PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Chill Best Band Competition 2007

ploo251
15-Sep-07, 20:13
Did anyone hear how local band 'Liquid Blue' did in The Ultimate Chill Best Band Competition 2007 today in Dundee?

Douglas Cowie
16-Sep-07, 18:48
Liquid Blue were runners up to Edinburgh band Callel. Nothing between the bands musically with Liquid Blue getting by far the best audience reaction, but Callel probably edged it due to experience, they used the stage more and looked comfortable with it.
Both bands were given only 10 minutes to soundcheck with Liquid Blue having to go straight on to play after the soundcheck as the doors had been delayed for half an hour. The Caird Hall manager wouldn't delay things any longer and each band had to reduce their set times to make up for the delays.
The problem was with the main acts of the night using up the bulk of the 3 hour set up time. A lot of time was wasted with both the Hedrons and the Hazey Janes insisting on using thier own drum kits and not allowing Liquid Blue or Callel to use them meaning three drum kit balances to be done which was very time consuming. Unfortunatley the hire kit supplied hadn't been checked out and the bass pedal fell apart at the start of Liquid Blue's 3rd song, the soundcrew did manage to get another pedal attached for the start of the last song but it wasn't what you wanted happening when you are trying to win a final. To Gregors credit he kept the song going.
Overall the band enjoyed the experience and learnt a lot from it they were very upbeat despite not winning and at the end of the day it was a fantasic achievement from such a young band to get to the final. They will be recording an EP with the Ultimate Chill as part of their prize so they are looking forward to that.
They have made several new friends and followers all of whom were very impressed by the band, so watch this space.
Thanks again to everyone who wished them well and those who donated money to fund the trip, Liquid Blue are very grateful.

ploo251
16-Sep-07, 21:24
What a shame they did not win but as you say they have done fabulously. It is great to see a local band do so well and it proves the amount of hard work and determination of the band members. I look forward to hearing them again in the near future and well done to all involved.

Douglas Cowie
17-Sep-07, 22:46
What a shame they did not win but as you say they have done fabulously. It is great to see a local band do so well and it proves the amount of hard work and determination of the band members. I look forward to hearing them again in the near future and well done to all involved.

Thanks for that Ploo much appreciated, it was just one of those nights that the cards didn't fall our way but the band is young and they will learn from it and come back stronger.

disfordanger
18-Sep-07, 14:02
yeh unlucky douglas, what do you do in the band? guitar?

Douglas Cowie
18-Sep-07, 15:47
yeh unlucky douglas, what do you do in the band? guitar?

That made me chuckle (and several others no doubt!) I wish!
The band is made up of 3 x 15 year olds and a 17 year old, unfortunately I'm on the wrong side of 50 and my role is purely in an advisory/coordination role (that's posh for general dogsbody!)
My son: Gregor plays drums in the band and I gave guitar lessons to Craig Robertson so I go a long way back with the band.
I do play guitar in an occasional band; Blue Louw with Jamie Sutherland on mouthie but I haven't had much time for that recently, we last played at the harbourfest in Wick.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Sep-07, 22:43
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/features.cfm?id=1489832007

canuck
22-Sep-07, 10:10
Liquid Blue you are to be commended for just walking on the stage at Caird Hall. I was at a concert there last evening and the place is overwhelming.

Good luck with further adventures.