PDA

View Full Version : Upper Deck

Thumper
18-Sep-07, 09:42
Does anyone know if they still do a meat menu?I was looking on their website and it shows a menu but it's all seafood apart from one surf and turf option which is an 8oz steak and half a lobster.I hate seafood so if that is all the choice available then there's no point going but I do love their steaks!if anyone has been recently and can tell me if they have steaks etc I would be grateful x

gem1982
20-Sep-07, 15:55
Was that maybe their lunch menu you were looking at?

As far as I know they still do their small medium and large fillets, sirloins and rump with a variety of sauces etc to accompany them (at a price of course!). depending on the last time you went there for a meal you may well be in for a shock at the prices! Last I heard a large fillet was £35! and the steak sizes are nowhere near as large as they used to be!

Thumper
20-Sep-07, 16:01
Lordy!That is steep!:eek: thanks for letting me know tho gem.As its not me paying I might be persuaded to go anyway :) x

Ash
20-Sep-07, 17:08
i cant believe thats how much they are charging, i was there a few years back for my birthday( i wasnt paying) everyone was like you cant go and not have a steak, well i wish i never had steak! wasnt that good:(

angela5
20-Sep-07, 17:36
Lordy!That is steep!:eek: thanks for letting me know tho gem.As its not me paying I might be persuaded to go anyway x

Go, you only live once...........I would go for the largest fillet £35, always tastes good when someone else is paying.:lol:

Thumper
20-Sep-07, 18:14
Go, you only live once...........I would go for the largest fillet £35, always tastes good when someone else is paying.:lol:

angela5 you are a bad girl......but I love it!Thats exactly what I was thinking too [lol] x

karia
20-Sep-07, 18:33
Hi thumper,

Don't forget the champers to wash it down,..a big steak likely needs 2 bottles! ;)

karia

Thumper
20-Sep-07, 19:13
Hey Karia!You know what? I love champers!So so much!Especially the pink stuff!Oh I can't wait to go for dinner now :) x

Dadie
20-Sep-07, 20:31
I just wish the puds were better.. its always the first thing i look at on a menu *sigh*

plutonio
23-Sep-07, 09:56
I have read on numerous occasions about how good the "upper Deck" is, I went last night for the first time with a party of 8 and to say the least the food was very average and not living up to the hype, the service however was terrible and many other people complained.
I won't be going back.

connieb19
23-Sep-07, 10:01
That's good to know. A few of us are going out for a meal and couldn't decide between the Upper Deck or the Bistro, think we'll stick to the Bistro now. :)

Thumper
23-Sep-07, 11:22
Thanks for the info everyone...didn't go this weekend ,but by what plutonio said I m rather glad I didnt :) ended up staying in with a takeaway and a couple of bottles of vino collapso...very nice indeed :) and with the money we saved I can feel another shoe shopping expidition coming on lol x

Bobinovich
23-Sep-07, 13:03
Erm, the shoe leather might be a bit tough on the teeth LOL!

Thumper
23-Sep-07, 18:55
LMAO bobinovich!Yes the shoe leather would be a bit hard on the teeth but I would never waste a good pair of shoes by chewing on them :eek: that would be sacriledge!At the end of the day a good pair of shoes will last me way longer than the good(or maybe not so good?) steak would...no contest there really eh? x

toby11
05-Oct-07, 11:57
Last few time we have been there this year is hasn't been good. Food poor and service deplorable. Most items on menu seemed to be frozen rather than fresh. Won't be hurrying back.

northener
05-Oct-07, 12:50
I'm sure everyone has different experiences when they go out for a meal.

But, we had the Upper Deck recommended to us when we first moved up here a few years ago. Personally, I thought it was abysmal, 1970's decor and overpriced indifferent meals.

I believe that they've refurbished the place now - is this correct?

Anybody got anything positive to say about the meals now?

