PDA

View Full Version : Ten things that babycare freaks will tell you

Rheghead
16-Sep-07, 01:53
1. Bottle feeding is bad for your baby.
2. Sterilising stainless steel will poison your baby.
3. The coldest part of a fridge is on the top shelf so put the milk there or you are creating a biological hazard for your baby.
4. Using bottle milk that is 1.0000000001 hours old will kill your baby.
5. Do not swap from one make of milk to another as it can lead to death.
6. Do not microwave milk as the hotspots that are created will scald your baby's gullet.
7. Do not use biological washing powder as will can lead to an instant allergic reaction and death.
8. Do not fill a baby bath too full as it can lead to drowning.
9. Never use a tissue or toilet paper on a baby's skin because it can take their skin off.
10. Never use your personal judgement or you will be hung from a gibbet and your baby will be given to gypsies.

:eek:[para]

Snarfer
16-Sep-07, 02:03
Heard on the radio today that years ago people used to hold there babies over the gas cooker to help get them to sleep.

Metalattakk
16-Sep-07, 02:55
Well obviously it would be easier than half-smothering them with pillows, I suppose...

rockchick
16-Sep-07, 08:12
Thought I'd heard every horror story regarding raising kids, but most of these are new. Wherever did you read this, rheghead?

The microwave one has a bit of truth to it tho...if you heat your baby's milk by microwave you should shake the bottle well, and then test the heat by shaking a drop on the inside of your wrist, to make certain its safe. Microwaves don't heat evenly unfortunately!

canuck
16-Sep-07, 08:37
Calm down Rheghead. You have never listened to the advise of freaks before. Don't start listening now. Much, of what you have written has some truth to it. Like rockchick writes, there are hot pockets created when milk is microwaved. But that applies to adult food as well as baby formula. I have no idea what the issue is with sterilizing stainless steel.

If you are concerned, there are lots of experienced parents in the org family who would gladly offer you some words of wisdom from their own experience.

Royster1911
16-Sep-07, 09:52
Damn.....I knew I got it wrong.:cool:

WeeBurd
16-Sep-07, 11:32
3. The coldest part of a fridge is on the top shelf so put the milk there or you are creating a biological hazard for your baby.
6. Do not microwave milk as the hotspots that are created will scald your baby's gullet.
7. Do not use biological washing powder as will can lead to an instant allergic reaction and death.
9. Never use a tissue or toilet paper on a baby's skin because it can take their skin off.
10. Never use your personal judgement or you will be hung from a gibbet and your baby will be given to gypsies.

Now Rheghead, they only tell you these things if they actually turn up for their pre-arranged appointment with you :lol:!

May I add, in reference to no.8, my two both adored deep baths, and still do - they're far more cosy, and they get to wriggle and kick to their hearts content (maybe that's a good tip for anyone with babies who hate regular baths?).

brandy
16-Sep-07, 11:47
dont forget.. never ever rock your baby to sleep.. you have to let them know that their bed is where they sleep from birth, and if you rock them to sleep in your arms occasionaly then they will never ever sleep on their own *rolls eyes*

Ash
16-Sep-07, 12:16
dont forget.. never ever rock your baby to sleep.. you have to let them know that their bed is where they sleep from birth, and if you rock them to sleep in your arms occasionaly then they will never ever sleep on their own *rolls eyes*

a friend of mine did this for about a year, they had a screaming baby when it came to bed time, and no one wanted to look after their wee one as all he did was cry as he expected to be rocked to sleep:eek:

golach
16-Sep-07, 12:26
Now this is going too far[disgust]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolpda/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_3869000/3869349.stm

squidge
16-Sep-07, 15:50

Rheghead - that is fantastic lol and had me laughing out loud. others include..... Dont ever give a breast fed baby a bottle offormula as they will never ever breast feed again........ Dont ever give a baby a dummy asthey will still be sucking it when they are 27 years old if they havent died from the germs on it..... Never use bubble bath in the bath as your baby will intantly suffer from exzema......... Weaning your child before they are 6 months old will lead tot hem being as fat as a piggy and being taken into care because you cant keep them thin!!!!!

Heaven save me from zealots of any description!!!!

