PDA

View Full Version : saudi arabia.

johno
18-Sep-07, 16:45
saw a bit in the newspaper today that women in Saudi Arabia were petitioning to the king or prince or someone to have the right to drive a car. seems their not allowed this privilege, not even visiting females are allowed to drive either. another interesting bit of useless information you might think ,but in these modern times there are a lot of female high fliers & i would think that this would almost certainly restrict their movements while doing bussiness in that country. :~( so much for political correctness or human right over there then.

scorrie
18-Sep-07, 17:07
The men also walk hand in hand,with the women following at a respectable distance. That is just the tip of the iceberg though. It's all here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia

Enjoy the holiday!!

scotsboy
18-Sep-07, 17:10
I live in Saudi Arabia. The issue of females driving does raise its head every now and again, and there have been rumblings that it will happen.......inshallah.......to be honest it would does/not effect any visiting business people, as all employ the services of drivers.

The standard of driving is terrible, and road safety must be the worst in the World, the amount of accidents I have witnessed (as well as graphic pictures sent to me by email) is incredible. Hopefully conditions would improve if women were allowed to drive.

Rheghead
18-Sep-07, 17:14
Hopefully conditions would improve if women were allowed to drive.

Surely no?:lol:

johno
18-Sep-07, 17:17
Surely no?:lol:
heh heh ,your bound to get some backlash for that remark.......[lol]

scotsboy
18-Sep-07, 17:34
Well allowing for the fact that statistically women are safer drivers than men, one of the main reasons that is touted for not allowing them to drive in Saudi Arabia, is that it is for their own protection. I would hope that the men would actually calm their driving down a bit, and be more courteous if women were on the road.
Seriously the driving here really has to be seen to be believed. It is the most stressful and dangerous thing you have to do - I have not seen driving as bad anywhere else.

JAWS
18-Sep-07, 23:48
Will somebody provide me with a chauffeur 24/7 please? I'm a modern man so I don't mind it they are male or female! I wish!

Camel Spider
19-Sep-07, 04:40
Scotsboy .. is there still the white land cruiser exodus down the causeway who then come back and suddenly find they are religious ??

scotsboy
19-Sep-07, 15:15
Scotsboy .. is there still the white land cruiser exodus down the causeway who then come back and suddenly find they are religious ??

Traffic on the Causeway can be pretty busy Camel. It is a wee bit quieter at the moment with it being Ramadan.
I take what you are alluding to is those who go to Bahrain to “enjoy” certain things that are not (legally) available in Saudi Arabia (alcohol, cinema,) and the more relaxed way of life, including being served by ladies in the shops etc. To be honest there are Saudi’s who go across just for a break and there are those who go across to drink and meet some female company – the Saudis who I know who drink have a more relaxed outlook on life (in terms of religion). There are hypocrites everywhere – we need to look no further than the UK with those who only turn to religion at Easter/Christmas, when they want to arrange a Wedding or when someone has died.
There are huge cultural differences, and you need to remember that Bahrain is also a Muslim country. Religion plays a HUGE role in life in Saudi Arabia.

scorrie
19-Sep-07, 22:12
Traffic on the Causeway can be pretty busy Camel. It is a wee bit quieter at the moment with it being Ramadan.
I take what you are alluding to is those who go to Bahrain to “enjoy” certain things that are not (legally) available in Saudi Arabia (alcohol, cinema,) and the more relaxed way of life, including being served by ladies in the shops etc. To be honest there are Saudi’s who go across just for a break and there are those who go across to drink and meet some female company – the Saudis who I know who drink have a more relaxed outlook on life (in terms of religion). There are hypocrites everywhere – we need to look no further than the UK with those who only turn to religion at Easter/Christmas, when they want to arrange a Wedding or when someone has died.
There are huge cultural differences, and you need to remember that Bahrain is also a Muslim country. Religion plays a HUGE role in life in Saudi Arabia.

So, what is it really like in Saudi regarding Human Rights? Are they still lopping limbs off or is that just hype?

I have this vision of a Saudi advert for deodorant that runs with the slogan "Hands up if you use Right Guard, Hands off if you don't"

On a serious note, I would like to know how it really is.

On a less serious note "Ramadan, ding-dong, Ramadan-a-Ramadana ding-dong", Rocky Sharp

Julia
19-Sep-07, 22:26
The men also walk hand in hand,with the women following at a respectable distance. That is just the tip of the iceberg though. It's all here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia)

Enjoy the holiday!!

OMG! I knew it was bad but did not think it was sooooo bad for women! Tho I suppose if they are brought up over there and know of nothing different it is all pretty normal and possibly 'acceptable' for most.

Re the driving ~ Women are not even allowed to ride bicycles on public roads in cities but are allowed to fly aircraft, only if chauffeured to the airport.

Rheghead
20-Sep-07, 04:44
Well at the very least, it is illegal to sell a Bible in SA, on pain of death.:roll:

JAWS
20-Sep-07, 05:31
So, what is it really like in Saudi regarding Human Rights? Are they still lopping limbs off or is that just hype?I believe they still do but it is done under anaesthetic. I understand it is the right hand which is removed for offences such as theft. It is done because, in effect, it makes you an outcast from society.

It stems from the days, and I am not sure if things have changed, when toilet paper was unknown and the left hand was used for that purpose. (I assume you get the idea)
When eating is a communal event and everybody dips into the same bowl of food using their right hand I suspect you can see why, without a right-hand, nobody would be wanting you to share food with them.

I gather that, unlike here, theft and similar crimes are almost completely unknown.

scorrie
20-Sep-07, 21:26
I believe they still do but it is done under anaesthetic. I understand it is the right hand which is removed for offences such as theft. It is done because, in effect, it makes you an outcast from society.

It stems from the days, and I am not sure if things have changed, when toilet paper was unknown and the left hand was used for that purpose. (I assume you get the idea)
When eating is a communal event and everybody dips into the same bowl of food using their right hand I suspect you can see why, without a right-hand, nobody would be wanting you to share food with them.

I gather that, unlike here, theft and similar crimes are almost completely unknown.

Thanks for the information. I had assumed that the reason for removal was simply to make it harder for thieves to steal in future.

On the Andrex front, I am a strict right-handed operator as I would find it hard to hit the Bullseye with the left!!