PDA

View Full Version : summerfields thurso

mr do dar
22-Sep-07, 21:45
well thats the end of summerfields in thurso . it was good well it lasted the best days was when safeways had the ownership of the store . once summerfields got there hands on it the place went down hill fast . hopefully tesco will bring the standards back up in the place and people will like shopping in there

Fran
23-Sep-07, 02:24
Will this mean that Thurso shoppers wont come to the wick Tesco now and the wick store will close earlier???

anneoctober
23-Sep-07, 05:56
Will this mean that Thurso shoppers wont come to the wick Tesco now and the wick store will close earlier???
Can't see that happening Fran. It would send out the wrong signals with Asda in the offing. :lol: Plus, Sommerfields is a much smaller shoppie, not enough room for all the Tesco goodies !;)

bekisman
23-Sep-07, 10:24
not wishing to be accused of rumour-mongering (I did say a month or so back that Tesco was buying up Somerfields, told it was Wick, but never mind.) Now I've been told that Bridgend Garage has been approached by Tesco in Thurso.. Hmmm surely too small and awkward to get to? I'm sure Tesco will do all in it's power to forestall ASDA and a petrol station would help - but would it?; with Tesco local prices and ASDA National, but then Tesco would have to lower for ASDA, I don't know, we will just have to wait and see. At least with Tesco in Thurso us folks way 'out west' should be getting home delivery?

Ash
23-Sep-07, 10:58
was somerfield on friday night, wasnt much left, but what was left wasnt really reduced alot im my opinion, also spoke to a member of staff and thurso tesco arent doing home delivery,seems unfair!

Bobinovich
23-Sep-07, 11:04
not wishing to be accused of rumour-mongering (I did say a month or so back that Tesco was buying up Somerfields, told it was Wick, but never mind.) Now I've been told that Bridgend Garage has been approached by Tesco in Thurso.. Hmmm surely too small and awkward to get to? I'm sure Tesco will do all in it's power to forestall ASDA and a petrol station would help - but would it?; with Tesco local prices and ASDA National, but then Tesco would have to lower for ASDA, I don't know, we will just have to wait and see. At least with Tesco in Thurso us folks way 'out west' should be getting home delivery?

LOL I said this to my OH when I heard the news of Tesco taking over Somerfields - especially if they buy up the old Altermotive Engineering place as well - they'd probably need to re-route the wee lane between the two but that wouldn't be difficult.

gollach
23-Sep-07, 11:06
thurso tesco arent doing home delivery,seems unfair!
The smaller Tesco stores down south don't do delivery either. You need to be within about 20-25 miles of a large store to get delivery via their home shopping service.

Ash
23-Sep-07, 11:40
The smaller Tesco stores down south don't do delivery either. You need to be within about 20-25 miles of a large store to get delivery via their home shopping service.

i know but seem people were used to somerfield delivering, it just seems unfair that right fair enough we get a tesco, but wick has a better one, we have chemists, but they dont open on a sunday, wick have superdrug that open on a sunday, 2 occasions my 3 year old was unwell on a sunday and nowhere in thurso had what she needed as the supermarkets dont stock that much, i had to ask someone to watch the wee one and get a lift from a friend to go to wick, its unfair

Bobinovich
23-Sep-07, 12:56
Life is sometimes unfair Ash. Depending on your wee one's condition Somerfield stock Calpol and I'm sure Co-Op do too. If the problem was more severe then I would take either of ours to the Dunbar as they stock, and can prescribe, stronger medicines if they feel it is warranted.

We have found from experience that it is handy to keep a bare minimum of medicines - Calpol, Calprofen / Childrens Nurofen, cough medicine, etc. - along with the mandatory plasters, bandages, sudocream, et al - in a safe place ready for whatever ailment comes along.

If Wick is that much better you could always move there [lol]

gollach
23-Sep-07, 13:01

There's no need for talk like that !!!

Bobinovich
23-Sep-07, 13:10
It was only said in jest :eek:!

angela5
23-Sep-07, 13:35
Somerfield and the Co-op stock Calpol, Ibuprofen in Sachets.

wifie
23-Sep-07, 14:16
Suppose it is getting a bit of original post but it would seem sensible to keep a reasonably stocked first aid kit for most eventualities. Some people want everything open 24/7 - is this really a good idea when people should be trying to save energy, etc?

chiccool
23-Sep-07, 14:39
They dont stock anything in the Somerfield,s shop in Thurso as it is now closed :lol:

Bobinovich
23-Sep-07, 14:51
A week or so ago I was in Somerfield and commented to the bloke on the Deli counter how I'd never seen the shelves so empty. Then I was looking at the cheeses and suggested that, when the new Tesco opens, that they offer samples days to allow people to try the different varieties. He said that they have done this on numerous occasions - I must have missed them!

