PDA

View Full Version : Scotlands spending to be slashed

peter macdonald
13-Sep-07, 17:28
From todays Herald

Scottish Government spending plans for the next three years are being squeezed more than expected, with an increase in funds of only half that previously assumed.

It was revealed yesterday that John Swinney, the Finance Secretary at Holyrood, is assuming there will only be an increase "in the region of 1%" above the rate of inflation when the Treasury announces its allocation for Scotland.

Previously, budget planning had assumed an increase of 1.9%, which was the figure used by Gordon Brown when he was Chancellor and gave an indication of likely spending in this year's UK Budget.
advertisement

This makes a potential difference of more than £250 million for each of the next three years in the level of spending available to the SNP administration.

The figure will not become known until the new Chancellor, Alistair Darling, announces allocations for Whitehall departments and the three devolved administrations, in a statement next month.

Mr Swinney will then use that allocation as the basis for his three-year plans.

The Holyrood administration has been making clear that the spending plans will be much tighter than the past eight years, but the 1% assumption is much tighter than previously acknowledged.

Ah well there can only be a couple of reasons for this 1) That will learn the people of Scotland to democraticly vote in a Government that is NOT Nu Labour or 2) to pay for the London Olympics which will "benefit the whole country" according to our friends at Westminster I wonder which country they mean???
Sad Sad but what do you expect from such a inept self seeking bunch ??
PM

Rheghead
13-Sep-07, 17:34
Sad Sad but what do you expect from such a inept self seeking bunch ??
PM

I think it is too early to draw on any conclusion on the performance of the SNP.

Andrew C
13-Sep-07, 18:38
I think it is too early to draw on any conclusion on the performance of the SNP.

It seemed to me more to be a comment on the fact that Labour might be responding poorly to having been ousted at the last election by with-holding cash. I don't necessarily think that, but I think thats what was being said.

cheers
AC

JAWS
14-Sep-07, 00:40
I agree with you on that, Rheghead. (I've even shocked myself with that, I never though I would be jumping to the defence of the Scottish Storm Troopers!) ;)
I don't think it is something aimed specifically at Scotland, I suspect that now Gordon's got the job as PM he will insist the squeeze goes on now so there can be some handouts ready for when the General Election is due.

golach
14-Sep-07, 00:44
Best way to save Scotland money.....sack Two Cheques Eck

peter macdonald
14-Sep-07, 11:42
It will be interesting to see what the figures are for the rest of the UK My own feeling is that there is a bit of both here These Olympics are going to cost the earth and its us that are going to be paying with absolutely no benefit to anyone outside the SE of England
PM
I bet they will be calling us Brits again soon (shiver down back bone!!)

Tony
14-Sep-07, 21:29
Or it could be by holding back the tools for our new leader he will make a botch job of it and prove unpopular in preparation for an election.