PDA

View Full Version : How feasible is this?

moncur
15-Sep-07, 19:15
So, we all know about the age old problem of rehearsal space being readily available with gear setup without annoying the neighbours..... so i had an idea for when i get my own gaff which is very neighbour friendly. but i want to see how feasible it is bearing in mind its for band practices only.

its a 'silent jam room'

Basically involves an electric drum kit (yes, sacrilige i know! but i aint a drummer so i dont care), all instruments/ amps/ vocals being plugged into a mixing desk then say 4 or 5 sets of wireless headphones for the performers. thus eliminating any need for guitar cabs, monitors, speakers etc when jamming. the result being a band practice where the only thing you hear is the vocals at normal speaking level. plus it means you could practice at pretty much anytime of the day!

I imagine the same could be done involving a PC somehow.

whats your ideas guys?

the_big_mac
15-Sep-07, 19:36
So, we all know about the age old problem of rehearsal space being readily available with gear setup without annoying the neighbours..... so i had an idea for when i get my own gaff which is very neighbour friendly. but i want to see how feasible it is bearing in mind its for band practices only.

its a 'silent jam room'

Basically involves an electric drum kit (yes, sacrilige i know! but i aint a drummer so i dont care), all instruments/ amps/ vocals being plugged into a mixing desk then say 4 or 5 sets of wireless headphones for the performers. thus eliminating any need for guitar cabs, monitors, speakers etc when jamming. the result being a band practice where the only thing you hear is the vocals at normal speaking level. plus it means you could practice at pretty much anytime of the day!

I imagine the same could be done involving a PC somehow.

whats your ideas guys?

Might be being stupid here, but surely you cant just plug the headphones straight into the desk and everything will be readily aplified?

Also, one thing i know for sure, the headphones would have to be top quality for it to be feasible.

Studio66
16-Sep-07, 00:21
Might be being stupid here, but surely you cant just plug the headphones straight into the desk and everything will be readily aplified?

Also, one thing i know for sure, the headphones would have to be top quality for it to be feasible.

think some desks have powered amps in them nowadays, but even if not i dont think you'd need a powerful amp for jammin in a room wi headphones.

Even if the headphone idea doesnt work, you could still have everything coming out of speakers no louder than a regular hi-fi playing cds.

Deemac
16-Sep-07, 02:16
Its just the way I envisage for my own band.

No backline, no monitors, electronic drum kit!!

Everyone with in-ear, wireless monitoring rigs. It also needs a six way aux send desk and lots of money!! You then get the mix you want with no bleed from anyone else!! You can then play any ANY volume you wish!! (that only YOU hear - in-ear)

Trouble is persuading the drummer to ditch the acoustic set-up (and that's me!!)

The only other small issue is we don't ever actually practise either!! (though I don't actually condone this practise, it's just the way it is!!).

The real issue is arranging all the individual mixes and actaully playing with no acoustic noise!! (very non-rock n'roll)

Good luck

Gleber2
16-Sep-07, 17:27
big mac you can buy headphone amps that could run off of the aux, main & sub outputs of a mixer

getting a mixer with more than 4 pre fader aux sends will cost a wee bit tho as most desks have 2

if you got a desk with 4 pre fader aux sends there'll be a phones output as well

hmmmmm imagine not having to deal with a noisy box basher...................:cool:

Chobbersjnr
16-Sep-07, 17:28
big mac you can buy headphone amps that could run off of the aux, main & sub outputs of a mixer

getting a mixer with more than 4 pre fader aux sends will cost a wee bit tho as most desks have 2

if you got a desk with 4 pre fader aux sends there'll be a phones output as well

hmmmmm imagine not having to deal with a noisy box basher...................:cool:

ACH MIN, that should've been me. Sorry G2

davem
16-Sep-07, 17:33
And what about saxophones?
You can buy a silencer for alto but who wants to play alto!

Gleber2
16-Sep-07, 17:58
And what about saxophones?
You can buy a silencer for alto but who wants to play alto!
Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canuck
16-Sep-07, 18:10
....And so nicely that no one would want to silence the music.

Gleber2
16-Sep-07, 20:03
....And so nicely that no one would want to silence the music.
Lady, you spoil us with your compliments!!!!!