Rheghead
16-Sep-07, 16:37
Rheghead - that is fantastic lol and had me laughing out loud. others include..... Dont ever give a breast fed baby a bottle offormula as they will never ever breast feed again........ Dont ever give a baby a dummy asthey will still be sucking it when they are 27 years old if they havent died from the germs on it..... Never use bubble bath in the bath as your baby will intantly suffer from exzema......... Weaning your child before they are 6 months old will lead tot hem being as fat as a piggy and being taken into care because you cant keep them thin!!!!!

Heaven save me from zealots of any description!!!!

I knew I had forgotten a couple more!:D

Lindsay
16-Sep-07, 17:06
Oh my god how funny are some of those!!!!!!

Julia
16-Sep-07, 20:22

Breast is best!
Why would anyone use anything made of stainless steel to feed a baby?
No need for a fridge if breast feeding
Babies under 12 months old should not be given cows milk as a drink
See 1 and 3
Microwaving is fine as long as shaken well and tested
Using non-bio for baby's delicate skin is just common sense
Over-filling a bath won't lead to drowning, leaving a baby unattended will
That's what baby wipes are for but nothing wrong with a tissue!
Unless you have experience, personal judgement may be wrong

Rheghead
16-Sep-07, 21:20
Breast is best!
See 1 and 3

[lol][lol] well done!

Anne x
16-Sep-07, 23:41
what can one say what did they do before and we all survived well some of us !!! long before baby wipes napisan etc etc etc ---- good thread though

Rheghead
17-Sep-07, 08:21
Breast is best!

That is possibly a quote from the babycare zealot's bible. Though I recognise that there is some statistical evidence to suggest that breastfeeding has some health benefits to a child's health, it isn't very clear that failing to do so will necessarily harm an individual child. There are lots of babies from the baby boom period who are bottle fed and are perfectly healthy for instance.

However, I do think there is an issue with breastfeeding zealotism within the health service, particularly in those cases where breastfeeding is not suitable for those mothers who can't or it will cause health problems for those that do. I know of one case whereby a mother was forced down the breastfeeding route (with the full encouragement and approval of midwives and health visitors) who wasn't suitable and this resulted in hospitable treatment as a result. The current climate of breastfeeding zealotism has blinded those givers of advice to the alternatives and hence they are ill-equipped to give advice on bottle feeding. Apart from that, mothers who are bottle-feeding their babies are left feeling depressed because they are made to feel that they aren't doing enough for their child and hence they are out of the loop of the breastfeeding support groups. (There are no bottlefeeding support groups within Highland and the suggetion of setting one up was met with a derisory response because it was felt that it would detract mothers from breastfeeding.) Not a good start when they are vulnerable to post natal depression, me thinks[evil]

To clarify, I had the emergency occasion to sterilise some bottles in a stainless steel bowl, the response from the health visitor(after phoning round all and sundry) was that stainless steel will poison the baby. I gritted my teeth and said nothing, I know that milton doesn't have a corrosive effect on stainless steel but who am I to say, I'm just an industrial chemist with years of experience of boiling up stainless steel in acids! lol

Yes you do. And apart from that, the bottom of the fridge (in the door) is the coldest part of a fridge, not the top shelf.

This perfectly applies to the babycare zealots. Like us all, they need life experience and some don't have any yet they are told to sing from the hymn sheet that is laid out in front of them without any attention to the variable needs of real mothers who are bringing up children.

There is no room for common sense.

Thumper
17-Sep-07, 08:37
I have to agree with Rheghead about the breast feeding it, yes it is very good for baby BUT not everyone can do it.I was more or less forced into it(encouraged they say) and remember being given painkillers every 4 hours just so I could let my baby latch on,it got to the stage that everytime I saw a midwife coming near me with a screaming hungry baby I was terrified!I was in so much pain that the whole ordeal was terrible for me and baby and I ended up with severe post natal depression x

Lolabelle
17-Sep-07, 08:45
That is possibly a quote from the babycare zealot's bible. Though I recognise that there is some statistical evidence to suggest that breastfeeding has some health benefits to a child's health, it isn't very clear that failing to do so will necessarily harm an individual child. There are lots of babies from the baby boom period who are bottle fed and are perfectly healthy for instance.

