PDA

View Full Version : ...and now, the next battle.

Ricco
23-Sep-07, 08:11
Blue tongue - its official. My goodness, the farming community is taking a lot of body blows right now. Reeling from an onset of Foot & Mouth cases we now see the first case of Blue Tongue in the UK. Spread by our wee 'friend' the midgey it affects cattle, sheep, goats, deer and other hooved beasties. The first case was a Highland coo on a rare breeds farm in Suffolk. Supposedly the midge (or midges) were blown across the Channel, where Blue Tongue is rife.

Let's hope that they get this one under control rapidly.

peter macdonald
23-Sep-07, 10:15
Aye Ricco Just hope this stays as far away as possible This could have serious effects up here if it comes north
PM

johno
23-Sep-07, 14:10
my wee g, son had blue tongue all day yesterday after eating some sweet that his mum gave him, sure hope he does,nt start an epidemic.?:eek: [lol]

corgiman
23-Sep-07, 14:13
I have been wondering for a while now whether the midge could spread myxomatosis in rabbits, so this I think would confirm it for me if a midge can break a cows skin then no problem to get into a rabbit.

rockchick
23-Sep-07, 15:00
What I don't get about this is that, according to the news, bluetongue is spread by midges (I presume like mosquitoes spreading malaria among humans). So, if bluetongue is spread by midges...how did it get into the UK? I didn't think midges flew that far, certainly not over the channel surely??

canuck
23-Sep-07, 16:32
What I don't get about this is that, according to the news, bluetongue is spread by midges (I presume like mosquitoes spreading malaria among humans). So, if bluetongue is spread by midges...how did it get into the UK? I didn't think midges flew that far, certainly not over the channel surely??

It is amazing what insects can do on wind currents. Another likelihood of midge transport is under the feathers of a bird making the trip. Still more likely is an insect getting caught in an airplane hold or even a car which makes the crossing.

West Nile virus arrived in North America about 10 years ago. It is carried in mosquitoes and likely arrived either on a cargo ship or an airplane.

Then these things can live in the wild for years before they show up in domestic animals or humans.

Rheghead
23-Sep-07, 16:37
I have been wondering for a while now whether the midge could spread myxomatosis in rabbits, so this I think would confirm it for me if a midge can break a cows skin then no problem to get into a rabbit.

I thought it was farmers who brought in infected rabbits into their areas.

iain
23-Sep-07, 16:44
Some gamekeepers? have allegedly done it in the past ! Its a horrible thing

corgiman
23-Sep-07, 16:49
yes but from a rabbit breeders perspective, myxomatosis gets into your shed and your stock is wiped out and it has happened to a few this year in the UK and it is spread by biting insects, it was known for sure that mosquito's and fleas etc passed it but midges were a bit of an unknown but it would seem that it is highly likely that they can also spread it. Time for some serious fly netting to go up then. You can vaccinate against it but the vaccine just means your stock will still get the virus but has a higher chance of surviving it but not guaranteed survival and you still get the symptoms etc.

Ricco
23-Sep-07, 18:00

According to a NFU spokesman it is most likely that they were blown across the Channel.

Rheghead
23-Sep-07, 18:19
According to a NFU spokesman it is most likely that they were blown across the Channel.

I think we will see more of these incidents as the effects of global warming take a deeper grip.

Ricco
24-Sep-07, 19:38
It isn't that far removed that mosquitos on the South coast could start to carry malaria. There is an Anopholes specie on Hayling Island that is currently malaria free.... but for how long? And what about rabies? With all these idiot nutters trying to smuggle this and that into the country it won't be long. :confused

Ricco
28-Sep-07, 20:24
Well, I noticed on the news that it is now official - we are in the grip of a potential Blue Tongue endemic. The only thing we can pray for (through Canuck, of course) is a harsh and bitter winter to kill of the midges that are carrying the virus.:confused

pat
28-Sep-07, 21:42
Will we all be buying those Midge Eaters next year so we do not get 'blue tongue'
Know I was thinking of getting one this year but was a bit late in really discovering how good they were, still contemplating it for next year - expensive but it does get rid of the dreaded midge.

Ricco
29-Sep-07, 09:14
Will we all be buying those Midge Eaters next year so we do not get 'blue tongue'
Know I was thinking of getting one this year but was a bit late in really discovering how good they were, still contemplating it for next year - expensive but it does get rid of the dreaded midge.

Pat, do tell us more. With a concerted effort we may be able to halt the midgie in its tracks.

corgiman
29-Sep-07, 09:57
have you seen the price of them :eek: http://themidgeatershop.shopkit.net/?gclid=CK_7062k6I4CFQMrlAod0QY7JA great idea but ouch :eek: