PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know?

connieb19
18-Sep-07, 19:26
Why years ago did there used to be sawdust on the Butchers shop floors, why don't they do it now? :confused

bluelady
18-Sep-07, 19:30
it used to be to soak up blood I think. I remember when I was a kid seeing whole pigs strung up and the blood dripping on e floor. I think they may not have em delivered like that anymore, but it needs someone more in e know.

karia
18-Sep-07, 19:35
Why years ago did there used to be sawdust on the Butchers shop floors, why don't they do it now? :confused

Hi Connie,

It was to soak up blood and residue from the delivery of carcassses which was often done at the front of the butchers shops.

In the 1980's hygiene standards were tightened and more meat was transported 'packaged' ...hence the sawdust got swept away with the times.

Thank God!:eek:

Karia

lady penelope
18-Sep-07, 19:41
The Phoenix Bar in Inverness still puts sawdust on the floor.

Maybe It's for the same reason:eek:;)

Ugh!

connieb19
18-Sep-07, 19:42
Thanks for that, goodness knows why but I've been wondering about it all day lol. :) Something else that's been bothering me is turkey ham, what on earth is it? :confused:

connieb19
18-Sep-07, 19:45

Maybe It's for the same reason:eek:

Ugh!Heckies, maybe it's along the same lines as cat litter.
:eek:

Camel Spider
18-Sep-07, 19:54
And if Pringles are that good that "Once you pop you cant stop" why do they have a re-sealable lid ??

karia
18-Sep-07, 20:03
Heckies, maybe it's along the same lines as cat litter.

Unsavoury is it not ?!:eek:

Turkey ham, from the 'ham' of the turkey...thigh meat?

( have you spent the day at an abbatoir?)[lol]

karia

johno
18-Sep-07, 21:19
dont think the environmental health people would like the sawdust now. they wer,nt there years ago.

karia
18-Sep-07, 22:41
Hi Johno and connie,

My OH was an environmental health officer in the early 1980's.

On one occasion the contamination of the 'potted hough' was traced to the sawdust and petrol traces within.

New and 'clean' sawdust was provided and all was well.

Sawdust was still in use until the mid eighties.

Karia

George Brims
18-Sep-07, 23:40

Ugh!

I remember when it used to be! Good beer in there in those days, but I haven't been in that bar in a long time.

fred
18-Sep-07, 23:48

Ugh!

In Inverness it was probably just the night befores furniture.

Mr_Me19
19-Sep-07, 07:48
The family were in a bar in Canada and there they had a similar notion. Peanut shells. You would help your self to peanuts (technically monkey-nuts) from the bowls on the bar, and tables and then when you were done you just swept the shells onto the floor!! We never found out what the reason was for this but perhaps it is along the same lines?

changilass
19-Sep-07, 08:42
They do that in Raffles Long Bar in Singapore, its to help soak up any spills and also because its so humid over there.

Lolabelle
19-Sep-07, 09:25
I think it was to soak up the blood, but also to stop slipping. We still have whole beasts carried into the butcher shops over here, but with the new non slip floor they don't seem to use the sawdust.

angela5
19-Sep-07, 13:12

To cover the cockroaches, we've pest control now.[lol]

helenwyler
19-Sep-07, 14:58

Maybe It's for the same reason

Ugh!

Hi Lady P

My dad used to call certain drinkning establishments 'spit and sawdust' pubs..............lovely image:eek:!!

There used to be 'No Hawking or Spitting' signs in buses in the 1950s, I think!

EDDIE
19-Sep-07, 19:19
Sawdust was also used in all the garages years ago to soak up the oil and grease on the floors it did a good job better than the granules u get today the sawdust was free from the sawmill but u have to pay for the granules