However, I do think there is an issue with breastfeeding zealotism within the health service, particularly in those cases where breastfeeding is not suitable for those mothers who can't or it will cause health problems for those that do. I know of one case whereby a mother was forced down the breastfeeding route (with the full encouragement and approval of midwives and health visitors) who wasn't suitable and this resulted in hospitable treatment as a result. The current climate of breastfeeding zealotism has blinded those givers of advice to the alternatives and hence they are ill-equipped to give advice on bottle feeding. Apart from that, mothers who are bottle-feeding their babies are left feeling depressed because they are made to feel that they aren't doing enough for their child and hence they are out of the loop of the breastfeeding support groups. (There are no bottlefeeding support groups within Highland and the suggetion of setting one up was met with a derisory response because it was felt that it would detract mothers from breastfeeding.) Not a good start when they are vulnerable to post natal depression, me thinks[evil]

I agree, my sister was put under so much pressure to breast feed that she stressed so much she lost her milk. My mum took the baby and gave her a bottle, problem solved. With her second baby, she had no trouble at all.

Yes you do. And apart from that, the bottom of the fridge (in the door) is the coldest part of a fridge, not the top shelf.

I don't think that the bottom of the fridge or door is the coldest, though logically it should be. But I have had things go mouldy in the door at the bottom while another of the same last longer in the shelves at the top. Also my cans of diet coke are always colder on the top shelf, than in the door????? Just my observation of my own fridge.
.................................................. .................................................. ....

I am just writing down here, cause the thingo said my message was too short when I just wrote in between the quoted bit. :eek:

Rheghead
17-Sep-07, 10:40
I was more or less forced into it(encouraged they say) and remember being given painkillers every 4 hours just so I could let my baby latch on,it got to the stage that everytime I saw a midwife coming near me with a screaming hungry baby I was terrified!I was in so much pain that the whole ordeal was terrible for me and baby and I ended up with severe post natal depression x

I am sorry to hear that, I am also surprised that you were 'allowed' to take painkillers and still breastfeed. Whether it is bunkum or no but mrs rheg was told that the painkillers can be passed on through the milk and harm the child, but even if painkillers can be passed on will they harm the baby? It could be another example of what is the subject of this thread?:confused IOW another example of creating a climate of fear when child care should be a happy and rewarding experience?

numptyboy
17-Sep-07, 10:57
I must admit 1st baby................sterlise everything including daddy!!!!!
By the time your on your 3rd or 4th babies they can do everything themselves as the panic of being a parent is over

Thumper
17-Sep-07, 11:23
Yes Reghead I was under the same impression that the painkillers would be harmful for the baby but they assured me at the time they wouldn't....although I did question whether they would have been so keen to give me painkillers if it wasn't just to allow me to breastfeed?At the end of the day although I felt a failure for failing to feed for more than a couple of weeks I can now look back and realise that both me and baby were happier once I had the guts to say "I can't do this anymore" although by the time I managed to satand up formyself the depression had taken a hold....I am not saying I wouldn't have suffered from it anyway but I feel that the stress from painful feeding really didn't help :( x

Ash
17-Sep-07, 13:15
I have to agree with Rheghead about the breast feeding it, yes it is very good for baby BUT not everyone can do it.I was more or less forced into it(encouraged they say) and remember being given painkillers every 4 hours just so I could let my baby latch on,it got to the stage that everytime I saw a midwife coming near me with a screaming hungry baby I was terrified!I was in so much pain that the whole ordeal was terrible for me and baby and I ended up with severe post natal depression x

my little girl was 3months early, 5mins after i woke up from my emergency c-section i was handed a syringe and told to try and get some milk out! i had barely woken up, and was in shock, i was given a dirty look when i told the nurse i couldnt, eventually when i could they were at me every spare second i had with a mechincal scary looking pump telling me try, i did it that much i started to bleed. not eveyone can do and it depends on ur situation i would have loved to but with having a prem baby it wasnt easy:~(

NickInTheNorth
17-Sep-07, 13:36
I don't think that "breast is best" is just baby care zealotry. The evidence is quite overwhelming that it genuinely is BEST. However it most certainly is not the only option. For many many reasons some mothers cannot for either physical, emotional or practical reasons breast feed. I completely agree that they should be given equal support of those mothers fortunate enough to be able to breastfeed.

