PDA

View Full Version : Wagon Wheels?

Snarfer
16-Sep-07, 01:27
They are smaller than they used to be. It's not just that I'm bigger now.

Andrew C
16-Sep-07, 01:28
I presume we are talking biscuits?!? :)

Haven't had on in donkey's years, so couldn't comment! Might have to buy a packet to test your thesis out!

Metalattakk
16-Sep-07, 01:37
Aye, they are smaller now.

They used to be the size of the wheels off a wagon, the same as Curly Wurlys were the size of a window-cleaner's ladder, and Creme Eggs were the size of...well...an egg.

So, whatever did happen to Spangles? And white dog poo? You never see it any more.

Jesus H. Corbett. This messageboard is really trawling the depths these days.

Aaldtimer
16-Sep-07, 02:18
Lucky Tatties!............

hobbes1962
16-Sep-07, 06:12
Aye, they are smaller now.

So, whatever did happen to Spangles? And white dog poo? You never see it any more.

What were white dog poo???? I don't remember that!

bky
16-Sep-07, 07:31
Just as it says - White Dog Poo - the stuff you get on your shoes

northener
16-Sep-07, 08:56
I'm told by my wife that Wagon Wheels are the same size as they originally were, it's just that I have developed a very big gob.;)

White dog poo? I'll see if I can find any, i'll post the piccies on here if I do (or should that be doo-doo?).

Royster1911
16-Sep-07, 09:49
I presume we are talking biscuits?!? :)

Haven't had on in donkey's years, so couldn't comment! Might have to buy a packet to test your thesis out!
Wagon wheels.....Donkeys.... is there a link here that we can`t see????:D

johno
16-Sep-07, 09:55
naw, wagon wheels are definately smaller, i remember when they first came out they were big then about four year,s later ,all at once a new version of them emerged at about two thirds the size they used to be. i believe that their even smaller now. they were three pence each when i first remember them. a threepenny bit.[ rememember that].??

Royster1911
16-Sep-07, 10:06
Thrupenny bits. Yup, I remember them![disgust]

northener
16-Sep-07, 10:15
Eeeeh, them were t'days....

White dog poo - haven't managed to photograph any yet this morning. I've been following a few of the local dog walkers this morning for an hour or two - but nothing white yet.

Had to retreat after one of the dog walkers phoned the police - inconsiderate git.

White dog poo was caused by the large amount of crushed bone (calcium) in some of the brands of dog food. Basically in there as a filler - because dogs eat bones. It's not really put in modern feeds in the massive quantities that used to go in.

So I'm afraid it's gone the same way as Penny Farthings, cobbled streets, Zeppelins and Rickets.

Eeeeh, them were t'days.

Metalattakk
16-Sep-07, 11:53
Shhh, northener, don't give the game away so early! We've had no ill-educated conspiracy theories concerning the lack of white dog poo on our streets yet. Personally, I blame Maggie Thatcher. :lol:

Glad to see that most people are taking this in the humour in which it was intended. Gives me hope that there is indeed a worthwhile reason for this messageboard after all. ;)

nanoo
16-Sep-07, 12:03
Yes, wagon wheels are definately smaller, a good bit smaller at that. Hey!! what did happen to spangles and tatties as well, used to love them both? ;)

johno
16-Sep-07, 12:22
;)
Shhh, northener, don't give the game away so early! We've had no ill-educated conspiracy theories concerning the lack of white dog poo on our streets yet. Personally, I blame Maggie Thatcher.

Glad to see that most people are taking this in the humour in which it was intended. Gives me hope that there is indeed a worthwhile reason for this messageboard after all.
aye, glad some sees it the same way as myself.....;)

MadMaz
16-Sep-07, 13:22
I loved Wagon Wheels, as a child they were hugh you knew you had eaten one. Sadly no more now I am diabetic cannot eat them sigh, and they are a lot smaller.

Thumper
16-Sep-07, 14:14
Wagon wheels don't even taste the same anymore :( You can still get lucky tatties but I think spangles are gone now....on a brighter note tho think of all the calories we have been spared by smaller versions of sweets,cakes and biccies!Still wish they would bring back golden cups I loved them x

northener
16-Sep-07, 14:35
Shhh, northener, don't give the game away so early! We've had no ill-educated conspiracy theories concerning the lack of white dog poo on our streets yet. Personally, I blame Maggie Thatcher. :lol:

I'll tell you what is a conspiracy.

Funny how a lot of the old sweeties have 'disappeared' isn't it?

Not sticking with 'the good old sweeties' can have dire consequences-

The wine producers at Buckfast Abbey are actually a covert Westminster backed organisation dedicated to bringing about of the demise of Scotland as a political power. They have achieved this aim by getting the English sweetie manufacturers to reduce the size of their products in Scotland until they quietly 'disappear' off the shelves altogether. The Neds then have no alternative but to drink Buckfast for their sugar hit.

