PDA

View Full Version : School dinners

bluelady
15-Sep-07, 01:47
Love them or hate them, what did you like / dislike?
I liked their Cabbage, mashed potato and Gypsy tart (1960's) I cannae remember any dislikes, it was all home made cooking.

Jeemag_USA
15-Sep-07, 01:53
Well it was a long time ago. I seem to remember in Miller acadamey things like a moulded ice cream scoop full of mash, two slices of spam, some cold boiled cabbage and beetroot. Followed by creamed rice and bits of peaches accompanied by the scowling face of Mrs Budge and her big spoon. She gave the whole place the feel of Oliver Twist's soup kitchen :L

They were no bad though in my day I have to say, and pretty healthy mostly. I remember Apple Crumble and Custard was the thing everyone looked forward too.

bluelady
15-Sep-07, 02:06
Ive just remembered a rhyme re school dinners,
Gypsy tart makes you fart
apple crumble makes it rumble
custard powder makes it louder

anyone remember e rest?[lol]

JAWS
15-Sep-07, 05:29
I certainly remember school meals. It was a long time ago but I still remember there were always two choices, take it or leave it! :D But that was before the days of the Health Gestapo with their insistence of “Five a day” (does anybody know why five and not four or six?) and this is bad for you and that’s not good for you and you mustn’t drink that but you must eat this.

I’m at a complete loss to understand how we managed to survive before Jamie Oliver gave everybody the benefit of his wisdom. If we had been offered that rubbish I suspect that, apart from the overweight “eat everything in sight crew” most of us would definitely have taken the “leave it” option.

cuddlepop
15-Sep-07, 09:56
Mince and tatties was good and like the others apple crumble was a favourite too.

I hated Tapioca or frogs eggs as we called them:lol:

connieb19
15-Sep-07, 10:01
I wonder why the custard was pink and not yellow? :eek:

cuddlepop
15-Sep-07, 10:05
I wonder why the custard was pink and not yellow? :eek:
Its suppose to be strawberry flavoured custard thats why its pink.
Dont remember it tasting of stawberrys though do you?:confused

connieb19
15-Sep-07, 10:07
I canna remember it tasting like anything lol. I hated school dinners though, luckily I lived close enough to the school to go home. I can remember the horrible smell coming from the dinner centre though. :eek:

Rheghead
15-Sep-07, 10:54
Tatie hash was my favorite, I avoided cow pats (curried mince) and frog spawn(tapioca pudding) with a vengeance.

johno
15-Sep-07, 11:46
crikey, from reading the threads ,im now glad that i ,ve never ever had a school dinner. i to lived close enough to the school to just go home.
i remember skinks horse & cart that used to go to the dinner centre and collect the pigs swill & it sure did stink.

mums angels
15-Sep-07, 11:52
I seem to remember black pudding with everymeal :( and mrs budge with her spoon still gives me nightmares :eek:

My kids go school dinners most days and they seem to really like them , the new menus are very healthy and have a good range week to week. I find they are also less likley to need snacks after school too which is always a plus

Valerie Campbell
15-Sep-07, 18:07
Having worked in a school kitchen, I wouldn't let my kids go. Ok, the food's ok, not brilliant, but it's not as it seems...

karia
15-Sep-07, 18:30
Hi Folks,

Never had a school dinner, I developed a mortal fear of them based on the strange smelling grey mush that burbled and percolated out of the drain adjacent to the kitchens!:eek:

Can still smell it just typing this.[disgust]

karia

karia
15-Sep-07, 18:54
Hi Again,

When my OH was a wee lad at school in Port Skerra, the cook was a neighbour of his and he loved her cooking as did the other kids.

One day however, she served up tapioca and all the other kids turned up their noses at it. He knew that he liked it so had a bowl then worried about the poor woman's feelings went back for another..and another....and another!

He was physically restrained from having bowl no.5,..... not bad for a six year old!:roll:

And no...he wasn't ill!:eek:

Karia

Bobinovich
15-Sep-07, 19:05
I remember fondly Mrs Coghill, the head cook from Castletown Primary, who, as a neighbour now of my Gran, I found out also remembers me. Why does she remember me after 30+ years you might ask? For always going up for seconds :lol:

Those who know me can atest to my spare tyre, part of which was her doing :Razz

I pretty much ate everything (surprise surprise!) but have never been able to stomach tapioca or rice pudding.

changilass
15-Sep-07, 19:28
You wern't the only one that went up for seconds at Castletown school bob, the food was lovely, must check the cupboars for 'frog spawn' yummy

helenwyler
15-Sep-07, 20:10
I remember steak and kidney pie, and a kind of tart with a blancmange-type filling and the yummiest (probably synthetic) buttercream spiral blob on top..............sounds hideous but was really good:eek:.

