PDA

View Full Version : Stock exchange

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
20-Sep-07, 11:50
anyone ever had a dabble in the stock exchange - ive just bought some northern rock shares, be that a good idea or a bad idea???

fred
20-Sep-07, 12:25
anyone ever had a dabble in the stock exchange - ive just bought some northern rock shares, be that a good idea or a bad idea???

I've done a bit of gambling in my time and the best gamblers I ever knew were some Chinese lads. They knew exactly how much they could afford to lose and exactly how much they hoped to win before they even started and the moment either one happened they just packed up and went home.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
20-Sep-07, 12:35
thats surely the only way to gamble??? to know how much yo ucan afford to win or losE??? othewise you're nuts going into it blind unless it's a tenner flutter???

Is it a complete gamble or an educated guess or strategic move???

im hoping strategic move- there's an imminent buy out - shares are rock bottom no way are share holders going to accept the current rates ina buy out, to double my money is what i hope for!

Whitewater
20-Sep-07, 12:37

I think it is probably a good idea, they have had a hiccup but with the government behind them I'm pretty sure they will get back up to their normal value fairly soon, they have already risen a bit.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
20-Sep-07, 13:11
well they rose slightly but have fallen even more, lowest trade was today 180p per share.

Doolally
20-Sep-07, 22:33
I read somewhere that they could even go under a Pound!

I like a flutter and I'm sure glad I didn't own any last week.

Personally I'm staying clear just now but saying that, buying now might prove a great move if the price climbs with a buy-out!

Good luck!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
20-Sep-07, 22:41
if it goes below a pound i'll need to fire a pile more in and hedge the bets eh..... i have quiet confidence!!

fred
20-Sep-07, 23:33
thats surely the only way to gamble???

People with the ability to do it are few and far between. The instinct when losing is to bet more heavily to try and recoup your losses and few people have the willpower to quit when they are on a roll.

scorrie
20-Sep-07, 23:50
if it goes below a pound i'll need to fire a pile more in and hedge the bets eh..... i have quiet confidence!!

http://money.guardian.co.uk/saving/banks/story/0,,2173454,00.html

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this article suggests a potential low of 6p per share!!

Hope they are wrong.

Highland Laddie
21-Sep-07, 01:40
If they were to drop to 6p i for one would chance 6k, = 100,000 shares.
every penny it rises is worth 1k, got to be worth the gamble.

fred
21-Sep-07, 09:44

That would still be a gamble, the shares would still have 6p to fall.

Northern Rock is just a detail, a very small tip of an iceberg of huge proportions, all the banks are in big trouble. The dollar has been falling for ages thanks to the American government trying to run the country on cliches rather than reality, share prices are in big trouble thanks to the shady practices of American money lenders. The Fed can't bail both out, it can only help one at the expense of the other and they have opted to help their pals on Wall Street at the expense of the American people. They lowered interest rates half a point which means that the dollar will continue to fall from it's already record lows. There is a very real risk that this action could put an end to America's dollar hegemony in the Middle East, if that happens not only will our banking system collapse, our entire monetary system will collapse as well. On top of that we are already losing two very expensive wars and look intent on starting another one.

If I had 6k to play with I'd be buying gold.

scorrie
21-Sep-07, 10:26

Not a lot of good to anyone who bought them for, say, 200p though!!