clubs Ive been to have been very helpful to new starters. Remember it takes a long time, so dont expect to be a expert in a short time, the more you play, the better you get. Best of luck.
Kind regards Ashes[/b]

Joey
11-Aug-05, 22:33
Do Thurso courts have the same arrangements?