PDA

View Full Version : chew this over!

karia
14-Sep-07, 20:34
Evening Folks,

Bristol University has invented a 'chewing gum' that does not stick and is bio- degradable.

Sounds frivolous until you realise that Edinburgh spends £500 a day on removing gum from the streets.and has just purchased a £20,000 pressure washer chewing gum remover machine....Glasgow spent £400,000 last year on the same problem.

Many councils are using impounded drug-dealing money to clear the streets of............gum!:roll::eek:

Your thoughts?

Karia

Dadie
14-Sep-07, 20:36
isnt gum banned in saudi or somewhere .. i cant quite remember..?

canuck
14-Sep-07, 20:38
I would think that if it was so effectively biodegraded that it would dissolve in the chewers mouth long before it hit the pavement. But I am not a gum chewer so I might be off the mark here.

karia
14-Sep-07, 20:55
isnt gum banned in saudi or somewhere .. i cant quite remember..?

Hi Dadie,

Singapore banned chewing gum in 1992, but has relaxed its rules to allow 'therapeutic chewing' :roll:

I would think that if it was so effectively biodegraded that it would dissolve in the chewers mouth long before it hit the pavement. But I am not a gum chewer so I might be off the mark here.

Evening canuck,

It's the newly invented stuff that is bio degradable..the old stuff is only too visible in wee whitish blobs all over our pavements.

A fabulous artist, whose name I (unforgivably!) forget, went around painting exquisite miniatures on these street markings...and they were astounding..but £500/day to remove chewed gum??:eek:

Karia

Dadie
14-Sep-07, 21:00
I knew it began with an S ..
my brain has turned to mush after todays "excitment"
i personally quite like the chewing gum with menthol when i have a stuffy nose but i tend to wrap it up when finished with and use a bin ..
if only everyone did the same it wouldnt cause a problem.

bluelady
15-Sep-07, 01:36
good news for those that swallow gum ![lol]