PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions !

scaraben
17-Sep-07, 12:39
I have vista operating programme and I can't find out how to go about transferring some pictures on to a portable data storage stick from my computer. Can someone give me step-by-step instruction please ? And..................................
2. Is it possible to change a word document into JPEG Format ???

NickInTheNorth
17-Sep-07, 13:44
assuming the portable data storage stick is USB then plug it into a usb port. It should then appear in "My Computer" simply either "drag and drop" or "cut and paste" the required pictures from the original location into the memory stick and you done.

As to word to jpeg, technically it is possible. You may well need to download something to help, some pointers on this page http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,1000000375,39188810s,00.htm

It would nearly always be better to convert to a pdf file. Depending on the length of the word documement it may be easiest to simply do a screen capture and save that as a jpeg

Rheghead
17-Sep-07, 14:10
2. Is it possible to change a word document into JPEG Format ???

I remember some years ago that if I opened up a MSword document using MSPublisher then it either converted it into a jpeg automatically or there was a function that did it.

scaraben
17-Sep-07, 14:44
Hi NickInTheNorth .... Thanks for your helpful advice. The data storeage stick IS IN FACT USB I plugged it into the USB port and opened up "My Computer" where I saw the only likely icon "Removeable disc F" I then tried dragging & Cut & paste, but on both occasions a window appeared thus: "Remove the right-protection or use another disc" ? Scaraben.

Mr_Me19
17-Sep-07, 17:02
Look on the side of the USB card. Is there a little switch? If so turn it off. That will take care of the write protection.

As for saving as an image. Try googling for Microsoft Office Document Image Writer.

scaraben
17-Sep-07, 23:28
Did anyone ever tell you you were clever ? !!! Found the little switch and got my photo transferred from one PC to another. Now............
How do I empty the stick ? I mean, will the photo still be in there ? OR .... will once transferred to my other computer leave the stick empty ?

Mr_Me19
18-Sep-07, 07:42
If you cut and paste it will NOT be on the USB card anymore.
If you copied and pasted then it WILL be on the USB card.
If you clicked and dragged from one window to another it will NOT be on the USB card. *

An easy way to tell if it is still there is to just go to My Computer --> USB Drive and see if the file is still there.

*This only occurs when transfering between two different drives.

scaraben
18-Sep-07, 11:20
Thanks for your help thus far, greatly appreciated. I stuck my stick back into the USB Port clicked "My Computer" and the appropriate icon and up came my picture again. Seems its still on the stick. NOW ....... How do I clear it off ??

NickInTheNorth
18-Sep-07, 11:29
Thanks for your help thus far, greatly appreciated. I stuck my stick back into the USB Port clicked "My Computer" and the appropriate icon and up came my picture again. Seems its still on the stick. NOW ....... How do I clear it off ??

click on it to select it, then hit the delete button (the one on your keyboard)...

(should do the trick)

Niall Fernie
18-Sep-07, 13:36
I had the same problem removing songs from an mp3 player. So you may also have to correctly remove the USB sitck from windows before you physically remove it from your PC. This will ensure that all read/write operations are properly completed before removal. Look for a new icon appearing in your system tray (next to the clock) when you plug in the stick, clicking this icon should give you an option to "safely remove device" or similar.

Niall Fernie
18-Sep-07, 13:41
Also, quick and dirty method from turning a word doc into a jpeg, do a print preview of the doc in word, hit the "print screen" button on your keyboard. This copies the entire screen to the clipboard and then it can be pasted into your fav graphics/photo program, usually in the "edit" menu (you may have to create a new image to paste into or it may have the option to "paste as new image"). Then you can crop away the unwanted parts of the screenshot leaving your word doc ready to be saved as a jpeg.

scaraben
18-Sep-07, 22:31
When I gave this thread a title I called it "Two questions" what I didn't say was that that should read : "22 Questions" !!!!!!!!! But you guys have been most helpful to me so I thank you all sincerely.

Mr_Me19
19-Sep-07, 07:38
I'm sure I speak for all of us here when I say: No probs!!

Anything else we can help you with?

scaraben
19-Sep-07, 12:20
Aye can ye len me a tenner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!