Anyway, not being too busy he volunteered information on the range they had, and was only too happy to open some of the wrappers and allow me to try wee samples. He was rewarded not only with praise for his customer service, but also with the sale of a couple of different cheeses which I thought would go down well with my OH (FYI it was Fruit Terrine (sweet & creamy) and Spicy Jack (with bits of chilli - leaves a mini fire at the back of the throat).

I was one happy camper!

angela5
23-Sep-07, 14:55
A week or so ago I was in Somerfield and commented to the bloke on the Deli counter how I'd never seen the shelves so empty. Then I was looking at the cheeses and suggested that, when the new Tesco opens, that they offer samples days to allow people to try the different varieties. He said that they have done this on numerous occasions - I must have missed them!

Anyway, not being too busy he volunteered information on the range they had, and was only too happy to open some of the wrappers and allow me to try wee samples. He was rewarded not only with praise for his customer service, but also with the sale of a couple of different cheeses which I thought would go down well with my OH (FYI it was Fruit Terrine (sweet & creamy) and Spicy Jack (with bits of chilli - leaves a mini fire at the back of the throat).

I was one happy camper!

Tesco has packs of cheese selections which includes Spicy Jack, it's the best cheese i have ever tasted. Yum!

kev bev
23-Sep-07, 15:01
it makes a change from thurso getting everything i say!!! its about time wick get stuff!!!!!!

Ash
23-Sep-07, 17:18
Life is sometimes unfair Ash. Depending on your wee one's condition Somerfield stock Calpol and I'm sure Co-Op do too. If the problem was more severe then I would take either of ours to the Dunbar as they stock, and can prescribe, stronger medicines if they feel it is warranted.

We have found from experience that it is handy to keep a bare minimum of medicines - Calpol, Calprofen / Childrens Nurofen, cough medicine, etc. - along with the mandatory plasters, bandages, sudocream, et al - in a safe place ready for whatever ailment comes along.

on two occasions we took the wee one to dunbar and the refused as and one was with suspected menigitis! how awful is that
we keep the calpol at home but sometimes u might need other things, especially when u least expect it not just for the kids

Ash
23-Sep-07, 17:20
it makes a change from thurso getting everything i say!!! its about time wick get stuff!!!!!!

what does thurso have?

a cinema/bowling alley

that is it! oh and dounreay wow

wick has boots, weatherspoons, tesco, superdrug, homebase, pets at home, argos you even have toymaster graham beggs in thurso dont do toys now![evil]

Max
23-Sep-07, 18:19
I don't think it's a matter of who has what - there are obvious benefits whatever town you live in. I think it is good for Caithness as a whole to have these new retail outlets. Think you should maybe look at the "bigger picture"!!

tenabowla
23-Sep-07, 21:39
what does thurso have?

a cinema/bowling alley

wick has boots, weatherspoons, tesco, superdrug, homebase, pets at home, argos you even have toymaster graham beggs in thurso dont do toys now![evil]

it's good to see the weekers have boots, they'll be handy come e winter, and spoons and pets what more could they ask for.

chiccool
23-Sep-07, 22:18
[quote=tenabowla;275278]it's good to see the weekers have boots, they'll be handy come e winter, and spoons and pets what more could they ask for.[/quote
boots for the snow , spoons for the hot soup and pets to sit infront of your fire :lol:

mccaugm
23-Sep-07, 22:40
was somerfield on friday night, wasnt much left, but what was left wasnt really reduced alot im my opinion, also spoke to a member of staff and thurso tesco arent doing home delivery,seems unfair!

Tesco have different policies with their shops. Tesco metro, Tesco stores and Tesco Superstores which are the ones who do the deliveries. It would be pointless to use a smaller store which cannot stock all items which are to be available for delivery.

Serenity
23-Sep-07, 23:23
what does thurso have?

a cinema/bowling alley

Thurso is 20 mins from Wick with all those things. Besides Thurso has loads of nice pubs/restaurants that are better and cheaper then wetherspoons(wouldn't hurry back there). And most stuff is available online(I thought Tesco delivered online shopping here already - never tried it so I might be wrong). And homebase is generally more expensive than local shops(when they stock it)
I will welcome Tesco or anything like it but I am not jealous of Wick for getting any of those things. It is all good for the county.