I think many of the problems around that issue are to do with the enormous amount of societal pressure (parents etc in particular) brought to bear on new and inexperienced mothers. The numerous comments about it being "unnatural" for a mother to breastfeed their baby. Restaurants, shops and other publisc spaces where they will not accept mothers breast feeding in public. It really is a crazy situation.

But with regard to many of the other points made, it really is a case of mother knows best. Even with a first child I am a firm believer that parents that really listen to their babies needs and ignore virtually every word written about bringing up the "standard" baby in the literature are the parents most likely to succeed in bringing up a contented baby.

The only good manual written on caring for your baby is already installed on the hard drive. Listen to the baby, every cry tells it's own story. Listen to them. Then respond. And if the infants is sufficiently fed, clean and dry, obviously not ill, then there is absolutely nothing wrong in letting him or her cry for a while. We are great believers in allowing the bay to cry. So far the longest any child of ours has ever cried is 25 minutes.

Babies learn very quickly! If every cry results in cuddles and other attention then it turns crying into a very positive action, and baby will cry for longer and longer, and settle less and less easily. If baby learns that crying for no reason brings no reward then they very quickly learn that sleeping, or lying awake playing by them selves quietly is a better option.

happy parenting :)

A very happy well rested 4 times (babycare freak) dad :D

Tristan
17-Sep-07, 13:43
Breast is best!
See 1 and 3

Very sensible advice.

squidge
17-Sep-07, 23:56
I beleive that where you can breastfeed it is best .... But it is not best if it leads to the absolute desperation of the mum or if it isnt the best thing for the mum or the baby. I also dont beleive that the occasional bottle of formula will remove the ability of the baby to breast feed and nor will dummies. And i can say that as a mum who successfully breast fed three babies already and is planning to do so with this baby too. Oh and babies do get thristy too - they need water to drink as well.

The whole milk thing just makes me mad - 1989 and 1990 i have two babies and i am told that they can be given full milk from 6 months old, 1995 and im asked am i aware of the latest information on weaning..... intrigued I ask what that is and suddenly its babies arent allowed full milk til they are 12 months old as "the research" shows a higher incidence of asthma and exzema in babies given full milk under 12 months old. They had to be given "follow on milk" :roll:

Now being suspicious of this sudden change I asked for a copy of the research and was given a copy of the research - guess who funded "the research" - yup baby milk companies..... forgive me if I am a little sceptical here but havent they a vested interest in flogging "follow on milk".

And as for experience - you know your baby 1st time mum or not - if something is wrong trust your own judgement, If you think your baby is ill trust yourself.

The latest thing seems to be baby led weaning......... nothing but breastmilk for 6months then onto solid finger food..... The WHO states that babies thrive best when they are solely breast fed until 6 months old. I think we need to remember that this is the WORLD health organisation and this advice is for the whole world, places where babies are born tiny and where special food for babies is unavialble or there isnt the opportunity to be clean when preparing stuff..... I would be amazed if you can keep a 10lb birth weight baby on milk alone til they are four months never mind 6 months.

The only advice i would add is this - do what works for you, read all the information and choose what fits your life and suits your baby. If something doesnt work for you dont stick at it cos someone or some book says you should - try something else til you find what works for you, co sleeping, allowing baby to cry, cuddling to sleep - find what works for you and your family and if you dont succeed dont worry about trying something different. ITs YOUR baby and as long as you use your common sense - dont try feeding a three month old baby mashed up sausage and chips for instance - follow basic home safety rules - the sort you learn as a girl guide for example then you wont go far wrong. RElax - its supposed to be fun

Rheghead
18-Sep-07, 00:07
Squidge, very sensible advice.:)

karia
18-Sep-07, 00:12
Hi squidge,

Your soon to be new baby is in loving and sensible hands!

karia

WeeBurd
18-Sep-07, 00:27
I beleive that where you can breastfeed it is best .... But it is not best if it leads to the absolute desperation of the mum or if it isnt the best thing for the mum or the baby. I also dont beleive that the occasional bottle of formula will remove the ability of the baby to breast feed and nor will dummies. And i can say that as a mum who successfully breast fed three babies already and is planning to do so with this baby too. Oh and babies do get thristy too - they need water to drink as well.

