PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Bands in Skinandi's..!!!!

weebear_07
16-Sep-07, 08:59
My 2 elderly neighbours were keen to go & watch the Thurso & Caithness Junior Pipe Bands parading on Princes St. last night. Because of the rain they thought it would be called off, but I was glad to inform them that it states on the advertising banners that in the case of bad weather it will be in Skinandi's. "How much to get in"?, "it's free"!!
They were also keen to go last night as it was the last Street Parade & the collection was being donated to the Junior Band. I said it was really generous of the owners of Skinandi's to give the use of the venue free of charge.
Anyway, they noticed that compared to the Street, there wasn't a very good turn out? When they felt "obliged" to buy a drink they found out why!! 2 spirits & a can of coke was £6.00!!!! They could have bought a bottle to take home for £6.99 & it was £1.40 for the can of coke alone (costs about 25p).
I now feel bad as I encouraged them to go last night. Little wonder there was a bad turn out?? I bet the band's collection would be well down too? Only one winner I think, guess who....?????? Nothing for nothing springs to mind. Not as if there was a lot of staff or bouncers needed.
A shame that their night was soured in this way as they thought the bands were fantastic & that it was great to see so many youngsters involved.
I think, like most other people, they will stick to the Street Parades & give the indoor version a miss from now on?
A shame for the bands at the end of the day. :(

Royster1911
16-Sep-07, 09:46
When I watch the Pipe Band from outside the Pentland Hotel, I NEVER feel oblidged to go in and buy a drink! I am not a champion of the Cardosis (see previous threads) but giving up your premises to a group free of charge seems sound to me.

the_big_mac
16-Sep-07, 14:40
Nobody was there forcing anyone to have a drink. Someone needs to be there who is responsible for the place while the public filter in and out.

It makes sense for said person to have the bar available to those who want a drink.

Seems you just fancy having a go for no particular reason whatsoever.

tenabowla
16-Sep-07, 14:49
Cardosi knows how to butter his bread, the best paying customers would be visiting his other establishment shortly after the performance. Doodle sacs and all

moncur
16-Sep-07, 16:57
I bet if skinandis wasnt made available to the pipe band for if there was bad weather then you'd be on here posting a thread saying,

"moan, moan, moan, why doesn't he let the pipe band play in there?"

Brian's a nice enough guy, many a time did he let my band practice there through the week, free of charge (if you see the equipment we used you'd realise that electricity wasn't cheap!).

From a business point of view, it makes sense to open the bar if theres people standing on the other side of the bar. Staff are there to look after the place, he needs to cover the cost of employing them for the time the band are playing, electricity etc.

Also, doesn't he sponsor the pipe band? (not too sure bout that but im sure i've seen banners up in the square advertising the pipe band with his business on it).

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Sep-07, 11:47
My 2 elderly neighbours were keen to go & watch the Thurso & Caithness Junior Pipe Bands parading on Princes St. last night. Because of the rain they thought it would be called off, but I was glad to inform them that it states on the advertising banners that in the case of bad weather it will be in Skinandi's. "How much to get in"?, "it's free"!!
They were also keen to go last night as it was the last Street Parade & the collection was being donated to the Junior Band. I said it was really generous of the owners of Skinandi's to give the use of the venue free of charge.
Anyway, they noticed that compared to the Street, there wasn't a very good turn out? When they felt "obliged" to buy a drink they found out why!! 2 spirits & a can of coke was £6.00!!!! They could have bought a bottle to take home for £6.99 & it was £1.40 for the can of coke alone (costs about 25p).
I now feel bad as I encouraged them to go last night. Little wonder there was a bad turn out?? I bet the band's collection would be well down too? Only one winner I think, guess who....?????? Nothing for nothing springs to mind. Not as if there was a lot of staff or bouncers needed.
A shame that their night was soured in this way as they thought the bands were fantastic & that it was great to see so many youngsters involved.
I think, like most other people, they will stick to the Street Parades & give the indoor version a miss from now on?

It's just as well you didn't ask for a bag of ice to take home with you.

angela5
17-Sep-07, 13:52
There would be something said if the bar was closed.

Ash
17-Sep-07, 13:58
i dont see what the big deal is

they didnt have to buy anything and if they wanted a drink whats wrong with a glass of water or just a soft drink, could you imagine if it was closed, you would be complaining that there was nothing to drink but it is possible to go into a bar and have a non alcoholic drink

weebear_07
17-Sep-07, 16:36
So none of you have ever felt "obliged" to buy something from a shop, chinese, garage etc etc if you have had to go in to the said premises to ask to use the toilet then? I know I have.
It was a pub/bar surrounding to a couple of pensioners who don't get out much.
My point anyway, was about the prices being night club prices at 8pm!! You think £1.40 & over is ok for a soft drink? Or the equivalent of nearly £60 for a bottle of spirits. (26 x £2.30)
People tend to vote with their feet, so I'm sure it's not just me who thinks this!! What other reasons would keep the usually large crowds down to around a third or even a quarter of what's usually on the street, every time. Most of the people who do turn up inside are mostly parents or close friends of the band members & dancers!!!
There always seems to be an excellent crowd when they play in the Legion!! Prices?????
Just to clarify again, my point IS about the prices, NOT about the free venue, & NOT Mr Cardosi personally. There, that should save a few of the High & Mighty feeling the need to reply again. [lol]

changilass
17-Sep-07, 16:48
I would imagine the tills are set up so you press one button for say half a larger and another for the seperate spirits, this is for ease of use and also stocktaking.