Welcomefamily
07-Oct-07, 23:30
I agree, I went to the Wey Inn last Friday lunch time, It was awful, the few chips were green, it was not good.

outsider
08-Oct-07, 23:00
The service was terrible...thats maybe because I'm not working there anymore:lol:

I think the large fillet is £29.95 last time I checked unless it has gone up again...which hopefully it hasn't.

The puddings are getting better, there is more homemade puds compared to the frozen ones that they used to buy in. You should try the banoffee pie its amazing!

I think that the Upper Deck is poorly run in my eyes and also require older members of staff.

Cookerpebble
09-Oct-07, 19:18
I find the few good places to eat are the more expensive ones, like the captains galley. There is nowhere now, not just up here, where you can get a good pub meal at a good price. Everything is frozen and overpriced.
We went to charlie chans in Thurso on Sunday and had the Sunday 'Buffet', where your dishes are cooked to order and you can order all that you want (off a limited menu) I've never felt so full, its a shame it wasn't busier.

It is hard to find older staff when all they'll get paid is min wage for antisocial hours and poor if any tips. Did you know that if you put tips on a credit card then the employer can use those tips as part of the employees wage, ie the tips count as wages so there is no bonus for the staff and the employer doesn't have to fork out, if in doubt leave cash (if they deserve it).

outsider
09-Oct-07, 23:17
I know at the uper deck that if a tip went on2 the card it wud b taken out of the till bcos if it hadnt been taken out then when they cash up at the end there would be too much money and it wud hav gone in the tip jar anyway.

theone
12-Oct-07, 01:14
Went to the upper deck a few weeks ago, it was good, but really not worth the price.

£30 for a large fillet (£POA on the menu) is simply too much.

There's no more than £12 worth of meat there based on what I buy in bews.

£18 for my seat, some chips and onion rings???????

They're riding on their reputation.

anneoctober
24-Oct-07, 19:43
Friday 19th October : 10 adults 6 kids had the whole of lefthand dining room to ourselves. Bar area dining room 2 adults all evening. I think that speaks volumes about the food & service. We were given the wrong steaks , served on cold plates with cold veg and everyone's steak was dry from the "rare" to "well done" :eek:. Our family came up from Edinburgh for this happy occasion and were very disappointed with the meal etc ( more so, for our sakes, as we were footing the bill - £300's worth ). It did n't help that our son was born & bred here and knew the "Upper Deck" in it's heyday - set aside the fact that he IS a chef and runs his own restaurant.
I did n't complain at the time, as it takes a wee while to think it all through ( I AM blonde!) However a letter of complaint will be winging it's way to the manager by tomorrow. Anyone thinking of going there, my advice would be - DON'T ![disgust]

anneoctober
01-Nov-07, 23:34
Just an update from my previous post. I duly sent in my letter of complaint and today I received a 'phone call from Scotty Youngson, the manager. He was very apologetic and had talked to his staff etc. Geo & I have been invited in to meet him , and discuss the points made by us.
WELL DONE Scotty, I was really impressed by his personal touch and he clearly is very concerned that the Upper Deck should regain it's reputation. Will keep you all posted. Anne x

gem1982
05-Nov-07, 02:11
We used to quite frequently dine in the upperdeck whether it be on a special occasion or just maybe the odd night that i couldnt be bothered cooking - Now I dont ever go there! There are excellent dining pplaces in Thurso which are far cheaper and more tasteful than the Upperdeck - i cant see past the park hotel at the moment - the food is gorgeous and very reasonably priced for what you get!

Since they decorated the place must have been nearly 3 years ago now they have well upped their prices and it seems that the locals are footing the decorating bill! The food has also went well downhill! It used to be they literally got a slab of meat and cut the portions up themselves so you would get a very good sized steak for your money which used to be about £18 for a large fillet which for the size of your steak you didnt mind paying! Now the steaks come in precut apparently so they are a fraction of the size of what they ised to be for well over the amount of money from previous years!