Thus rendering whole generations incapable of forming any judgements or opinions whatsoever, especially when it comes to the referendum on Independance. Had these kids stuck to Tunnocks' goodies, Lucky Tatties and become politically aware by reading the Broons, then the 'Yes' vote would be overwhelming. As it is now, the only people capable of voting in Scotland are the English.

And we'd like to keep our houses (and estates - mine's a Skoda Fabia) in Scotland as cheap holiday homes, thankyou very much. Then we can live in England eating full sized Wagon Wheels and come up to Scotland
to order our servants about. So guess how we are going to vote.....

Funny how white dog poo disappeared about the same time Thatcher got into No10

Actually, the producers of 'Winalot' are actually a covert Westminster backed org...:eek:

telfordstar
16-Sep-07, 15:39
i agree thier definatly smaller and in the jam wagon wheels im struggling to find the jam in it.

i think that there is a website that does all the "old fashioned" sweeties (sorry) maybe try googling old fashones sweets and see what it comes up with
f

horseman
16-Sep-07, 15:55
A threepenny bit johno-showing your age there-
Yes they are smaller, I have one in my 'piece box' most days. But as with thumper,no the same taste at all.:)

johno
16-Sep-07, 17:06
A threepenny bit johno-showing your age there-
Yes they are smaller, I have one in my 'piece box' most days. But as with thumper,no the same taste at all.:)
Aye horseman, you,r a year or two senior to me so you,ll remember the bob,the tanner & the half crown [2/6 pence] oh & the ten bob note.[lol]
The good old day,s eh . You remember the time you fell of Scorrie,s island
heh heh.

moncur
16-Sep-07, 17:25
bring back creamola foam!

Ash
16-Sep-07, 17:28
i think im the only person who hated cremola foam! lol:D

Thumper
16-Sep-07, 17:34
Love cremola foam too,used to drink it with a wee voddie in it many a time lol.Believe they are in the process of trying to find the recipe to relaunch it....hope so :) x

karia
16-Sep-07, 17:47
Love cremola foam too,used to drink it with a wee voddie in it many a time lol.Believe they are in the process of trying to find the recipe to relaunch it....hope so x

Hi thumper,

You're correct, the recipe went missing and cannot be recreated without the original product.....however, a baker in Kirkwall by the name of Paul Groundwater, has what is believed to be the last unopened tin in existence in his safe and is in negotiation with a sweetie manufacturer. So you may well see its return......sadly, it's is the lemon flavour!:(

Not everyone's favourite...probably why it didn't get consumed!:lol:

karia

Thumper
16-Sep-07, 17:53
LMAO Karia!You def have a point there!I quite liked the lemon but you couldn't beat the rasberry!Good lord I loved the stuff!Used to love another one called rise and shine (I think) it was a powered orange juice drink that you mixed with water and we got it as an occasional treat, tasted not unlike libby's orange C x

MISS K
16-Sep-07, 17:56
i think im the only person who hated cremola foam! lol:D
aaaarrggghhh creamola foam yeuk oh blimey its making my teeth feel funny just thinking about it, so your not a long Ash, my sister was addicted to it, and my dad would call it "gut rot"

karia
16-Sep-07, 18:02
LMAO Karia!You def have a point there!I quite liked the lemon but you couldn't beat the rasberry!Good lord I loved the stuff!Used to love another one called rise and shine (I think) it was a powered orange juice drink that you mixed with water and we got it as an occasional treat, tasted not unlike libby's orange C x

Gee Thumper, I had forgotten all about 'rise and shine', it was luvverly..despite being powdered!:roll:

I do remember that there was almost a kiddie riot in my childhood when Sunquick orange was deemed to have a carciogenic ingredient and all our mums whipped it off us quick smart...of course our tatrazine dependant little bodies went into a massive withdrawal and our blood sugar dived, creating hundreds of little juice craving maniacs.....them were the days!:lol:

Karia

Thumper
16-Sep-07, 18:10
I can't remember sunquick Karia but that maybe because it wasn't a "treat" my mam bought me ...hard childhood me lol!Doesn't sound too healthy though eh?:( Mind you I can just imagine the uproar of all the kids it was taken from x

Julia
16-Sep-07, 21:43
Getting back to white dog poo well it would probably taste better than a 21st century wagon wheel, and what a cheek calling it a 'wheel', it's half the size it used to be and tastes nothing like the original, it should win some sort of prize for having the least amount of chocolate and jam possible in a biscuit.

telfordstar
16-Sep-07, 22:01
Love cremola foam too,used to drink it with a wee voddie in it many a time lol.Believe they are in the process of trying to find the recipe to relaunch it....hope so :) x

ahhh wow i thought i was the only one who drunk it with a wee vodka waht was the reason it was stopped being made anyway???

dunderheed
17-Sep-07, 12:08
Eeeeh, them were t'days....

