PDA

View Full Version : To End All Wars

scotsboy
21-Sep-07, 11:37
I happened upon a good film on the telly last night. It was titled To End all Wars, and centred on the true story of prisoners of war held by the Japanese. The movie was inspired by the memoirs of Captain Ernest Gordon of the Scottish Argyle’s, Ernest an agnostic survived his incarceration and treatment at the hands of the Japanese and went on to become a Presbyterian minister, then emigrated to the USA and became Dean at Princeton.
Captain Gordon was an agnostic when he entered the war but his experiences during that time turned him to religion. It is a very powerful and humbling story, and all the more poignant due to the Scottish connection.
I must try and get a hold of the book.

scorrie
21-Sep-07, 14:58
I happened upon a good film on the telly last night. It was titled To End all Wars, and centred on the true story of prisoners of war held by the Japanese. The movie was inspired by the memoirs of Captain Ernest Gordon of the Scottish Argyle’s, Ernest an agnostic survived his incarceration and treatment at the hands of the Japanese and went on to become a Presbyterian minister, then emigrated to the USA and became Dean at Princeton.
Captain Gordon was an agnostic when he entered the war but his experiences during that time turned him to religion. It is a very powerful and humbling story, and all the more poignant due to the Scottish connection.
I must try and get a hold of the book.

You can get the book here Scotsboy:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/End-All-Wars-Survive-Courage/dp/0007118481/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/203-5973745-3326316?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190382659&sr=8-2

If you are stuck by being in Saudi, I'll buy it on your behalf and mail it to you at actual cost.

scotsboy
21-Sep-07, 15:12
Thanks for that Scorrie - I actually looked on Amazon, but under the titles:

Miracle on the River Kwai, and
Through the Valley of the Kwai

Which are the titles it was previously released under. Never thought of checking the title of the movie!

No problem with me purchasing it - I am a regular Amazon customer. But the offer is very much appreciated.