PDA

View Full Version : Opr Question

marionq
15-Sep-07, 13:54
In 1803 John Bremner married Catherine Bain and they had a son Alexander. Does anyone have access to the OPR film to see exactly what the marriage said particularly where it took place (the IGI just says Wick) and who were the Contractors (usually a male relative).

If you can throw any light on this it might be the key to a genealogical mystery for me.

Marion

lindadorren
15-Sep-07, 14:25
Marion,

A quick look at the OPR on Scotland's People shows no marriages with the two names you have indicated. I can find one Catherine Bain marrying a Nicol and one John Bremner marrying an Innes I've looked in 01.01.1800 to 31.12.1805 in both Caithness (all parishes) and Sutherland (all parishes).
Do you have any further info which might help?

Linda :~(

marionq
16-Sep-07, 16:55
Yes, I do. I have just remembered that it comes up on the IGI as John Brimner. If you've done any transcribing of old documents you will remember that those (usually ministers) who wrote names down had very idiosyncratic spelling.

Marion

Mamie_2
16-Sep-07, 20:54
I have his parents as Alexander Bremner and Isobell More born 1774 if that helps.
I got the information from Tricia Barnett.

Mamie

Tricia
17-Sep-07, 21:04
23/03/1804 BRIMNER JOHN KATHARINE BAIN/ M Wick /CAITHNESS 043/ 0030 0478

March 23
John Brimner in Sarclet was matrimonally contracted to Katharine Bain in Papigoe. Caut James Brimner in Sarclet and Donald Bain in Staxigoe.

4 children Alex Janet Donald John.

marionq
19-Sep-07, 18:18
That is exactly the information I needed. I am descended from John Bremner's son Alexander (the other 3 children and their mother appear to have died and he married again to Henrietta Sinclair in 1812) and through his daughter Elizabeth Bremner who married Kenneth Fleming of Fanagmore.

Thanks a million Tricia and Mamie.

Marion

marionq
20-Sep-07, 20:11
Tricia, I have been fillling in the gaps and am now wondering how you know that John Bremner who married Catherine Bain is the same one who is the sone of Alexander and Isobell More. I think the naming pattern definitely suggests his father was Alexander but I see another John born the same year but to Isobel Manson.

The James who signed on his marriage cert - is that his brother? Have you researched his siblings? I notice you are a More so I wondered if you knew more about the family he came from?

Thanks for all your help.

Marion