PDA

View Full Version : remarkable

johno
14-Sep-07, 11:45
A 17 year old Czech speedway rider , only a few days in Scotland with practically no english.[ he could hardly string a sentence together] was run over by another speedway rider, he came to after about an hour talking perfect English. his team chief says that he [ Majek Cus] talked English as good as any news reader . this i find remarkable.
Maybe the brain registers & stores everything we ever hear & see ,and we just have,nt developed the power to utilise the capabilities that we all possess to it,s full extent. :eek:.
crikey perhaps all we need to become genuise,s is a good smack to the head.

nanoo
14-Sep-07, 11:57
Hi Johno, Maybe your right. Tell you what! I'll go after you, okay? Te He :lol:

Julia
14-Sep-07, 13:03
I watched a documentary on this subject, an American woman had an accident after which she only spoke with an English accent, it was a broad accent too but I don't remember which. Anyhoo her family insisted she was putting it on but after tests it was discovered she wasn't

johno
14-Sep-07, 13:16
[quote=nanoo;271688]Hi Johno, Maybe your right. Tell you what! I'll go after you, okay? Te Hequote]
uh, if we bang our head,s together, maybe it,ll work or might make us both senseless. ? :eek: [lol].

Solus
14-Sep-07, 13:30
Hmm, this is a problem i encounter on a regular basis, although it does not included a bump to the head ! My good lady has identified times when i start to talk in the most unusual language that is yet to be understood or even identified ! its is sporadic and usually happens late in the evening whilst i have been out and about with a few friends or indeed at home with some company, it is a garbbled gutteral language with intermittent grunts with a splattering of the odd english word, it is also contagious and it seems to effect those i am socializing with. By the next day i am back to my usual self talking english but it leaves me tired and sick feeling ! weird !!!

Thumper
14-Sep-07, 13:40
LOL nice one solus! Actually this is more common that people may think,there is a syndrome called "foreign" sydrome (I think) and people that have had a stroke or trauma to the head can suffer from this.They start talking with a french or other accent so I suppose it makes sense that someone "foreign" would then start talking with an english accent...weird how our brains work isn't it ? x

changilass
14-Sep-07, 15:09
Can't get the link to work

somone had posted a link ...... honest

Bobinovich
14-Sep-07, 15:36
I think the link should have been to here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/health/2300395.stm)

Thumper
14-Sep-07, 15:40
Oops here's me telling you all about it and it was in the news story all along...sorry x

sassylass
14-Sep-07, 16:50
This is fascinating, thanks for that link. The brain is remarkable in it's powers and vulnerabilities. How wonderful for patients to have this syndrome validated, and for doctors too. Often doctors dismiss a problem as more likely to be psychiatric in origin than physical, when they have exhausted their expertise. Just like we all do. We all want answers to questions and when we cannot scientifically solve the problems, we create our own answers.

Rheghead
14-Sep-07, 18:38
This must be a hoax.

It is impossible to learn a language by just listening. How did he learn the words that he didn't hear, how did he learn the gramma without being taught? I think he knew more than he was letting on.

Camel Spider
14-Sep-07, 18:47
I do this all the time .. after an 8 pack of Stella and a few Jack Daniel's I lose the ability to speak english and become fluent in swahili .. ;)

I remember reading about a man who after being involved in a car accident lost all sense of emotion. He could remember who people were but just couldnt connect with them, it was tragic.

Thumper
14-Sep-07, 18:48
Sorry Rheghead but this really can happen!Not that long ago a guy had a stroke and when he could eventually speak again he spoke with a french accent.I am not sure about learning an entire new language but the accent bit can definately happen x

helenwyler
14-Sep-07, 18:55
Can't get the link to work

somone had posted a link ...... honest

It was me changilass, but it didn't work:lol: so I deleted it...sorry!

You can find articles under 'foreign accent sydrome'.

Helen

scorrie
14-Sep-07, 19:10
Sorry Rheghead but this really can happen!Not that long ago a guy had a stroke and when he could eventually speak again he spoke with a french accent.I am not sure about learning an entire new language but the accent bit can definately happen x

As far as I am aware, sufferers still talk in their native language, it is only the accent that has changed. There was a British woman who emerged from a coma and started talking with a Jamaican accent. It must be a bit disconcerting to sound like Bob Marley all of a sudden!!

Thumper
14-Sep-07, 19:51
Yeah Scorrie you have a point :) might be fun for a while but must be very frustrating! I am bad enough for copying people's accents after speaking to somebody for 5 mins,half the time they think I am taking the proverbial when it's just something I can't help....the stronger the accent the more likely I am to pick it up! Did think it was the accent rather than a language that changed in these cases though,but maybe he did have a slight basic knowledge of english as lets face it most people do now, it's just us lot that are lazy with second languages x