The whole milk thing just makes me mad - 1989 and 1990 i have two babies and i am told that they can be given full milk from 6 months old, 1995 and im asked am i aware of the latest information on weaning..... intrigued I ask what that is and suddenly its babies arent allowed full milk til they are 12 months old as "the research" shows a higher incidence of asthma and exzema in babies given full milk under 12 months old. They had to be given "follow on milk" :roll:

Now being suspicious of this sudden change I asked for a copy of the research and was given a copy of the research - guess who funded "the research" - yup baby milk companies..... forgive me if I am a little sceptical here but havent they a vested interest in flogging "follow on milk".

And as for experience - you know your baby 1st time mum or not - if something is wrong trust your own judgement, If you think your baby is ill trust yourself.

The latest thing seems to be baby led weaning......... nothing but breastmilk for 6months then onto solid finger food..... The WHO states that babies thrive best when they are solely breast fed until 6 months old. I think we need to remember that this is the WORLD health organisation and this advice is for the whole world, places where babies are born tiny and where special food for babies is unavialble or there isnt the opportunity to be clean when preparing stuff..... I would be amazed if you can keep a 10lb birth weight baby on milk alone til they are four months never mind 6 months.

The only advice i would add is this - do what works for you, read all the information and choose what fits your life and suits your baby. If something doesnt work for you dont stick at it cos someone or some book says you should - try something else til you find what works for you, co sleeping, allowing baby to cry, cuddling to sleep - find what works for you and your family and if you dont succeed dont worry about trying something different. ITs YOUR baby and as long as you use your common sense - dont try feeding a three month old baby mashed up sausage and chips for instance - follow basic home safety rules - the sort you learn as a girl guide for example then you wont go far wrong. RElax - its supposed to be fun

Very wise words, Squidge, oh and good luck for the impending arrival! I love it when they're new and shiny!:lol:

sassylass
18-Sep-07, 01:05

Excellent advice, you've a lucky baby coming. p.s. in case you haven't chosen a name yet, remember Sassylass would be a good choice...rolls off the tongue and she'd never be confused with other classmates . Just an idea ;)

Rheghead
22-Sep-07, 06:44
The evidence is quite overwhelming that it genuinely is BEST.

What the statistics probably don't show is the effect of poverty has on these studies. I'd imagine that poverty would have the greatest impact on the health of a bottle-fed baby than a breast-fed baby since it takes the GDP of a small nation to purchase the equipment and to provide sterile conditions, not to mention the effect that the education of the mother will have on the operation of the gadgetry. Taking this into consideration, the benefits of breast over bottle for could be even more marginal.

squidge
23-Sep-07, 14:18
I think you are right rheghead. I think that given two babies born into the same family if you bottle fed one and breast fed the other then there would be little difference.

In the Uk if you try breast feeding and like it then carry on - if you dont then change to bottle feeding and dont beat yourself up over it. You arent depriving your child nor are you giving them second best. A happy healthy bottle fed baby with a happy healthy bottle feeding mum is a million times better than a happy healthy breast fed baby with a miserable unhappy sore and grumpy mum who is stressing about the whole thing.

Like i said earlier - its supposed to be fun. The worst thing about the breast bottle debate is that it can lead to those who find breast feeding difficult being made to feel like they have somehow failed and that isnt acceptable. Breast feeding always suited me - i found it easy and wonderful and having carted a rather large pair of boobs around with me for most of my life I liked the fact that they were at last being useful!!!! My sister however didnt find it easy and didnt like it - it hurt and it didnt suit her so she bottle fed. Perfectly acceptable if you ask me

helenwyler
23-Sep-07, 15:53
Such good, sound advice squidge, and happy days with your next baby!

I had a dilemma with 'on demand' or four-hourly feeds.

With my first baby, I was lucky enough to get through the cracked, bleeding nipples stage to breast-feed successfully, and fed 'on demand' for the first few weeks....but she seemed to get bad tummy upsets late at night, cried and cried, and couldn't settle at all:(.