White dog poo - haven't managed to photograph any yet this morning. I've been following a few of the local dog walkers this morning for an hour or two - but nothing white yet.

Had to retreat after one of the dog walkers phoned the police - inconsiderate git.

White dog poo was caused by the large amount of crushed bone (calcium) in some of the brands of dog food. Basically in there as a filler - because dogs eat bones. It's not really put in modern feeds in the massive quantities that used to go in.

So I'm afraid it's gone the same way as Penny Farthings, cobbled streets, Zeppelins and Rickets.

Eeeeh, them were t'days.

if its zepplins you want i hear there selling tickets for a led one at £120 each ;)

trix
17-Sep-07, 20:26
Still wish they would bring back golden cups I loved them x

aw, i forgot all aboot golden cups....what were they again??

i ken i used til eit them but i cana mind fit they look lek :roll:

karia
17-Sep-07, 20:31
aw, i forgot all aboot golden cups....what were they again??

i ken i used til eit them but i cana mind fit they look lek :roll:

A wee chocolate bar...3 or 4 inches, with the most melting of caramel centres..they had kinda rounded edges.and gold foil wraps!

Yum!

Karia

trix
17-Sep-07, 21:49
A wee chocolate bar...3 or 4 inches, with the most melting of caramel centres..they had kinda rounded edges.and gold foil wraps!

Yum!

aww aye...i mind now. yeah, they were looveelly!! i wonder why they stopt makin them :(
cheers thumper, but i wish ye hed never mentioned them. now am gona be thinkin aboot them (an missin them) for ages [evil]

Thumper
17-Sep-07, 22:34
Join the club Trix I think about them at least once a week :) x

bluelady
18-Sep-07, 19:26
i used to like the sweet chewy bacca, it looked more like sugar worms but was tasty. I think thats disappeared. What was it that fruitbursts used to be called.?

karia
18-Sep-07, 19:28
i used to like the sweet chewy bacca, it looked more like sugar worms but was tasty. I think thats disappeared. What was it that fruitbursts used to be called.?

Do you mean Starbursts?

Opal Fruits...made to make your mouth water!;)

Karia

Fantoosh
19-Sep-07, 17:16
what was creamola foam??

Another thing i have noticed is that i a 10p bag of crisps. you only get about five crisps now. Used to be full. :lol:

angela5
19-Sep-07, 17:22
what was creamola foam??

Another thing i have noticed is that i a 10p bag of crisps. you only get about five crisps now. Used to be full. :lol:

Not just the 10p bags, i've noticed with the Walkers variety they are half full.
An excuse to eat several bags...;)

Thumper
19-Sep-07, 18:02
Fantoosh, creamola foam was a powdered drink you added to water and the top went all bubbly/creamy...it was fab!Total tooth rot stuff BUT sooooooo good :) x

johno
19-Sep-07, 19:02
Highland Toffee, Gobstoppers & Jawbreaker,s. their gone too. :eek:

Thumper
19-Sep-07, 19:07
Johnno, highland toffee used to be a big bar but now its tiny :( I remember feeding a bar of it to my dog as a child and getting a right tongue lashing from my mam cos the dogs jaws were stuck together for hours :)...didnt stop me though cos the next thing I gave him was spacedust,which was WAY better than the popping candy you get now,spacedust nearly shattered your teeth with the bang it gave off x

Aaldtimer
19-Sep-07, 19:49
Highland Toffee, Gobstoppers & Jawbreaker,s. their gone too. :eek:

Try here Johno!

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/toffee-c-17.html
:D

angela5
19-Sep-07, 20:14
I remember feeding a bar of it to my dog as a child and getting a right tongue lashing from my mam cos the dogs jaws were stuck together for hours ...didnt stop me though cos the next thing I gave him was spacedust,which was WAY better than the popping candy you get now,spacedust nearly shattered your teeth with the bang it gave off x

LMAO [lol][lol]

karia
19-Sep-07, 20:27
Hi Guys,

Have you ever fed chocolate to a Hamster?

It tries to store it in its cheeks,..and gets very confused when it starts to melt..a bit cruel..a lot funny!

Karia,..the ashamed for even thinking of it!;)

angela5
19-Sep-07, 20:29
Hi Guys,

Have you ever fed chocolate to a Hamster?

It tries to store it in its cheeks,..and gets very confused when it starts to melt..a bit cruel..a lot funny!

Karia,..the ashamed for even thinking of it!;)

Never tried that.....i won't....i won't....i won't.:lol:

Bobinovich
19-Sep-07, 22:20

Birds Appeal was along the same vein - used to love it :)

Thumper
19-Sep-07, 22:21
ooohh yes I forgot about birds appeal!it was magic too x