Are you suggesting that he should change his tills on the off chance that the weather is bad and he is being charitable in allowing folks into his premises so they dont get wet

Get real, it IS a nightclub, no matter what time of day it is, if you don't want to pay the prices stay away.

the_big_mac
17-Sep-07, 17:06
So none of you have ever felt "obliged" to buy something from a shop, chinese, garage etc etc if you have had to go in to the said premises to ask to use the toilet then? I know I have.
It was a pub/bar surrounding to a couple of pensioners who don't get out much.
My point anyway, was about the prices being night club prices at 8pm!! You think £1.40 & over is ok for a soft drink? Or the equivalent of nearly £60 for a bottle of spirits. (26 x £2.30)
People tend to vote with their feet, so I'm sure it's not just me who thinks this!! What other reasons would keep the usually large crowds down to around a third or even a quarter of what's usually on the street, every time. Most of the people who do turn up inside are mostly parents or close friends of the band members & dancers!!!
There always seems to be an excellent crowd when they play in the Legion!! Prices?????
Just to clarify again, my point IS about the prices, NOT about the free venue, & NOT Mr Cardosi personally. There, that should save a few of the High & Mighty feeling the need to reply again. [lol]

Seems you dont get out much yourself. Outside of private member clubs you'll find that that is the going rate for a couple of drinks. Particularly if you choose to avoid the 25p a dash mixers for a can!

And yes, £2.30 for a nip, therefore 60 bucks a bottle is quite normal too. Pubs that are not subsidized by members fee's HAVE to turn a profit in order to stay open.

Me thinks you need to either stay confined to the RBL, Thurso Club, wherever or get out a bit and realize there is a whole other word out side of it.

kitty
17-Sep-07, 19:33
"QUOTE" My 2 elderly neighbours were keen to go & watch the Thurso & Caithness Junior Pipe Bands parading on Princes St. last night. Because of the rain they thought it would be called off, but I was glad to inform them that it states on the advertising banners that in the case of bad weather it will be in Skinandi's. "How much to get in"?, "it's free"!!

My reply is reguarding the above comment, It is not £2.30 a nip it is £2.00 a nip of Vodka, then £1.40 for a can of coke as apposed to 40p for a dash of coke. As for the band turn out, most people were probably not aware the pipe band would have been playing inside due to the bad weather and rather than stand out in the rain decided to stay at home. I bet if you were to ask most people weither they would prefer to stand out side regardless the weather or be inside somewhere nice and warm the majority of people would opt for being inside. Also as to regards the staff, the staff were in anyway preparing the nightclub for an event that evening so they weren't taken in especially for the pipe band. I totally agree with everyone else plenty of people would have plenty to say if the bar wasn't open and no one is obliged to buy a drink at all. Skinandis also provides bottles of water free.
At least the band had somewhere to play, i didn't see any other venu opening the doors free and allowing the band to play for free.

moncur
17-Sep-07, 19:50

Times have changed ma dear! not only has the UK won both world wars, we have colour TV, we have pounds and pence instead of shillings, half crowns and thrupenny bits. We've also had inflation aswell, so the price of everything has gone up over the last 50 years!

I've gone into skins to watch bands many a time and never felt obliged to buy a drink, especially when driving, I just ask for a bottle of water which is FREE! Do you honestly think the Skinandis staff have nothing better to do than give dirty deeks til 'e cheapskate ower there whos no buyin a drink?

lagertops
17-Sep-07, 20:43
Can you tell me were i will get a bottle for £6.99?Do they do spiced Rum

SEB
18-Sep-07, 09:14

I think this is being a bit unfair. Skinandi's has always been used as a back-up for the band in the event of bad weather to allow them to continue playing for the public and tourists and to avoid having to cancel performances. I was there on Saturday night and I certainly didn't feel "obliged" to buy a drink of any sorts!! Skinandi's are giving their premises free of charge to the band/s and simpy providing both the band/s and public shelter in adverse weather, therefore I think it's unfair to shed bad light on them in this way - as the saying goes - "you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't" springs to mind here!

SEB
18-Sep-07, 09:23
(QUOTE) People tend to vote with their feet, so I'm sure it's not just me who thinks this!! What other reasons would keep the usually large crowds down to around a third or even a quarter of what's usually on the street, every time.

Possibly due to the fact that it's pouring down with rain so a lot of people decide to stay at home?!!!

(QUOTE)There always seems to be an excellent crowd when they play in the Legion!! Prices?????

The band doesn't play in the Legion when they can't parade on the street due to bad weather?

lagertops
18-Sep-07, 09:24
Take a wee dram in your handbag next time.