A large fillet is now apparently £35 and no bigger than what you would have got years ago for a medium sized fillet!!! I was there maybe 18 months ago and ordered a medium fillet and then they brought it out and it was quite literally tiny! i had a word with the head waitress who was very apologetic and took it back and came out with an extra bit which was a bit more acceptable for the price!

Years ago you used to have a lot of trouble boking a table for special occasions like xmas eve or valentines night or whatever now you might as well stroll in cos it is hardly ever fully booked now so it seems.

Whilst I have heard good things about their mexican nights and curry nights etc it would seem to make good sense from the proprietor to return the restaurant to its former self and that is a good old fashioned steakhouse which is reasonably priced for what you get and on overall excellent dining experience!

Debbie1984
05-Nov-07, 14:14
Over the years I have gone to the Upper Deck for dinner/valentine's day/odd night we can't be bothered cooking and I have to say I have never had a bad meal, honestly. Recently I've been hearing mixed reports but thought I would try it last weekend anyway and it was fantastic.  We both had starters and steaks and a few drinks each and the bill was £50. I was really impressed as I thought it would be more. The food was beautiful and we couldn't fault the service.

In my personal opinion, the Upper Deck has not gone downhill at all, everytime I go there it gets better.

anneoctober
09-Feb-08, 23:08
Just an update from my previous post. I duly sent in my letter of complaint and today I received a 'phone call from Scotty Youngson, the manager. He was very apologetic and had talked to his staff etc. Geo & I have been invited in to meet him , and discuss the points made by us.
WELL DONE Scotty, I was really impressed by his personal touch and he clearly is very concerned that the Upper Deck should regain it's reputation. Will keep you all posted. Anne x

This is the "updated update" !!
Tonight Geo & I went to the Upper Deck to celebrate being married for 34 years 1 day ( long story!) What an amazing difference, the atmosphere was warm & friendly, as were all the waitress', there were loads of people in, which added to the ambience. Plates were cold for salad starters and nice & hot for the main. The portions were large, loads of different veggies, steak yummy and cooked perfectly. I'm ashamed to say I could n't finish the plateful I got :o. What a difference to our visit last October, mixed ages of customers, everyone was asked if their meal was ok, could they help in any way. Absolutely first class, now I would highly recommend The Upper Deck for it's food , service and the warmth of welcome from the staff. :D Anne xx

karia
09-Feb-08, 23:22
This is the "updated update" !!
Tonight Geo & I went to the Upper Deck to celebrate being married for 34 years 1 day ( long story!) What an amazing difference, the atmosphere was warm & friendly, as were all the waitress', there were loads of people in, which added to the ambience. Plates were cold for salad starters and nice & hot for the main. The portions were large, loads of different veggies, steak yummy and cooked perfectly. I'm ashamed to say I could n't finish the plateful I got . What a difference to our visit last October, mixed ages of customers, everyone was asked if their meal was ok, could they help in any way. Absolutely first class, now I would highly recommend The Upper Deck for it's food , service and the warmth of welcome from the staff. Anne xx

Constructive criticism at it's best Anne!

We will give it another chance this year (thanks purely to you!) after it being sadly lacking on our last (and only) 2 previous visits.

We're not really going to travel hundreds of miles to eat 'so so' food..especially if advised in advance...

..but will listen to my mates.:D

(I'd never have found my fave Eaterie in Inverness without Buggyracer);)

mandy&baz
27-Feb-08, 22:55
the upper deck is ttl over rated!! the food aint fantastic and its totally over priced

mums angels
27-Feb-08, 23:07
was at the uperdeck with some friends last week and actually enjoyed my meal very much ,had heard how expensive the prices were and was plesantly surprised that my medium steak was £17 odd and the large was £21 odd that was sirloin and the fillet was about £2 more so nowwhere near the £30 odd pounds i'd been quoted . my starter was all of £2.75, pudding i think was around the £ 4.50 mark and in total my part of bill was £30 including drinks.

for 5 adults , 3 courses each with drinks all round etc bill was £140, sounds reasnoble to me and our waitress kept us amused and made sure we were all happy ,couldn't have been nicer .