PDA

View Full Version : Buddleia

cuddlepop
17-Sep-07, 20:07
was lucky eneogh to pick up some small plants,looks like they've been self sown from the parent plant.
the soil was very gritty almost like an old drive.
Whats the best soil type to plant them in?
Should I try to bring them on a bit more in the house over the winter or can I plant straight outside.?

Its a beautiful plant and I just love the way they attract the butterflies.:D

Mother Bear
17-Sep-07, 21:38
Strange enough , I too found some self sown seeds from a buddleja last week! I have just planted them in small pots in ordinary compost, and will leave them either in the unheated greenhouse , or coldframe outside, until they have grown a bit more before 'planting out ' in their required position. Not saying this is correct, but it is what I have done. Is the parent plant nearby? the common purple one? The ones I found were near a pink and a purple shrub, so I am hoping to get at least one pink one out of the four! Ok I know I could take cuttings to be sure, and I have already done so, but not all my cuttings are succesful! I look after a very large garden so have plenty of room for a number of shrubs! At least they are hardy to Caithness, and as you say they attract so many butterflies. Someone also gave me two cuttings of the Buddleja Globosa, a plant I have always wanted, it has small orange ball flowers, so I am looking after them with great care!
Good luck with your plants!

Anne x
18-Sep-07, 00:36
I had amazing Budlea in Thurso and they just thrived grew to a enourmous height and attracted loads of butterflies

cuddlepop
18-Sep-07, 09:03
Strange enough , I too found some self sown seeds from a buddleja last week! I have just planted them in small pots in ordinary compost, and will leave them either in the unheated greenhouse , or coldframe outside, until they have grown a bit more before 'planting out ' in their required position. Not saying this is correct, but it is what I have done. Is the parent plant nearby? the common purple one? The ones I found were near a pink and a purple shrub, so I am hoping to get at least one pink one out of the four! Ok I know I could take cuttings to be sure, and I have already done so, but not all my cuttings are succesful! I look after a very large garden so have plenty of room for a number of shrubs! At least they are hardy to Caithness, and as you say they attract so many butterflies. Someone also gave me two cuttings of the Buddleja Globosa, a plant I have always wanted, it has small orange ball flowers, so I am looking after them with great care!
Good luck with your plants!

Think thats what I'll do too.
I found them in an old estate yard in Broadford,think there just the commom purple plant.The flowers on the parent plant had died off but I think they were purple.
Fingers crossed.

Liz
18-Sep-07, 14:05
Am I right in thinking that Buddleia should be hard pruned in Spring?

Sadly mine didn't flower so good this year. Well it flowered but they went brown quickly. Probably due to all the rain!:(
Didn't see any butterflies either whereas last year there were masses on the Buddleia.

nannydip
18-Sep-07, 18:59
Some of the bigger buddlejas are also better pruned after flowering as it helps prevent wind damage to the long stems over the winter.

Liz
18-Sep-07, 20:05
Some of the bigger buddlejas are also better pruned after flowering as it helps prevent wind damage to the long stems over the winter.

Thanks for the advice!:D