I still think of it sometimes.........aah![lol]

karia
15-Sep-07, 20:16
I remember steak and kidney pie, and a kind of tart with a blancmange-type filling and the yummiest (probably synthetic) buttercream spiral blob on top..............sounds hideous but was really good.

I still think of it sometimes.........aah!

Oh Helen,

To think I had you pegged as having the talent of Delia and the looks of Nigella..and there you are hankering after synthetic puds...shame on you!;)

Karia

Dadie
15-Sep-07, 20:16
mars bar slice was 1 of my faves
my youngest sister used to be sick every friday afternoon until it was noticed that she was only unwell after eating the angel delight.
mondays used to be soup and sandwiches usually tomato soup and cheese sandwiches as we had swimming lessons in the morning

Julia
15-Sep-07, 20:19
I hated the arctic roll we used to get... soggy sponge and tasteless ice cream, loved the frog spawn tho, still do LOL

karia
15-Sep-07, 20:23
mondays used to be soup and sandwiches usually tomato soup and cheese sandwiches as we had swimming lessons in the morning

Ok I'll bite,

What links the soup and sarnies with the swimming lessons?

karia

bekisman
15-Sep-07, 20:26
At our primary school no one liked the sausages, but I loved 'em, and, as no one else liked them, I got theirs as well, and so my nickname of 'Sausage' was born, which (on bumping into an old friend I had not seen for 54 years) was confirmed recently with "hello sausage"!
Even recently on visiting my old village an old (very old) lady or gentlemen would still call me by the name - to the consternation of my companions..

karia
15-Sep-07, 20:30
Hi sausage,

See you found your font!;)

Karia

helenwyler
15-Sep-07, 22:11
Oh Helen,

To think I had you pegged as having the talent of Delia and the looks of Nigella..and there you are hankering after synthetic puds...shame on you!

Karia

Heehee:)!

Well I'm younger than Delia and slimmer than Nigella, and do have the odd culinary 'moment'....

....but those were innocent and hungry days back then, karia. A girl had to eat what she could get[lol]!

corgiman
15-Sep-07, 22:27
I used to love rainbow jelly mmmmmmm

sam
15-Sep-07, 22:28
we had brilliant school dinners,:D sometimes the custard was lumpy but it depened on the cook :eek:

Ricco
16-Sep-07, 15:38
I loved macaroni / cheese and chips, with big oatie bisscuits and custard for dessert. Yumm!

Dadie
16-Sep-07, 15:39
i dont really know why swimming lessons always = soup and sandwiches
mebe it was to warm us up or the fact that soup could be kept warm and the sandwiches cold till we got back.

horseman
16-Sep-07, 15:45
Plum duff an custard-the sort of stuff the gods fed on;)

karia
16-Sep-07, 15:48
i dont really know why swimming lessons always = soup and sandwiches
mebe it was to warm us up or the fact that soup could be kept warm and the sandwiches cold till we got back.

Thanks Dadie..mystery solved!;)

karia

Thumper
16-Sep-07, 16:44
Its not a school dinner but it's one of my favourites from childhood...jellyfoam!I love the stuff and regret to say that no matter how hard I try I still can't make it :mad: My Mum makes it for me if I am feeling poorly though :) It's almost worth faking being ill just to get a bowlful of it x

helenwyler
16-Sep-07, 16:51
What's jellyfoam Thumper:eek:?

My mum used to make jelly with milk instead of water sometimes, and the result was half a nearly clear jelly at the bottom and a sort of bubbly, creamier layer at the top...it wasn't that was it?

helen

cuddlepop
16-Sep-07, 16:53
Jelly foam is one little treat our kids aren't going to get with the new healthy eating menu.s

Evaporated milk is the secret ingredient.;)

Thumper
16-Sep-07, 17:30
yip cuddlepop you got it in 1! Love the stuff but I always forget to whip it up evry 10mins or so before it sets and end up with milk jelly instead of jellyfoam :( x

Anne x
16-Sep-07, 19:56
Cattlecake we called a oatie biscuit thing that took a sledge hammer to get through with custard

also Fluff Jelly and Carnation milk whipped till it was like Fluff

ah Ma Morrison and her school dinners

ellie-lou
16-Sep-07, 21:29
I Went To Miller Academy The Jam Tart And Custard Was Ace But Mrs Budges Face Wasnt.:d