PDA

View Full Version : Suspicion Alert: How to win friends and influence people!

Rheghead
19-Sep-07, 07:33
I have just bought the famous book, 'How to win friends and influence people' by Dale Carnegie. Do you think people will suspect me of being overly in-your-face or will they respond to the advice/tactics that are given in the book? I have noticed that most folk don't seem to warm to pushy people and are a bit more reserved up here. However, I think it may help me in work situations.

Has anyone read this sort of book and how did it affect your social life, and did it help?:confused

Lolabelle
19-Sep-07, 09:30
I remember reading it years ago and thought it was really funny. But not very practical. I will have to have another look and see if my memories are correct.

orkneylass
19-Sep-07, 10:10
I would recommend reading Daniel Goleman's "Emotional intelligence"

Ricco
20-Sep-07, 18:04
OH, not Dale Carnegie. Rheghead - that guy talked the most condescending load of tripe. Sorry, I went on a Dale Carnegie course once and found it so bad I quit my then job. :confused

trix
20-Sep-07, 18:55
i read it years ago an kwite lekt it, thot it wis kwite funny. a few useful bits lek always using peoples names when ye want something...

me - any chance o a sub?
auld chile - no

me - hi dad, any chance o a sub?
auld chile - no

hope ye hev more success than me rhegheid... :roll:

karia
20-Sep-07, 19:22
i read it years ago an kwite lekt it, thot it wis kwite funny. a few useful bits lek always using peoples names when ye want something...

me - any chance o a sub?
auld chile - no

me - hi dad, any chance o a sub?
auld chile - no

hope ye hev more success than me rhegheid... :roll:

I love it!:lol:

karia

htwood
20-Sep-07, 20:36
I read it years ago as part of a sociology/social psych class. if I mind correctly ( and I may not!) it had good general concepts about making coworkers feel appreciated. What have you got to lose by reading it and gently trying a few ideas out.
The only other thing I got from Carnegie was his advice to only let a piece of paper cross your sight once. So I open my mail and either do it directly, or give it to someone else to do.
Let us know how it goes Rheghead. -Helen

Oddquine
20-Sep-07, 20:56
My male offspring swears by Stephen Covey's " Seven Habits of Highly Effective People".

Dunno how good it is, 'cos I've never read it, but it has certainly changed my male offspring's interaction with his family for the better.....probably down to #5.

I, of course, already am perfect, so I don't need books to tell me how to be perfect!

Rheghead
20-Sep-07, 21:04
Let us know how it goes Rheghead. -Helen

I've read chapter 1.

Rule 1. Never criticise and complain....:roll:

It's gonna be harder than I thought.

karia
20-Sep-07, 21:08
Hi Oddquine,

Go on then..what's rule no 5?

karia

Oddquine
20-Sep-07, 21:22
Hi Oddquine,

Go on then..what's rule no 5?

karia

habit 5 - seek first to understand and then to be understoodŽ

One of the great maxims of the modern age. This is Covey's habit of communication, and it's extremely powerful. Covey helps to explain this in his simple analogy 'diagnose before you prescribe'. Simple and effective, and essential for developing and maintaining positive relationships in all aspects of life. (See the associated sections on Empathy (http://www.businessballs.com/empathy.htm), Transactional Analysis (http://www.businessballs.com/transactionalanalysis.htm), and the Johari Window (http://www.businessballs.com/johariwindowmodel.htm).)

golach
20-Sep-07, 21:28
I've read chapter 1.

Rule 1. Never criticise and complain....:roll:

It's gonna be harder than I thought.
I read the frontpiece, and gave up all together, but decided my Rule 5 was .....Never Join the Scottish Nationalist Party [lol]

Anne x
20-Sep-07, 21:46
here here !!! golach

Rheghead
20-Sep-07, 21:51
Never Join the Scottish Nationalist Party [lol]

Judging by the cosy wee trists with the Queen, you mean the Scottish Royalist Party, no?:D