PDA

View Full Version : how exactly to cut plaster coving

Dollpops
08-Aug-05, 23:21
Can anyone detail in layman's terms how to cut coving EXACTLY please

gleeber
09-Aug-05, 00:13
Use a saw. You will get a template with the coving for cutting the corner mitres.

Rheghead
09-Aug-05, 09:36
I used a saw to accurately cut my coving to the given template, only to find that the walls were out of true. This made gaps in the joint between the coving. You can always get corner pieces to hide all the sins of a botch job though. Polyfilla is good to fill gaps afterwards, you do not want black gaps showing after you paint over. Keep in mind you are not constantly looking at coving when the job is done so you can allow a little leeway in accuracy...good luck!

frank ward
09-Aug-05, 16:47
Wickes in Inverness sell a plastic gizmo that you fit over the coving and saw against the edge. I used it to good effect but you'll find that old walls often aren't square and you'll have to fill the cracks with pollyfilla and a wet finger.

htwood
09-Aug-05, 19:14
Measure twice and cut once.

and its a poor sport who will get up on a ladder to inspect how much polyfilla used. ;)

gleeber
09-Aug-05, 20:47
Even the professionals use filler. Lots of it. :eyes
Dont forget the measuring tape, sandpaper, pencil, adhesive, hawk dust-mask, rubber gloves, goggles, hop-up, sponge, bucket and a wee paint brush.
Hmmm have I forgotten anything? :confused