PDA

View Full Version : Air Discount Scheme

ashaw1
15-Sep-07, 12:30
I just wondered how many of you out there had the Air Discount Scheme cards and actually found them of any use. We went up to the airport the other day to book a return flight to Edinburgh and were shocked by the price. £190 with the discount, we gave up and booked the bus for £30. What is the point?

scorrie
15-Sep-07, 12:57
I posted about the scheme some time ago. For the flights I was interested in, the discount was rubbish. A few people posted that it worked OK for them on some flights but I found a uniform level of derisory savings.

pat
15-Sep-07, 13:06
If you book at airport or travel agent you pay supplements - if you book on line it is cheaper, plus it saves trip to airport/travel agent.
Cheaper to fly in Scotland than before ADS came in but it is still more expensive than many other countries.
Cheaper to fly Atlantic than to fly from Stornoway to Wick/Lerwick/Kirkwall.

dragonfly
15-Sep-07, 14:17
I have booked several flights from Wick to Aberdeen via the Eastern Airways ADS booking webpage and on average saved £20 per return flight. Also booked a return trip with BA from Wick, via Edinburgh, to Gatwick and got it for £121 each which I think is brilliant as it saves the journey to Inverness, the car parking charges there for a week and the fuel we would have used.

We're delighted with it :D

lynne duncan
15-Sep-07, 16:03
we were looking at flying from wick via aberdeen to eastmids the other week, eventually ended up driving, but before that we did price the flights online for the return would have been (with the ADS) £110 yet when checked with travel agents it would have been £430. strange the difference, so it would pay to check the online prices

Tristan
15-Sep-07, 16:10
The cards only work with the first leg of a flight. If you have to fly to Aberdeen first the second part of your flight is at full cost.

For east midlands it is worth checking out Inverness Airport and Ryanair.

young
15-Sep-07, 16:22
find it useful when travelling from wick to aberdeen only cost £40 which is cheaper than petrol and paying to keep the car at airpark whilst away offshore

Rheghead
15-Sep-07, 18:25
I flew to Aberdeen last November, I booked online at short notice (on the day of flying), I could not find anywhere to claim my reduction on the booking page, it cost me £155 for a one way flight. It is pathetic.

docker
15-Sep-07, 20:11
I flew to Aberdeen last November, I booked online at short notice (on the day of flying), I could not find anywhere to claim my reduction on the booking page, it cost me £155 for a one way flight. It is pathetic.

Rheghead,

You have to log-on and use your card before you start to book the flight. When you go to Eastern's web page look at the right hand side near the bottom there is a link – ADS, when you click on this you then have to enter your ADS number and pin, it then takes you onto the booking site and any fare that is quoted has the discount already taken off. If you go straight to the book a flight link there is no way to apply for your discount. I use it the whole time between Wick and Aberdeen for going offshore and I save a fair bit.

dragonfly
15-Sep-07, 20:55
here are the ADS webpages for booking with British Airways (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/cugairdiscount/public/en_gb) and Eastern Airways (http://www.planitas-onlined1.com/Eastern2/HTML/ads.html)

binbob
15-Sep-07, 21:11
can u please explain this to me???and tell me how to get it??

thank u

Rheghead
15-Sep-07, 21:21
Rheghead,

You have to log-on and use your card before you start to book the flight. When you go to Eastern's web page look at the right hand side near the bottom there is a link – ADS, when you click on this you then have to enter your ADS number and pin, it then takes you onto the booking site and any fare that is quoted has the discount already taken off. If you go straight to the book a flight link there is no way to apply for your discount. I use it the whole time between Wick and Aberdeen for going offshore and I save a fair bit.

OK, thanks for that, I was in a rush to get to Aberdeen and I probably never looked hard enough. I probably was unfair to Eastern and I'm the one who is pathetic! :)

dragonfly
15-Sep-07, 21:22
the Air Discount Scheme (ADS) (http://www.airdiscountscheme.com/airds/CCC_FirstPage.jsp) gives discounted travel for those living in remote areas of Scotland to any airport in Scotland so if you are travelling to Gatwick with BA your flight between Wick and Edinburgh will be discounted but not the Edinburgh to Gatwick bit (but that is usually cheaper anyway)

its good for travelling from Wick to Aberdeen - a lot of offshore workers use it as its cheaper than driving to Aberdeen

binbob
15-Sep-07, 21:39
thank you very much..

aljacan
17-Sep-07, 10:35
If your are flying through Edinburgh it is easier to phone 08448002855 and book your flights that way than to go online. It is the same price as online and they do not take a surcharge for credit cards. Only problem it is a busy line and you may have to leave a message on answer phone, but they will get back to you quite quickly. Have used this method any time want a flight and found them very helpfull.

aljacan
17-Sep-07, 10:38
I managed to get a return from Wick to Edinburgh for just over £58.00. Had to be booked about a month in advance, but for that price it was definately worth it.

jacktar
17-Sep-07, 19:38
can't find the link on eastern home page?help!

dragonfly
17-Sep-07, 19:59
see post #10 above for Eastern Airways ADS logon page

young
19-Sep-07, 19:24
see post #10 above for Eastern Airways ADS logon page

post #10 is for the british airways ads logon page not eastern airways.:confused. i was also looking on eastern airways webpage for the ads logon page but cant seem to see it. i usually phone through to wick travel agents and get it cheaper there than online

octane
19-Sep-07, 20:02
I was fogged in at Aberdeen due to it being "pea-soup" in Wick a few months back, Eastern Airways put on taxi's for the passengers which was good of them, the meter stopped at £328 which i thought was pretty nuts.

dragonfly
19-Sep-07, 20:24
post #10 is for the british airways ads logon page not eastern airways.:confused. i was also looking on eastern airways webpage for the ads logon page but cant seem to see it. i usually phone through to wick travel agents and get it cheaper there than online

its definately there Young - just click on the words Eastern Airways in the quote below

here are the ADS webpages for booking with British Airways (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/cugairdiscount/public/en_gb) and Eastern Airways (http://www.planitas-onlined1.com/Eastern2/HTML/ads.html)

young
20-Sep-07, 12:35
its definately there Young - just click on the words Eastern Airways in the quote below

the words below are brittish airways not eastern airways and they dont fly from aberdeen to wick?

dragonfly
20-Sep-07, 13:36
erm?!?!? not sure what you are looking at but I have definately posted the EASTERN AIRWAYS Link and it does go from Wick - Aberdeen - Wick?!!??!!??!?

here it is again

Eastern Airways (http://www.planitas-onlined1.com/Eastern2/HTML/ads.html)