Our Health Visitor told us that because I was feeding on demand, sometimes half-hourly, the 'new' and 'old' milk, because of the different stages of digestion, was upsetting her tummy.....it would be much better if I fed her every four hours.

This was very hard, and often I gave in way before the four hours, but it did seem to settle her stomach.....or maybe that was due to another factor, I don't know. She also turned her head resolutely away at nine months and never breast-fed again!

When the second came, there was no way I could be out and about with the first, at playgroups etc., and let her cry until the designated hour for her feed came, so by necessity rather than design, she was fed on demand, and didn't give up the night feed/comfort till she was two.

Same breasts, very different feeding patterns! I wonder if it had any effect on them... (they're 20 & 17 now).

The "not quite four-hourly" one is more patient and uncomplaining, eats whenever and whatever she's given.

The fed on demand one is fussy about food, and still prefers to eat "on demand"[lol].

This may be more to do with their individual natures, but in my case, their early feeding experiences parallel their later feeding behaviour!!

Does this ring any bells with anybody?!

crayola
23-Sep-07, 15:58
Gosh, even I can't find anything to argue with on this page.

Andrew C
23-Sep-07, 16:35
have to say we were a lot less fussy with our second child. Whilst a lot of the stuff that people told us after the first made sense, by the time the second one came along your were a wee bit wiser to know that some of it was just precaution for precautions sake.

Both ours were breastfed and never had a bottle...its done them good. Not sure how better than if they hadn't been, but I certainly notice that the kids get sick much much less than what my sisters and I did when we were brought up on the 'bottle' (no, not the Vodka bottle lol).

Maybe there is something in the 'goodness' of the milk that makes the difference?

Rheghead
24-Sep-07, 00:05
Can anyone tell me why the fear of cot death should lead to us to letting our babies to have flat heads at the back?:roll: Surely nature didn't intend infants to have flat heads from being in the lying down position?:confused

WeeBurd
24-Sep-07, 00:16
Can anyone tell me why the fear of cot death should lead to us to letting our babies to have flat heads at the back? Surely nature didn't intend infants to have flat heads from being in the lying down position?

No fear of that in this house, both Burdies like to sleep on their tummy's with tushies in the air - quite an amusing site [lol].

I once got a talking to from a Health Visitor when WeeBurdie was a bub, as I had her sleeping on her tummy when she came in to see her. I advised her if it allowed the bub to sleep peacefully for a while (at the time she wasn't fond of sleeping!) then I wasn't going to disturb baby by rolling her over, duh! Of course, I always put them both to bed on their backs, but just like us Big 'Uns, they move to a position that's comfy for them.

rockchick
24-Sep-07, 12:52
Can anyone tell me why the fear of cot death should lead to us to letting our babies to have flat heads at the back?:roll: Surely nature didn't intend infants to have flat heads from being in the lying down position?:confused

I believe the logic is that if babies sleep on their fronts they can get snuffled into their blankets or mattress, get insufficient air and suffocate.

I don't think the idea is for everyone to become a flat-head!

My daughter would only ever sleep curled up on her tummy - didn't do her any harm.

Murdina Bug
24-Sep-07, 15:36
My son had a VERY annoying habit of drumming his legs while lying in the cot at night (we shared the same room at the time). This stopped the day/night he learned how to roll over and sleep on his tummy so I guess he was trying to roll over for weeks! He has mainly slept in that position ever since. When he was very small I would sometimes put a small rolled towel under one side or the other through the day so that he wasn't flat on his back all the time. I seem to remember getting a tut tut from someone about that but ignored it as I had seen some report about 'flat heads' and didn't want that to happen!

Like Squidge said you might as well follow your own common sense approach (presuming you have common sense!) as a lot of the 'official' advice is either sponsored by those with a vested interest or made up by a group trying to justify its existence and huge budget!

cat
24-Sep-07, 16:50
left to cry for 25mins!!!
i dont know what that would achieve??
i think i would have to be tied up and have earplugs before i could let my baby cry for that long!
the thing to remember is just relax and do whats right for you and your baby and not what everyone else is doing.they all grow up too fast anyway and by the time they reach school they can all eat,walk and talk!!
they are babies,just love them as much as you can.